News from the Spanish Nobility

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Family and friends were seen arriving for Fernando Martínez de Irujo‘s Birthday Party at Palacio de Liria yesterday, July 21:

** legion media gallery **

Eugenia Martínez de Irujo and Tamara Falcó, Marquise of Griñón, attended the Tous photocall in Madrid on September 14:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages gallery **

And on September 15 Eugenia Martínez de Irujo attended the Redondo Brand fashion show during the Mercedes Benz Fashion Week September 2022 edition at Ifema in Madrid:

** Pic **

Last edited:
Eugenia Martínez de Irujo and husband Narcis Rebollo attended the Premios Escaparate awards ceremony in Sevilla yesterday, September 17:

** Pic ** gtresnews gallery **

Yesterday, September 19, the presentation of the book "Luis Martinez de Irujo: Duque de Alba" took place in Madrid, attended by Carlos Fitz-James Stuart, the Duke of Alba, the Duke and Duchess of Huéscar, Eugenia Martínez de Irujo and husband Narcis Rebollo, Cayetano Martínez de Irujo, the Duke of Arjona, the Count and Countess of Osorno:

** gtresnews gallery ** gettyimages gallery **

Last edited:
Tamara Isabel Falcó Preysler, 6th Marchioness of Griñón (b.20 November 1981) [only child together of late Carlos Falcó, 12th Marquess of Castel-Moncayo (1937-2020) & his second former wife Spanish-Filipino socialite Isabel Preysler (b.1951)] announced on her Instagram account her engagement to her boyfriend of two years Íñigo Onieva on 22 September:

https://www.lavanguardia.com/gente/...ra-falco-anuncia-compromiso-inigo-onieva.html

Tamara Isabel Falcó Preysler, 6th Marchioness of Griñón (b.20 November 1981) [only child together of late Carlos Falcó, 12th Marquess of Castel-Moncayo (1937-2020) & his second former wife Spanish-Filipino socialite Isabel Preysler (b.1951)] announced on her Instagram account her engagement to her boyfriend of two years Íñigo Onieva on 22 September:

https://www.lavanguardia.com/gente/...ra-falco-anuncia-compromiso-inigo-onieva.html

Engagement in crisis?

Tamara Falcó deleted her engagement picture with Íñigo Onieva from her instagram after leak a video of her fiancé, Iñigo Onieva, kissing a girl during a music festival

https://www.semana.es/corazon/drastica-decision-tamara-falco-afecta-inigo-onieva-20220924-002543199/
https://www.semana.es/corazon/tamara-falco-casa-isabel-preysler-20220924-002543235/

Inigo apologizes for the video:

"«In the videos broadcast I appear in an unacceptable attitude, of which I am absolutely sorry and devastated by it. I apologize for not being honest and publicly apologize to Tamara and her family. I am completely in love with Tamara and she is the woman of my life, so it hurts me enormously to have hurt her »."

https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notic...pas-haber-honesto/00031664111122993517435.htm

The new episode in this engagement: the couple or ex? couple, Tamara Falcó and Íñigo Onieva they have stopped following each other on social networks.

https://www.semana.es/corazon/inigo-onieva-tamara-falco-rompen-redes-sociales-20220926-002543497/

And Ana Boyer travels to Madrid to be with her sister

https://www.semana.es/corazon/ana-b...unto-hermana-tamara-falco-20220926-002543533/

Last edited by a moderator:
Tamara Falco attends 'El sentido de la Arquitectura' Premiere and 8th anniversary of Kronos Homes at Royal Theatre on 27 September in Madrid

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefee...mes,_royal_theatre,_madrid?celeb=Tamara Falco

And about her ex- fiance:

"Courageous and very serene, she uttered the word "ex-boyfriend" for the first time to the press, referring to Iñigo: "I decided to bet on my boyfriend... ex-boyfriend (she corrected) until I saw that it was true", she said about the moment when the one who realized the disloyalty.
"The Iñigo with whom I have promised has nothing to do with that", she has said in reference to the image that she has projected in the controversial video. "I was in love (...) I never thought that I was abusing my trust", she has affirmed after assuring that she was still "in a state of shock".
Although she couldn't avoid a certain sadness in her eyes, she has also allowed herself to joke around. "I think my mother leaked the video to the media," she said with a laugh after assuring that Isabel Preysler was one of her great supporters. In addition, Tamara has completely closed the door to a reconciliation: "I see it as impossible.""

https://www.hola.com/actualidad/20220927217952/tamara-falco-reaparece-acto-publico/

Olivia de Borbon's husband Julián Porras-Figueroa has presented his book "Living and hunting from another point of view" in Marbella yesterday, October 11:

** gtresnews gallery **

Narcís Rebollo is the second husband of the Duchess of Montoro and also the President of Universal Music Spain and Portugal!

"This October 21, 2022, 33 Spanish nobles are stripped of their title. The Democratic Memory Act passed the Senate a few days ago and comes into effect this Friday. Thirty titles are considered an offense to democracy, and their owners are dismissed by the Ministry of Justice. Among these, we find the famous Duchess of Franco, mother of Prince Luis Alfonso de Bourbon and granddaughter of the general."

https://news.trenddetail.com/news/199896.html

King Felipe VI of Spain signed the Democratic Memory Law on October 19th,28 of those titles were granted during the Franco regime and a further 5 by former king Juan Carlos.

1. Duke of Primo de Rivera,
  2. Duke of Calvo Sotelo,
  3. Duke of Mola,
  4. Count of Alcazar of Toledo,
  5. Count of Labajos
  6. Marquess of Dávila,
  7. Marquis of Saliquet
  8. Marquess of Queipo de Llano
  9. Marquess of Alboran
  10. Count of Jarama
  11. Marquess of Varela of San Fernando
  12. Count of Benjumea
  13. Marquess of Somosierra
  14. The Grandee of Spain granted to the Count of Rodezno
  15. Marquis of San Leonardo de Yagüe
  16. Count of Cierva
  17. Marquis of Vigon
  18. Count of Fenosa
  19. Count of Castillo de La Mota
  20. Marquis of Suanzes
  21. Marquess of Kindelan
  22. Count of Pallasar
  23. Marquess of Casa Cervera
  24. Count of Martin Moreno
  25. Marquess of Bilbao Eguia
  26. The Grandee of Spain granted to Don Fernando Suárez de Tangil y de Angulo
  27. Count of Bau
  28. Duke of Carrero Blanco,
  29. Lord of Meirás,
  30. Duke of Franco,
  31. Marquess of Arias Navarro,
  32. Count of Rodríguez de Valcárcel
  33. Count of Iturmendi

Fernando Martínez de Irujo attended the second edition of the event "A meeting for culture in freedom" in Madrid today, October 21:

** Pic ** eldebate article **

"This October 21, 2022, 33 Spanish nobles are stripped of their title. The Democratic Memory Act passed the Senate a few days ago and comes into effect this Friday. Thirty titles are considered an offense to democracy, and their owners are dismissed by the Ministry of Justice. Among these, we find the famous Duchess of Franco, mother of Prince Luis Alfonso de Bourbon and granddaughter of the general."

https://news.trenddetail.com/news/199896.html

That means Luis Alfonso de Bourbon, who is not a prince in Spain, will now end up titleless in the Spanish nobility too. A pretty dramatic move by the Spanish Parliament.

It is interesting that the Democratic Memory Law abolished the titles of nobility granted under the Franco regime, but not , as far as I understand, the civil and military orders awarded under that same regime. If the Fons Honorum is deemed illegitimate by the Law, I don't undertstand why only titles of nobility were affected, and not all honors bestowed by the regime.

I don't understand either why titles bestowed by King Juan Carlos before the adoption of the constitution of 1978 were also included in the Law. If the rationale was that King Juan Carlos was not a constitutional monarch yet before 1978, then, by implication, they should have also abolished all Spanish titles awarded by Spanish monarchs prior to the 19th century (when Spain had an absolute monarchy).

EDIT: I checked the text of the Law as signed by the King and it appears that it provides for other honors and decorations to be also revoked if it can be proven that "the beneficiary, before or after the award, due to having been part of the repressive apparatus of the Franco dictatorship, had carried out acts or observed conduct that is manifestly incompatible with democratic values and the guiding principles for the protection of human rights, as well as with the requirements for granting them". Only the nobiliary titles posted above by An Ard Ri are, however, explicitly listed and summarily suppressed in the bill. I didn't have time to analyze the text carefully though.

Last edited:
That means Luis Alfonso de Bourbon, who is not a prince in Spain, will now end up titleless in the Spanish nobility too. A pretty dramatic move by the Spanish Parliament.

It is interesting that the Democratic Memory Law abolished the titles of nobility granted under the Franco regime, but not , as far as I understand, the civil and military orders awarded under that same regime. If the Fons Honorum is deemed illegitimate by the Law, I don't undertstand why only titles of nobility were affected, and not all honors bestowed by the regime.

I don't understand either why titles bestowed by King Juan Carlos before the adoption of the constitution of 1978 were also included in the Law. If the rationale was that King Juan Carlos was not a constitutional monarch yet before 1978, then, by implication, they should have also abolished all Spanish titles awarded by Spanish monarchs prior to the 19th century (when Spain had an absolute monarchy).

EDIT: I checked the text of the Law as signed by the King and it appears that it provides for other honors and decorations to be also revoked if it can be proven that "the beneficiary, before or after the award, due to having been part of the repressive apparatus of the Franco dictatorship, had carried out acts or observed conduct that is manifestly incompatible with democratic values and the guiding principles for the protection of human rights, as well as with the requirements for granting them". Only the nobiliary titles posted above by An Ard Ri are, however, explicitly listed and summarily suppressed in the bill. I didn't have time to analyze the text carefully though.

It is extremely subjective. What about nobles which vested fame and fortune with extremely hard campaigns in- and outside Spain, includibg practically genocide on native tribes in the Spanish Empire?

This action by the leftist Government really is a sort of wokeist whitewashing. It solves nothing but it gives an air of moral superiority: "We are the better ones, we are good people".

Do you imagine Luis Alfonso Duc d' Anjou and Duke de Franco ???

Thank you for linking to the text of the law. I have not yet read it, but you make very good points about the logical inconsistencies. And what about titles of nobility granted by monarchs who were bloodier autocrats than Franco?

Do you imagine Luis Alfonso Duc d' Anjou and Duke de Franco ???

Not sure if I understand the question. Luis Alfonso already uses the title Duke of Anjou and it is listed in his French (but not Spanish) passport. He would have been entitled to succeed to the title Duke of Franco in due course were it not for this law.

Don Felipe can grant a new title to Luis Alfonso de Borbón but this is unlikely.

It seems Don Juan, Conde de Barcelona and Don Juan Carlos, King of Spain were not amused by their cousins styling themselves as Duke of Anjou, which is seen as the origins of the Royal House of Spain.

(The Spanish national and the royal coats of arms still carry the fleurs-de-lys in the version Bourbon-d'Anjou.)

As long as Luis Alfonso styles himself as Duke of Anjou, I doubt the Spanish King will grant a new title.

Last edited:
Don Felipe can grant a new title to Luis Alfonso de Borbón but this is unlikely.

It seems Don Juan, Conde de Barcelona and Don Juan Carlos, King of Spain were not amused by their cousins styling themselves as Duke of Anjou, which is seen as the origins of the Royal House of Spain.

(The Spanish national and the royal coats of arms still carry the fleurs-de-lys in the version Bourbon-d'Anjou.)

As long as Luis Alfonso styles himself as Duke of Anjou, I doubt the Spanish King will grant a new title.

The Bourbon-Anjou coat of arms is a differenced version of the Royal Coat of Arms of France with a red (gules) bordure. As you correctly said, that is the version used in the coat of arms of King Felipe VI.

Don Luis Alfonso, despite styling himself Duc d'Anjou, has nonetheless assumed the undifferenced Royal Coat of Arms of France as used by the Kings of France before 1830. As it is widely known, Henri d'Orléans tried to prevent Luis Alfonso's father from doing the same, but the French courts ruled against Henri's petition.

Wikipedia has a good article about the armorial of the Capetian dynasty , with a description of the coats of arms used by different branches of the family. Note that the Grand Duke of Luxembourg uses the differenced Bourbon-Parme shield, which is similar to the Bourbon-Anjou one, but with the "bordure gules charged with eight escallops argent".

On the issue of Felipe VI granting Luis Alfonso a new title, that would have to be countersigned by the prime minister under the constitution of 1978 and I don't see Pedro Sánchez and the present leftist government ever approving it. Maybe if there is a right-wing PP/Vox coalition in government in the future, he may have a better chance.

Last edited:
Fernando Martínez de Irujo and author José Miguel Hernández Barral attended the presentation of the book "Luis Martinez de Irujo: Duke of Alba" in Madrid today, November 3:

** gtresnews gallery **

Back
Top Bottom