The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-18-2017, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Vanity Fair published an article on the 2 very different queens,Sofia and Letizia.There has been much tabloid talk over the summer of a serious rift between the mother and daughter in law .

http://www.revistavanityfair.es/real...na-sofia/26128

Translation

https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url

Old 03-28-2018, 05:07 PM
Aristocracy

They have very different styles but I've always had the impression Letizia and Sofia got along well.

If not, they truly know how to put on a major show in public.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:25 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronprinz View Post
They have very different styles but I've always had the impression Letizia and Sofia got along well.

If not, they truly know how to put on a major show in public.
Very true. I personally take anything written in this tabloid format with a grain of salt. This reporter does not actually know and has only repeated stories of other publications. Until I read an actual interview by either Letizia or Sofia about how they hate each other, I discredit. The media and gossips would just love to have an out-and-out battle between the two so they can clap their hands in glee. Hell, some stupid people are still blaming Letizia for Cristina's family's embezzlement problems and the reason for court case and future jail time of son-in-law. Media blood suckers..........blaaaaa
Old 03-29-2018, 09:26 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Sofia is one of the best actresses around, a royal Meryl Streep so to say.
Letizia not so much.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:37 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Sofia is one of the best actresses around, a royal Meryl Streep so to say.
Letizia not so much.
What does this mean? I'm sure that boht of them are capable of "acting" If you mean acting graciously in public.. and concealing it if they have problems or dslike certaian things.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:11 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
What does this mean? I'm sure that boht of them are capable of "acting" If you mean acting graciously in public.. and concealing it if they have problems or dslike certaian things.
Sofia is able to smile away everything and anything, Letizia sometimes can't conceal personal emotion (eg she looked visibly uncomfortable when Cristina showed up at the funeral of Infanta Alicia).
Old 03-29-2018, 01:22 PM
Heir Apparent

I think Letizia admires Queen Sofia, and both have a good relationship. But they are not best friends.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

We really do not know what happens, but as always they have invented a story in which Letizia is the main culprit ... even if she is on her back and one can not see her face or gestures.

Queen Sofia is always a saint and victim of her husband or in this case, her daughter-in-law, when I believe that the main culprit is her for her efforts to force the photos. Sofia is always very insistent with forcing her grandchildren to pose, girls especially Leonor, seem uncomfortable to be seized by the grandmother and be forced to pose.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:39 PM
Majesty

Of course Lula
It's just sad that the two adults put the kids in this situation.

apparently Marie-Chantal has responded to the situation
https://twitter.com/MarieChantalUK/s...99198493306883
http://www.elmundo.es/loc/casa-real/...14e8b4591.html
Old 04-03-2018, 01:39 PM
Royal Highness

It’s true we don’t know what the context of the scene was but taking it at face value it looks pretty bad on Letizia’s part.

In the videos I’ve seen the two girls look completely lost without an adult right there guiding their actions. They don’t know where to look, they don’t know where to stand, in one video Leonor almost runs to catch up with her father and tries to cling to his hand I believe as they’re entering the church.

In the video that’s causing so much controversy it looks to me like Sofia is trying to do two things. One, pose with her granddaughters, likely because she’s a proud grandmother AND because she’s been playing this game for a long time and knows that these sorts of images are what make the majority of people at least momentarily care about the monarchy. Two, show the girls how to handle this sort of situation without looking like deer in headlights.

Neither girl was being forced to do anything at the start and Leonor only started to protest once her mother got involved. At that point she - a twelve year old who was just deemed to be worthy of one of Spain’s highest honours - proceeds to shove her grandmother’s arm off her shoulders. I don’t care what the circumstances were leading up to this unfortunate incident - that is completely unacceptable and if I were Felipe after watching it Little Miss Leonor would be put in her place hard and fast, regardless of whatever excuse Letizia made for her.

I have to say, the best part of it all is Juan carlos’s face while he watches it all happen. Priceless.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:55 PM
Heir Apparent

I can not comment because the video lasts only a few seconds. We do not know what happened next.

Marie-Chantal should avoid commenting. It can become unpleasant.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Actually the scene is at the end of the mass, Juan Carlos walks slowly and Felipe is still waving. Probably, they were just waiting for the press officer or the security people to let them out.

Here is a video with a wider plane.

http://www.antena3.com/noticias/espa...77fc40279.html
Old 04-03-2018, 03:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Goodness doesn’t look good but it’s only a few seconds and maybe security related
Old 04-03-2018, 03:15 PM
Courtier

I've read on TRF and other sites that they aren't as close and that Sofia has complained about not seeing her grandaughters that much. Also its true Letizia can't hide her emotions that well but we are all different. I've also read that Letizia is a bit cold and distant but maybe she's too professional and lacks charisma.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:17 PM
Nobility

I think we dont know what happened in that scene, maybe it was protecting sofia and leonor. Imo it was leonor who removed q.sofias arm.
About MC i dont care about this women and she is the last person who should talk about family and grandparents. ( a few years ago King Constantin had an operation and wanted his family for christmas on his side, but Madame MC decided to go to Bahamas with her family) I always thought she dont like letizia, maybe more after the inaki cristina scandal. Im sorry if this is off topic.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:18 PM
Courtier

I don't care if the video is 20 seconds or 20 minutes, that is clearly not a happy scene at all, however people try to spin it.

Letizia is clearly deliberately blocking a picture of Sofia with her granddaughters and Leonor takes her cue from her mother and pushes her grandmother away with something approaching disdain.

So, so sad. The articles I've read on this suggest that Letizia completely controls the two girls and Sofia rarely sees them which hurts her greatly. Given Sofia's marriage has been a complete sham for a very long time and how she dotes on her grandchildren, it's even more sad.

Felipe looked rather helpless, which fits in with the narrative that Letizia very much rules the roost. Not sure that's a good look for a reigning monarch.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:41 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Wow, the most shocking thing for me here is MC getting involved so publicly. Of course she has insight into the dynamics of the SRF or is even part of them, her making this comment speaks volumes about what is going on behind the scenes.

I've seen countless videos and pictures Letizia remote-controlling the girls, constantly touching them, fiddling with their hair, watching their every step and gestures. Many might think of it as motherly love or affection but it always gives me the creeps.

True we don't know the background and I don't want to take sides, Sofia for sure is as much proud grandmother as knowing very cleverly to use grandchildren as props for positive PR and Letizia likes to be in control of everything, situations like these will now easily occur since the girls are getting too old to hide them away all the time or put them through a short choreography and leave. I agree the girls seem lost without guidance since they have never been without it.

Very unfortunate to see something something like this in public and a wider family member commenting on it in such a way.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:01 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post

True wedon't know the background and I don't want to take sides, Sofia for sure is as much proud grandmother as knowing very cleverly to use grandchildren as props for positive PR and Letizia likes to be in control of everything, situations like these will now easily occur since the girls are getting too old to hide them away all the time or put them through a short choreography and leave. I agree the girls seem lost without guidance since they have never been without it..
I've read (gossip) stories that Queen Sofia even has to give treats like candy or chocolate secretly to the girls because Letizia doesn't allow them to eat sugar, but that is probably fake news.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:36 PM
Serene Highness

Not sure what to make of this:

Footage shows 'tense scene' between Letizia of Spain and Queen Sofia during their Easter service | Daily Mail Online

Tags
aristocracy, felipe vi, froilán de marichalar, juan carlos, juan urdangarín, miguel urdangarin, monarchy, pablo urdangarín, queen sofia, relationships, sofia (1938 -), spain, spanish royal family, victoria de marichalar