General News & Information on the Spanish RF

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is the uncertain situation in Spain?

There is NO uncertain situation in Spain.The reason TM or any other member of the RF didn't attend several Royal events abroad
was due to fatal accidents/killings of Spanish military/nationals abroad (recently in Yemen) that happened to coincide with the Royal
events elsewhere.As a rule the RF closes ranks and attends either the arrival ceremonies of the deceased or the funerals or borh.
The family feels they can't/shouldn't go out partying while the nation is in mourning but be there to comfort those affected.

A highly admirable attitude,but indeed,that is the reason they hardly ever attend at all or just a brief moment of the festivities.It has,unfortunately,happened quite often these past years,that either by ETA or other cowardice lunatics Spanish nationals were
badly wounded or died when they were about to fly out to a Royal event.

They do have many friends and are very close to most RF,especially the dutch RF to name one.

I am wondering what is happening with the Spanish Royal Family...
They don't attend any Royal Party, they didn't invite almost anyone from the current royal families to any of the recent spanish Christenings... we never see them get along with any other royal...
Why did they invite all those doctors to Sofia's Christening? Don't they have friends? :ermm:

the spanish royals don't usually invite foreign royals to christenings as othe rmonarchies do and baptisms tend to be a lot more private than they are on other places. in many articles it also mentioned that there were private friends of felipe and letizia at both christenings (leonor's and sofia's).

i'm not sure why they don't attend foreign parties, and i would very much love to see them there, but in every ocassion there seems to be something that doesn't let them go. hopefully the next time they will be there with the others. they however invited a lot of worldwide royalty to their wedding. weddings are usually bigger events than baptisms, so that's understandable.

I don't see anything on here, so I thought this is sort of maybe the place to ask. What was QUeen Sofia's first name? I've read that it was Sophia, pronounced the same but spelled different, and that it was Sophie. Which is correct?

There are no questions here, because this is a relatively new thread. :)Queen Sofia was born Princess Sophia of Greece, but upon marriage to Juan Carlos of Spain, the Latin transliteration of her Greek name Σοφία was changed from Sophia to the Spanish variant Sofía.The pronouncation of both versionsare identical though.

Would someone be able to tell me the mailing address for Cristina and Iñaki? Thanks in advance :flowers:

I was wondering if Spain has a special opening of parliament like some other royal houses do? I have not noticed any talk of the opening of parliament since becoming a member here. Since I've never noticed anything about it I'm thinking something else is done or possibly the RF just stays away.

Infante Alphonse of Spain

If Alphonse would live now, where would he be in the spanish succession? Would his sisters Pilar and Maria be behind him?

Actually, I'm not sure Infanta Pilar or Infanta Margarita are in the line of the succession to the Spanish Throne. Both Infantas renounced their rights of succession (although those renunciations took place before the adoption of the Constitution and were not ratified by the Cortes).

Moreover, Section 57 of the Spanish Constitution provides that the Crown of Spain shall be inherited by the successors of H. M. Juan Carlos I de Borbón. It is not clear whether 'successors' means direct descendants (children and their descendants) or successors such as siblings, cousins, etc, although the former is more logical.

However, assuming Infante Alfonso were alive, and both he and his sisters were eligible for and in the line of the succession to the Spanish Throne, he would indeed hold precedence over his elder sisters. The Spain practices male-preference primogeniture, which would put Don Alfonso before his sisters.

Last edited:
Help?!?! Spanish Royal Family.

I'm doing spanish paper on the Spanish Royal Family and I cannot find an answer anywhere so I decided I'll ask.

• How do Spanish people regard them?
  • How do they differ from the royal family of England?
Thanks!!!

Well, I don't mean for this to come across wrong but shouldn't you be doing the research yourself, since it is your paper. To get a few quick answers from those of us here sure does seem like a huge short cut to me. I really hope TRF's is not going to become the quick 'I need an answer to my homework' type of a site.

I'm doing spanish paper on the Spanish Royal Family and I cannot find an answer anywhere so I decided I'll ask.
  • How do Spanish people regard them?
  • How do they differ from the royal family of England?
Thanks!!!

I think if you go to "search" on this forum and put in Spanish Monarchy you will find what you are looking for. Recently there has been a thread about the future of the Spanish Monarchy. Hope this points you in the right direction!

Linhhhh, welcome to the Board!

As starnightsky pointed, you can find answers and plenty of information for your first question in the Future of The Spanish Monarchy thread.

As for your second question, please specify what exactly you mean by 'differ': traditions? constitutional role? powers and prerogatives? private lives? relationships with Media? other?
Once you've made up your mind, you can ask your question in the General Questions about the Royal Family of Spain thread.

However, when asking your questions, please do remember that your research must be done by yourself. Our members can answer some of your questions, but they are certainly not obliged to.

For that very reason, this thread is closed.

Last edited:
lady anne

Can anyone tell me about Princess Tamara? Alot of people seem to make fun of her but Im interested in who she is. Is she the King of Spains 1st cousin as I have read? Thanks for any information.:)

Princess Tamara is the daughter of Adam Czartoryski y Borbón and Nora Piciotto. Her grandmother is Princess Dolores de Borbón y Orléans, the suster of King Juan Carlos's mother.
From paternal side, Princess Tamara is thus descendant from the Spanish Borbón Kings, descendant of French Kings both from Borbón and Orléans dynasties, and descendant of the Polish Royal and Princely Families.

You will find information, and a lot of pictures, in the Princess Tamara Czartoryska thread. :flowers:

Im doing a presentation on Pascua & Semana Santa. Are there any links to or pictures of the royal family at that time? Thanks for any help.

lady anne

Thank you Avalon. I will check out the link. Appreciate the info.:flowers: She is quite a unique young royal. I heard she left home because of some difficulties with family and decided to try life on her own. She is pretty successful I gather.

The Royal Family and their work with the United Nations

Please, post news, pictures, information and questions about the work & ties of the Spanish Royal Family with the United Nation Programs in this thread.
Posts about Infanta Cristina and her work as Goodwill ambassador for the United Nations should be posted in this thread - Cristina - Goodwill Ambassador to the UN & President of Spanish Committee of UNESCO

Quick Information:
The King, The Queen, The Prince of Asturias, Infantas Elena and Cristina have all worked closely with the United Nations on different humanitarian projects.
The Queen was actively involved with the Microcredits program and her efforts were recognized.

Ok I have a question here :) As many of you know Prince Louis of Luxembourg announced like 2 years ago that his girlfriend was pregnant, she had the baby and then they got married, not much of a big deal (except for his condition as a catholic Prince :lol:) since he wasn't the heir.

I was wondering what do you think would have happened if Felipe (I put him as an example cause I'd like to know what would it represent to the Spanish Crown) had announced he was having a baby without being married?

Last edited:
The families Charities

i was just wondering what charities each of the members of the royal family support and how they support them

any information is extreamly helpful

Thank You
xx

Why the plural of Kings?

The Kings move tomorrow to Palma, as every summer

This is probably a question that has been asked before but....... why is it reported that 'The Kings' plural move tomorrow to Palma when it is only one 'King' singular that is in fact going anywhere. :ermm:
I have seen this comment before and have continued to wonder. I would appreciate an answer to this perplexing question. With thanks. :flowers:

This is probably a question that has been asked before but....... why is it reported that 'The Kings' plural move tomorrow to Palma when it is only one 'King' singular that is in fact going anywhere. :ermm:
I have seen this comment before and have continued to wonder. I would appreciate an answer to this perplexing question. With thanks. :flowers:

It is a problem of the language:lol:. In Spanish the plural ones are in the habit of being done in masculine

King - Rey Queen - Reina King and Queen - Reyes

Spanish Royals and the Siesta

Quick question: do the Spanish royals follow the traditional timetable of large lunch, followed by a siesta followed by a late dinner?

royal court circular

Is there anywhere to find out what events the Spanish Royals will be attending in the future, not after the fact?
Do they have a court cirular similar to the Queen of Great Britain?
There is nothing on their web site.
I am going to Spain in Oct and I know the national holiday is Oct 12 but I do not know where to go to catch a royal sighting. Or what time it is usually held.

You can check the calender but calenders arent updated in months advanced or location for security reasons.
Youll know when and where the event will take place about 2-3 weeks in advance.

The agenda is published every Friday, the acts only are known with a week of anticipation.

Back
Top Bottom