Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall: Visit to Spain - March 30-31, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Loved seeing them in Spain.
I hope they plan a visit to Sweden.

It just goes to show that being born royal and wearing designer clothes is no guarantee of good manners. They seem incredibly proud of the fact that their Crown Prince publicly displayed the worst royal manners seen in decades! Insulting your guests at a Formal Reception is incredibly vulgar.

Since speeches are written in advance of such occasions this was a calculated and deliberate slap in the face to Prince Charles and to Her Majesty and her Government. How lucky we are that Prince Charles knows a political manoeuvre when he sees one and did not take the opportunity to deploy his well honed wit and spontaneously reciprocate.

I thought the Spanish Royal Family had more "class".

The Visit to Spain

Prince Charles can be utterly charming! He gives the most romantic hand kisses of anyone these days. He certainly had Letizia almost swooning!

Camilla looked great in the lovely blue gown and wondrous diamonds. She certainly can carry them off!

I agree with you, KittyAtlanta, the cream dress was just lovely! And I found a close up of the jacket and it is clearly the Lily of the Valley brooch!

I also liked the navy dress (better photos of it when the arrived at the Ritz) with the square neckline.

She held her own with the lovely Letizia...

It just goes to show that being born royal and wearing designer clothes is no guarantee of good manners. They seem incredibly proud of the fact that their Crown Prince publicly displayed the worst royal manners seen in decades! Insulting your guests at a Formal Reception is incredibly vulgar.

Since speeches are written in advance of such occasions this was a calculated and deliberate slap in the face to Prince Charles and to Her Majesty and her Government. How lucky we are that Prince Charles knows a political manoeuvre when he sees one and did not take the opportunity to deploy his well honed wit and spontaneously reciprocate.

All Felipe had been saying was that 'I also express my wish that both governments make progress towards a new solution to our historical bilateral dispute', why is it an insult to Charles or QEII ? Charles is pretty much treated like the Head of State in Spain, the speech made by Felipe is rather standard for a state dinner, all the details should have been pre approved by the foreign ministry and reflected the thoughts of the Spanish government.

Last edited:
donnaK said:
All Felipe had been saying was that 'I also express my wish that both governments make progress towards a new solution to bilateral our historic controversy', why is it an insult to Charles or QEII ? Charles is pretty much treated like the Head of State in Spain, the speech made by Felipe is rather standard for a state dinner, all the details should have been pre approved by the foreign ministry and reflected the thoughts of the Spanish government.

Maybe you have to know the back ground or that translate strangly because the sentance made no sense to me....

Maybe you have to know the back ground or that translate strangly because the sentance made no sense to me....

He was hoping both countries make progress in resolving the historical bilateral dispute over Gilbraltar. There were talks on the British side to include Gilbraltar on the agenda, but finally Charles didn't visit Gilbraltar. Before the gala, the Spanish PM and Charles held a talk on bilateral 'cooperation' to solve the Gibraltar dispute.

Spain and Britain pledge to work on solving Gibraltar dispute - Monsters and Critics

Do you honestly think that Felipe will read a speech at such an important event that hasnt been "okayed" by any ministry that is possibly involved? I am sure there were no suprises at all for Charles or his entourage, usually all issues are being dealt with in advance by people who are behind the scenes, while royals do the media part and talk within the boundaries the goverments have already set.

:previous: If the Formal Dinner was a pre arranged political discussion Prince Charles would have replied in kind as per the Foreign Office guideline, he did not.

So while the Spanish may have okayed it I doubt very much the British got a heads up or Prince Charles speech would have been a diplomatic response. Instead he was speaking on an entirely different subject and the local papers are celebrating the Fillipe's trouncing of Charles.

This is one of Letizia's best dressed event. No open-toe shoes. I love it that she had her hair up. Her gown has been re-styled again. Looked good on her.

Calurosa acogida del Rey al Príncipe de Gales en la Zarzuela
The Kings have offered this Thursday at noon a private dinner the Prince of Wales and his wife, the Duchess of Cornwall, which was attended by the Prince of Asturias.
.​
Although during his stay in Madrid, Charles and Camilla have been accompanied by Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia, the meeting this with Don Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia is part of the extreme climate of friendship and kinship that unites the two royal families .

Prince of Wales and Camilla are resting this weekend on an estate of the Duke of Wellington, whose property is full of controversy and is of dubious legality... and the Spanish government has respected that visit, I think that the Prince of Wales can´t be upset.

Prince of Wales and Duchess or Cornwall’s visit stirs up estate dispute

Prince of Wales and Duchess or Cornwall’s visit stirs up estate dispute - Telegraph

Íllora receives Charles and Camilla with controversy over the ownership of the estate of Wellington

llora recibe a Carlos y Camilla con polmica por la propiedad de la finca de los Wellington | Andaluca | elmundo.es

The polemic estate of Wellington waits for the prince

La polémica finca de los Wellington espera al príncipe Carlos · ELPAÍS.com

Speech by His Royal Highness the Prince of Asturias at the dinner in honor of Their Royal Highnesses The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Palabras de Su Alteza Real el Príncipe de Asturias en la cena en honor de Sus Altezas Reales el Príncipe de Gales y la Duquesa de Cornualles. Casa de Su Majestad el Rey de España

Google Traductor

" Royal Highnesses, Your presence in Spain encourages us to go deeply into our common will to contribute that the United Kingdom and the Kingdom of Spain - our institutions, universities, companies, artists and citizens-, extend day after day their understanding and collaboration. In that timeframe I also hope that our authorities make progress in resolving the historic bilateral dispute that is still pending."

:previous: There is a time and place for everything and as the political side had be dealt with prior to the Gala, Filipe's statement was insulting as he knew that Charles, on behalf of his country, could not and would not respond. It was a cheap shot and unworthy of his position.

Those kind of things are known beforehand, as others have already said I'm sure Charles and the British delegation were informed before. In any case it's not as if Felipe started shouting at Charles, "you filthy invader of foreign countries, Gibraltar Español!!, he only hoped a solution could be reached. It's a very important point in the bilateral relations between Spain and the UK, it won't dissapear if the royals don't mention it.

A storm in a teacup ..? I see nothing wrong with Crown Prince Felipe's speech. Furthermore, Prince Charles' feelings are totally irrelevant. If Prince Charles took any offence at what was said, he could put it in his personal journal and allow his assistant to leak it to the public. It is the way things are done in the British royal family.

Last edited:
If Prince Charles took any offence at what was said, he could put it in his personal journal and allow his assistant to leak to the public. It is the way things are done in the British royal family.

:lol: or tell other family members while assuming that there is no micro nearby switched on ;)

A storm in a teacup ..? I see nothing wrong with Crown Prince Felipe's speech. Furthermore, Prince Charles' feelings are totally irrelevant. If Prince Charles took any offence at what was said, he could put it in his personal journal and allow his assistant to leak to the public. It is the way things are done in the British royal family.
Ouch! Nasty :bang:

Charles and Camilla still in Spain?
I was asking because I wonder when they will start their visit to Morocco today evenning or tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom