The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-04-2021, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post

The routine of just the king and queen at State Visits has become a tad stale and they should from time to time think outside the box and not always with the same act. Just as Old Juan Carlos should have given both of his sisters a bit of limelight from time to time.

Actrually i think JC gave his sisters a bit more of the limelight that Felipe now does it with Elena. For example they attended sveeral State Banquets wehn for example Queen Elizabveth II. visited. And they also severalt times represnted him at foreign royal Events like the Wedding of GD Henri in 1981 or the Inthronisation of Queen Beatrix.

Old 03-04-2021, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Actrually i think JC gave his sisters a bit more of the limelight that Felipe now does it with Elena. For example they attended sveeral State Banquets wehn for example Queen Elizabveth II. visited. And they also severalt times represnted him at foreign royal Events like the Wedding of GD Henri in 1981 or the Inthronisation of Queen Beatrix.
That's very true especially the late Infanta Pilar she did attend the Enthronement of Queen Beatrix, certain State Banquets and the Funeral of Diana ,Princess of Wales along with the Olympics,her own patronages and charities had kept up a presence.

Old 03-04-2021, 01:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Their brother has sidelined them both completely so I don't see why they should worry about the effects of their behavior on him.
Yes, I would like someone to explain why Elena and Cristina are expected to consider their brother when making personal decisions given that there’s no evidence he’s ever done the same for them.

Can anyone give an example of a time when Felipe factored in what was best for his sisters when making a decision? Any evidence at all that he’s offered any sort of support to them or their children since becoming King, (or even well before that), or has put their interests before his own in even a small way? I realize none of us can know exactly what goes on in private but based on what information we do have Felipe’s not going to win any awards for being a great brother or uncle.

On the other hand, I can think of one big way Elena and Cristina have helped their brother and the Spanish monarchy. They’ve remained silent. They haven’t sat down with a major media personality to “speak their truth.” One quick read through the UK forum should be enough to show that there’s nothing stopping a disgruntled royal from lashing out publicly and causing mayhem; family loyalty isn’t a given. I think the Infantas have built lives for themselves away from the SRF and can’t imagine them “pulling a Harry.” But think of the stories they could tell.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
That's very true especially the late Infanta Pilar she did attend the Enthronement of Queen Beatrix, certain State Banquets and the Funeral of Diana ,Princess of Wales along with the Olympics,her own patronages and charities had kept up a presence.

I would add that the aforementioned "limelight" was given to them even though, unlike Elena and Cristina, neither Infanta Pilar nor Infanta Margarita were ever official members of the Royal Family (Familia Real) under the Royal Decree of 1981.

They had, however, the title of Infantas and the style of Royal Highness confirmed by the RD 1368/1987, which in turn also accorded them official precedence under the RD 2099/1983.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I would add that the aforementioned "limelight" was given to them even though, unlike Elena and Cristina, neither Infanta Pilar nor Infanta Margarita were ever official members of the Royal Family (Familia Real) under the Royal Decree of 1981.

And also unlike Elena and Cristina neither the late Pilar or her sister were in the line of succession having renounced them upon marriage.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I still wonder why they call it Family. They are clearly still members of the Family. They should say they are not members of the Toyal House like the Netherlands and Norway.

Otherwisei agreewith waht mbruno said that it is not really fair to drow them out in the middle of their life.
In Spanish they mostly use 'Casa Real' and 'Familia del Rey'. So, they are indeed no longer part of the 'Royal House' but still 'Family of the king'.

I agree with others that this expectation of the siblings is very unfair; either you release them from building a life as a full-time royal; or you keep them on as royals for life (if they so wish) - instead of kicking them out once their sibling ascends the throne. Hopefully Sofía will be given the freedom to find a fulfilling way of life (which might include some part-time royal duties).
Old 03-08-2021, 06:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaC View Post
Felipe didn't sideline his sister. He only applied the law that his father established (and signed) that the siblings of the Monarch are not members of the Royal Family.

Something that hardly came as a surprise to anyone, including Elena.
The decree itself does not however regulate which family members are to have an official role, and so I'm uncertain when the rule that only members of the Royal Family are eligible to be working royals was created.

https://www.boe.es/buscar/doc.php?id=BOE-A-1981-28756

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaC View Post
Honestly, nothing has ever been said officially (she's still too young). But when Felipe became King he issued a series of regulations and directives, ranging from Royal Family gifts regulation to Casa Real employees code of conduct to hiring practices etc.. and included some rules on the Royal Family and their activities (also on the possible events undertaken by the King's Family at the King's or the government's request). Those rules state that members of the RF may only take part in institutional activities, so at the time the press, royal watchers and experts all spoke of the future choices of Infanta Sofía, royal working life or private career as a member of the King's Family who could undertake puntual royal and state events without public funding.
I'm not clear on in what way she will be given a choice: She is a member of the Royal Family during the reign of her father and members of the Royal Family, if I understand correctly, are not permitted to have private careers under Felipe VI's new regulations.

Tags
calendar, constitutional change, cristina, elena, faq, felipe, form of address, id cards, infanta cristina, infanta elena, letizia, prince of asturias, smoking, spain, spanish royal family, united nations, wedding rings