Presentations of Elena, Cristina and Felipe to the Virgin of Atocha

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mtbcm

Serene Highness
City
Lisboa
Country
Portugal
In 1963, Princes Juan Carlos and Sofia took her daughter Infanta Elena to present her to The Virgin of Atocha

In 1965, the Princes presented their second daughter, Infanta Cristina

http://img113.imageshack.us/my.php?image=principefelipe2zb.jpg

In 1968, The Princes presented their son and heir to the throne, Príncipe Felipe

Photos Source: www.dominicos.org

These photos are here and the site has a reproduction of what was published in Hola magazine about this event.

Enjoy and have fun :).

Regards,
mtbcm :)

Then, the presentations are some months after the bapthism, because Prince Felipe is very big in the photos :confused:

it would be really great if Felipe & Letizia follow the same tradition with la Infanta Leonor after 37 years.

fanletizia said:
Then, the presentations are some months after the bapthism, because Prince Felipe is very big in the photos :confused:

Felipe was 5 months old when presented to the virgin

Please excuse my ingnorance, but can some one please explain the reason/history/purpose (if any) behind the presentation?

sesa said:
Please excuse my ingnorance, but can some one please explain the reason/history/purpose (if any) behind the presentation?
http://www.dominicos.org/atocha/atocha/Cronica_hola.htm

This presentation coresponds to an old tradition of the Spanish royal family that dates back to the reign of Carlos V. It is basically inspired by the Spanish popular beliefs, according to which every woman that has given birth must go to the church, in order to be purified and to present her baby before God. The choice of the Virgin of Atocha is due to the fact that she is the patron of the old Court of Madrid.

Our Lady of Atocha is one of the Glorious Titles of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Back
Top Bottom