On This Day: Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theroyalfly

Serene Highness
City
N/A
Country
Greenland
September 13

Today in Royal History is the 421st Death Anniversary of Philip II of Spain, the second King of Spain from the House of Habsburg. At some point of his lifetime, he was also the King of Portugal as the first monarch from the House of Habsburg and the King of England and Ireland jure uxoris upon his second marriage to his father's maternal first-cousin Mary I of England.

Jooris_van_der_Straeten_-_Portrait_of_Philip_II_of_Spain.jpg

He died in El Escorial, near Madrid, on 13 September 1598, of cancer. He was succeeded by his 20-year-old son, Philip III from his 4th and last marriage.

Last edited:
September 17

Today in Royal History is the 354th Death Anniversary of Philip IV (The Great); the 4th King of Spain from the House of Habsburg. He is the son of his predecessor Philip III and Margaret of Austria. He is also the last Habsburg King of Portugal after the House of Braganza deposed the House of Habsburg in the Portuguese Restoration War led by John II, Duke of Braganza, the rightful heir of the defunt House of Aviz.

latest

He married twice and had 6 children having his youngest son Charles II succeed him on the throne after his death in 1665 and was buried at El Escorial in Spain.

Today in Royal History is the 351st Birthday of Queen Maria Luisa of Spain born Princess Maria Luisa Gabrieela of Savoy, daughter of Victor Amadeus II, Duke of Savoy and Anne Marie d'Orléans. She married Philip V of Spain and had four sons, two of which became King but had no issue.

maria-luisa-of-savoy-c24f33dc-cc2c-46b1-96ce-3b2f6cfe89c-resize-750.jpeg

She also acted as Regent of Spain for 1 year in the absence of her spouse and was also his most trusted adviser, while she was in turn influenced by a French courtier, Marie Anne de La Trémoille, princesse des Ursins.

Last edited:
Queen Maria Luisa of Spain mother was a niece of Louis XIV of France :previous:

Queen Maria Luisa of Spain mother was a niece of Louis XIV of France :previous:

Indeed. Her mother's heritage is striking and imposing as Anne Marie d'Orléans is both a descendant of the House of Bourbon and Stuart.

One more trivia: Anne Marie's descendants could have been eligible to inherit the British crown under the Jacobite claim if not for the Act of Settlement which barred the claims of the Catholic Stuarts and d'Orléans' and settled the throne on the nearest Protestant relatives, the Hanoverians.

I had forgotten about the Stuart Royal connection there.

On this day, September 13, 1713 ~ Birth of King Ferdinand VI at the Real Alcazar de Madrid. He was the son of King Philip V and Queen Maria Luisa of Spain.

On this day, September 25, 1506 ~ Demise of Philip I of Castile. He was the spouse of Queen Juana I of Castile.

Philip was the the 1st Habsburg king of Castile ,his remains were buried at the Royal Chapel of Granada along side those of his parent in laws the Catholic Monarchs.

September 27

Today in Royal History is the 259th Death Anniversary of Queen Maria Amalia of Spain born Princess Maria Amalia Christina Franziska Xaveria Flora Walburga of Saxony of the House of Wettin to King Augustus III of Poland, Elector of Saxony and Archduchess Maria Josepha of Austria. She was the wife of King Charles III of Spain who was also the King of Naples and Sicily and the Duke of Parma and Piacenza. Together they had 8 children.

tumblr_ou3aleL2Jh1rxo1vko1_400.jpg

She died at an early age of 35 at Buen Retiro Palace, Madrid, Spain.

Last edited:
On this day, October 3, 1568 ~ Demise of Elisabeth de Valois, the third wife of King Philip II

On this day, October 3, 1568 ~ Demise of Elisabeth de Valois, the third wife of King Philip II

It was the Cardinal of Lorraine who broke the he news of the death Élisabeth de France to King Charles IX who reluctantly told his mother Catherine de Médicis who was at a Royal Council meeting.Catherine in a rare moment of human emotion left the room and went directly to her private chapel and retired to her private chambers to mourn her eldest daughter.

On this day, October 4, 1379 ~ Birth of King Henry III of Castile

On this day, October 6, 1644 ~ Demise of Elisabeth of France, Queen of Spain. She was the first spouse of King Philip IV of Spain.

On this day, October 14, 1784 ~ Birth of King Ferdinand VII of Spain at El Escorial in Madrid

On this day, October 18, 1469 ~ The wedding of King Ferdinand II of Aragon and Queen Isabella I of Castile in Valladolid, Kingdom of Castile

On this day, October 23, 1503 ~ Birth of Isabel of Portugal. Queen of Spain, Holy Roman Empress in Lisbon Portugal. She was the spouse of King Charles I of Spain.

On this day, October 25, 1692 ~ Birth of Elizabeth Farnese, Queen of Spain, the second wife of King Philip V
https://www.alamy.com/elisabeth-far...rt-of-spain-wife-of-philip-image65707684.html

On this day, October 26, 1580 ~ Demise of Anna of Austria, Queen of Spain, the fourth wife of King Philip II

Last edited by a moderator:
On this day, October 26, 1580 ~ Demise of Anna of Austria, Queen of Spain, the fourth wife of King Philip II

Anna was also the mother of Philip III of Spain :previous:

Her death at Badajoz came only a few moths after the birth of her daughter,The Infanta Maria of Spain.

On this day, November 1, 1549 ~ Birth of Anna of Austria, the consort of King Philip II of Spain

On this day, November 1, 1700 ~ Demise of King Charles II of Spain

On this day, November 6, 1479 ~ Birth of Queen Juana of Castile

The Infanta Doña Juana was born at Toledo Castle in Castile at the time of her birth she had an older broth the Infante Don Juan and he was destined to be future king. Doña Juana also had an older sister The Infanta Doña Isabel later Princess of Asturias and Girona and queen consort of Portugal.

Ferdinand II,Doña Juana and Isabella I of Castile.

Los_Reyes_Cat%C3%B3licos_y_la_infanta_do%C3%B1a_Juana.jpg

On this day, November 11, 1748 ~ Birth of King Charles IV of Spain

On this day, November 12, 1886 ~ Birth of Infante Alfonso of Spain, Duke of Galliera

On this day, November 22, 1602 ~ Birth of Elisabeth of France, Queen of Spain. She was the first wife of King Philip IV of Spain.
https://www.alamy.com/portrait-of-e...44-queen-consort-of-spain-image186174071.html

On this day, November 24, 1724 ~ Birth of Maria Amalia of Saxony, Queen of Spain, the wife of King Charles III of Spain

On this day, November 24, 1724 ~ Birth of Maria Amalia of Saxony, Queen of Spain, the wife of King Charles III of Spain

Her father converted to Catholicism in 1712 and was later became Augustus III of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania.Her mother was Archduchess Maria Josepha of Austria.

On this day, November 26, 1504 ~ Demise of Queen Isabella I of Castile. She was the spouse of King Ferdinand V of Aragon.

On this day, November 26, 1504 ~ Demise of Queen Isabella I of Castile. She was the spouse of King Ferdinand V of Aragon.

A 19th century paint depicting the death of Queen Isabella I .The Queen is buried along her husband King Ferdinand ,their grandson Infante Miguel de la Paz , daughter Juanna with her husband Philip at the Royal Chapel of Granada.

1024px-Do%C3%B1a_Isabel_la_Cat%C3%B3lica_dictando_su_testamento_%28Rosales%29.jpg

On this day, November 28, 1857 ~ Birth of King Alfonso XII of Spain at the Royal Palace in Madrid

On this day, December 4, 1711 ~ Birth of Barbara of Portugal, Queen Consort of King Ferdinand VI of Spain
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-anonymous-barbara-of-portugal-137438613.html

On this day, December 7, 1803 ~ Birth of Maria Josepha of Saxony, Queen Consort of King Ferdinand VII of Spain

On this day, December 9, 1751 ~ Birth of Maria Luisa of Parma, Queen Consort of King Charles IV of Spain

On this day, December 9, 1751 ~ Birth of Maria Luisa of Parma, Queen Consort of King Charles IV of Spain

Maria Louise was at one stage being groomed to marry the dauphins son Louis, Duke of Burgundy but the Prince died in 761.

On this day, December 11, 1709 ~ Birth of Louise-Elisabeth of Orleans, Queen Consort of King Luis I of Spain

On this day, December 11, 1829 ~ The wedding of King Ferdinand VII of Spain and Princess Maria Christina of Bourbon-Two Sicilies

Back
Top Bottom