News from the Spanish Nobility

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Galateo, son of Luna Medina, Countess of Ricla (the Duke and Duchess of Segorbe's younger daughter) and her partner, Giovanni Rapazzini de Buzzaccarini, was christened last week in Padua, Italy, in the magnificent baptisery located next to the Cathedral. The godparents were his paternal uncle and a close friend of Luna's.

Baptême de Galateo, fils de Luna de Medina, comtesse de Ricla – Noblesse & Royautés

Galateo was born in May and is the first grandchild of the Duke of Segorbe, and the third one for his wife Maria da Gloria

And Maria da Gloria will have fourth grandchild soon ;)

I read an article today (that I can't seem to find) that the Dukes of Huescar must change or rather shorten their daughter Sofia's name due to new changes in the law. As it stands Sofia has 11 names and it must be reduced to 2.

I read an article today (that I can't seem to find) that the Dukes of Huescar must change or rather shorten their daughter Sofia's name due to new changes in the law. As it stands Sofia has 11 names and it must be reduced to 2.

Good decision, IMHO; Why does a person need 11 names if they don't use them anyway?

Conclave of Italian aristocrats at the christening of Galateo, first grandson of the Duke of Segorbe and last member of the legendary lineage

October 23, 2023, 8:08:56 PM

Excerpt:
"...Conclave of Italian aristocrats at the christening of Galateo, first grandson of the Duke of Segorbe and last member of the legendary lineage. The baptism ceremony of the little one took place at the Church of Santa Maria dei Servi in Padua, near Venice. Ignacio Medina is...one of the four living children of the Duchess of Medinaceli, a direct descendant of King Alfonso X of the Wise. His mother is Gloria Orleans-Braganza, great-great-granddaughter of Pedro II of Brazil, the last emperor of Brazil.

Good decision, IMHO; Why does a person need 11 names if they don't use them anyway?

I think a lot of the are name of the Godfathers and -mothers. So, it makes sense to stabilize the connections.

The other names will probably remember deceased beloved family members or holy persons.

Tradition. The idea is not to use them all, is to carry them as part of your family traditions. Same traditions like when, in the USA, people use the line '...our founding fathers" when they can't even name three nor have seen a copy of the constitution in their lives.
I've been in the USA since the 80s' but in my old home, Spain, the tradition of these names placed on a child was out of respect and to honor present and past family members as well as establish a connection to the Christian faith.

I assume these new laws are to standardize my fellow Spaniards with international traditions, like to copy the USA style so the name fits on a driver's ID card or whatever. Here in the USA you can change your name for $300-500.00 to Lamp, Brooklyn Bridge, Brangelina or any nonsense. I don't like that Spain wants to imitate the other countries and ignore centuries of tradition for the sake of what? To be like other countries?

For comparision, King Felipe's full name is (1) Felipe (2) Juan (3) Pablo (4) Alfonso (5) de Todos los Santos de (surnames) Borbón y Grecia.

Last edited:
Tradition. The idea is not to use them all, is to carry them as part of your family traditions. Same traditions like when, in the USA, people use the line '...our founding fathers" when they can't even name three nor have seen a copy of the constitution in their lives.
I've been in the USA since the 80s' but in my old home, Spain, the tradition of these names placed on a child was out of respect and to honor present and past family members as well as establish a connection to the Christian faith.

I assume these new laws are to standardize my fellow Spaniards with international traditions, like to copy the USA style so the name fits on a driver's ID card or whatever. Here in the USA you can change your name for $300-500.00 to Lamp, Brooklyn Bridge, Brangelina or any nonsense. I don't like that Spain wants to imitate the other countries and ignore centuries of tradition for the sake of what? To be like other countries?

For comparision, King Felipe's full name is (1) Felipe (2) Juan (3) Pablo (4) Alfonso (5) de Todos los Santos de (surnames) Borbón y Grecia.

The new laws are a simpler way to give clarity. There have been several law changes along the years regarding birth, marriages and death in the civil registry. Some of those changes are to incorporate changes like gay marriage and adoption, or to give the freedom to parents to give a child their surnames in whatever order they prefer.

Remember that by law in Spain, children have to be registered with BOTH parents' first surname (in whatever preferred order) or the mother's both surnames in cases like a single woman accessing sperm donation. In Spain is illegal for a woman to take up her husband's surname when she marries and it's really difficult to change your given name in the civil registry unless you have a judge authorising it.

Many of these long name traditions came from a time when there were no separation of powers in Spain and the church dictated laws for the government. That came to an end with the Constitution of 1978.

The nobility can still baptise their child with 17 names if the church allows it. But in the civil registry, the one expediting your ID card, passport and all other legal documents, they can only have one composed or two single family names.

The laws in Spain and USA are too different to be compared.

Cayetano Martínez de Irujo, the Duke of Arjona, has organized the annual mass for his late mother the Duchess of Alba in Seville yesterday, November 20:

** hola article **

Eugenia Martínez de Irujo and husband Narcis Rebollo were not present, they attended the "Fearless Flamenco Y Diseño" Awards 2023 in Madrid:

** Pic **

The Duchess of Huéscar attended the fashion show and after show event of Spanish designer Modesto Lomba in Madrid yesterday, February 13:

** gtresnews gallery **

Cayetano Martínez de Irujo, the Duke of Arjona attended the AEVEA Awards 2024 at Gran Teatro Caixabank Príncipe Pío in Madrid on February 21:

** Pic **

The wedding of Felipe Matossian, Marquis of Pons and Ina Morenés took place this Friday.
The groom is the grandnephew of the Marquis of Griñón and, therefore, cousin of Tamara Falcó, and the bride is the daughter of Antonio Morenés and María del Carmen Allende-Salazar, Marchioness of Velada.

Belén Corsini and Carlos Fitz-James Stuart y Solís, Count and Countess of Osorno, have become first-time parents. Like the magazine ¡HOLA! reveals, the baby was born this Monday, March 4, in Madrid.

The name they have chosen for their baby is none other than Carlos.

Belén Corsini and Carlos Fitz-James Stuart y Solís, Count and Countess of Osorno, have become first-time parents. Like the magazine ¡HOLA! reveals, the baby was born this Monday, March 4, in Madrid.

The name they have chosen for their baby is none other than Carlos.
So he is the third Carlos in a row after his father and grandfather.

Back
Top Bottom