On This Day: Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On a day like today, August 10, in the Spanish Monarchy:
1557: The troops of Felipe II, defeat the French of Enrique II in the battle of San Quentin.
1759: King Ferdinand VI dies.
1759: Carlos III is proclaimed King of Spain.

On a day like today, August 10, in the Spanish Monarchy:
1557: The troops of Felipe II, defeat the French of Enrique II in the battle of San Quentin.

Henry II of France declared war on Emperor Charles V and so began the long Italian War of 1551–1559 which later drew in the English support and resulted in the loss of Calais and left France and England almost bankrupt.
The War was concluded by the The Peace of Cateau-Cambrésis (1559) .

On a day like today, August 13, in the Spanish Monarchy:
1311: Alfonso XI of Castile is born, Castilian King, called "the Justiciero" (f. 1350).
1713: Felipe V is recognized as King of Spain after signing peace with Savoy during the War of the Spanish Succession.
1865: Francisco de Paula Antonio de Borbón, Infante of Spain, I Duke of Cadiz, son of Carlos IV, dies.

On this day, August 21, 1157, King Alfonso VII of Leon and Castile (b. 1105), dies.

Last edited:
On this day, August 21, 1157, Alfonso VII, Castilian-Leonese King (b. 1105), dies.

King Alfonso VII of Leon and Castile was buried at the Cathedral of Toledo

260px-Afonso_VII_de_Le%C3%A3o_e_Castela_-_Compendio_de_cr%C3%B3nicas_de_reyes_%28Biblioteca_Nacional_de_Espa%C3%B1a%29.png

On this day, August 22, 1878 ~ Demise of Queen Maria Christina of Spain, wife of King Ferdinand VII of Spain, at Le Havre, France

On this day, August 22, 1878 ~ Demise of Queen Maria Christina of Spain, wife of King Ferdinand VII of Spain, at Le Havre, France

Maria Christina of Bourbon Two Sicilies was in exile at the time of her death and had been in France since 1854.

Maria had secretly married Don Agustín Fernando Muñoz in December 1833 when she was queen Regent of Spain.
The queen mother outlived her second husband by 5 years and following her death her remains were brought back to Spain and buried at El Escorial.

On a day like today, August 24, in the Spanish Monarchy:

1238: Fernando III of Castile reconquers Montoro, (Cordoba)
1379: Juan I, Castilian-Lion King, is born.

On this day, August 25, 1707 ~ Birth of King Luis I of Spain at Buen Retiro Palace in Madrid, Spain

On this day, August 27, 1758 ~ Demise of Barbara of Portugal, Queen of Spain, wife of King Ferdinand VI of Spain, at Palacio Real de Aranjuez

On a day like today, August 30, in the Spanish Monarchy:

1282: in the town of Trapani, the Aragonese king Pedro III disembarks his army of Almogávares shouting "Wake up Ferro!" The king of Sicily Carlos de Anjou left the battlefield allowing the Aragonese king to go to Palermo (Sicily) to be crowned king of Sicily.
1334: Pedro I the Cruel, Castilian king, is born.
1483: The Catholic Monarchs recognize and expand the Luliana University on the island of Mallorca.

On this day, August 31, 1724 ~ Demise of King Luis I of Spain in Madrid, Spain

On a day like today, September 1, in the Spanish Monarchy:

672: the reign of the Visigoth king Wamba begins in Spain
1054: Battle of Atapuerca between Fernando I of León and his brother García Sánchez III, king of Navarra.
1401: María of Castile, Infanta of Castile and Queen of Aragon are born.

On this day, September 3, 1412 - Fernando I of Aragon arrives in Zaragoza as the new Aragonese King and swears his office before the Cortes.

Last edited:
On this day, September 3, 1412 Fernando I of Aragon arrives in Zaragoza as the new Aragonese King and swears his office before the Cortes.
His reign was so brief as he died in 1416 but at his death he was king of Aragon,Valencia, Majorca and Sicily he was also Count of Barcelona, Roussillon and Cerdanya.

The king also also acted as Regent of Castile for his nephew Juan II.

Ferran_d%27Antequera_al_retaule_Sancho_de_Rojas_%28detall%29.jpg

On a day like today, September 10, in the Spanish Monarchy:
1229: beginning of the Reconquest of Mallorca by the troops of Jaime I of Aragon.
1638: Maria Teresa of Austria, Spanish Infanta and Queen of France is born.
1990: In Argentina, the then Felipe, Prince of Asturias, begins his first official visit to Latin America in Buenos Aires.

On a day like today, September 12, in the Spanish Monarchy:

1229: Mallorca is reconquered by Jaime I of Aragon.
1537: Carlos I authorizes that when the first royal authority dies in the Río de la Plata, the people freely choose his successor.
1581: Felipe II is proclaimed King of Portugal.

On a day like today, September 14, in the Spanish Monarchy:

1262: Alfonso X el Sabio reconquers the city of Cádiz, until then under Andalusian occupation.
1264: Alfonso X el Sabio reconquers the important Muslim fortress of Sanlúcar de Barrameda (Cádiz).

On a day like today, September 15, in the Spanish Monarchy:

1505: Maria of Austria, Infanta of Castile and Aragon, Archduchess of Austria and Queen of Hungary, is born. Daughter of Juana I.
1607: Carlos of Austria, Infante of Spain, is born. Son of Felipe III
1972: Letizia Ortiz, consort of King Felipe VI of Spain, is born.

Last edited:
On this day, September 17, 1688 ~ Birth of Maria Luisa of Savoy, Queen of Spain, spouse of King Philip V of Spain, at the Royal Palace of Turin in Turin, Duchy of Savoy

On this day, September 21, 1558 ~ Demise of King Charles I of Spain at the Monastery of Yuste

On this day, September 21, 1558 ~ Demise of King Charles I of Spain at the Monastery of Yuste

Having abdicated Charles had returned to Spain with 2 of his sisters ,Eleanor Queen Dowager of France and Mary Queen Dowager of Hungary.
The 3 siblings seemed to have been very close and died within a short while of each other.

Eleanor of Austria, queen dowager of France died on the 25th of February 1558
Mary of Austria, queen dowager of Hungary died on the 18th of October 1558.

On this day, September 23, 1713 ~ Birth of King Ferdinand VI at the Real Alcazar de Madrid in Madrid, Spain

On a day like today, September 23, in the Spanish Monarchy:

1713: King Fernando VI is born.
1912: María Teresa de Borbón, Infanta of Spain, dies.

On this day, September 25, 1506 ~ Demise of Philip, Duke of Burgundy, husband of Queen Juana I of Castile, at Burgos, Kingdom of Castile

On this day, September 25, 1506 ~ Demise of Philip, Duke of Burgundy, husband of Queen Juana I of Castile, at Burgos, Kingdom of Castile

Philip the Handsome death was unexpected and is believed to have been caused by typhoid fever.

He held a vast array of titles
Duke of Burgundy
Duke of Brabant
Duke of Limburg
Duke of Luxemburg
Duke of Lothier
Margrave of Namur
Count of Charolais
Count of Flanders
Count of Hainaut
Count of Holland
Count of Zealand
Count of Artois

On this day, September 27, 1760 ~ Demise of Maria Amalia of Saxony, Queen of Spain, wife of King Charles III of Spain, at the Buen Retiro Palace in Madrid, Spain

On this day, September 29, 1833 ~ Demise of King Ferdinand VII of Spain in Madrid, Spain

On this day, September 29, 1833 ~ Demise of King Ferdinand VII of Spain in Madrid, Spain

Ferdinand VII became king of Spain in March 1808 following the abdication of his father Charles IV of Spain in March 1808.
He abdicated in May that year and was placed under house arrest by Napoleon in France.

He was restored as King of Spain in 1813 and remained on the throne until his death in 1833.

Back
Top Bottom