The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-04-2017, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Mercedes-Benz 450 SEL used by King Juan Carlos is up for sale!

Sale a subasta un Mercedes-Benz utilizado por el rey Juan Carlos

Translation
https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url

Old 10-01-2017, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Posts regarding the Catalan Independence vote and the Royal Family have been moved to this thread.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...rchy-1779.html

Old 02-26-2021, 08:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Book of Civil Register of the Spanish Royal Family
Royal Decree 2917/1981 (November 27) establishes the Civil Registry of the Royal Family where births, marriages and deaths will be registered, as well as any other fact or act that can be registered in accordance with the legislation on Civil Registry that affects the king. from Spain, his consort, his ascendants of the first degree, his descendants and the crown princess. This registry is in charge of the Minister of Justice exclusively.

https://www.boe.es/buscar/act.php?id=BOE-A-1981-28756

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Ag2rl7o6q...ain-P5X91D.jpg
Old 03-03-2021, 09:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Infantas Elena and Cristina were vaccinated in the Emirates, taking advantage of a visit to Juan Carlos I.
https://www.elconfidencial.com/espan...los-i_2974843/

Through a jointly signed statement and reaching EL MUNDO, Infanta Elena and Infanta Cristina explain why they received coronavirus immunization during a visit trip to their father, Juan Carlos I, in Abu Dhabi and after skipping all the Spanish vaccination queues.

Quote:
"Given the information published in the press on the vaccination that I have been subjected to, I would like to make the following clarification. Both my sister and I have come to visit our father and, in order to have a health passport that would allow us to do so regularly, we were offered the possibility of getting vaccinated, which we agreed to. If it were not for this reason we would have agreed to the vaccination shift in Spain, when it would have been up to us."
Apart from the statement, after leaving her job at the Mapfre Foundation, Infanta Elena has come to the Palacio de la Zarzuela this Wednesday, without the reasons having been disclosed so far.

https://www.elmundo.es/espana/2021/0...R3lZaXJsTTBUeg..
Old 03-03-2021, 12:12 PM
Nobility

God, I feel sorry for Felipe. His family are a bunch of liabilities. They obviously do not care if the monarchy survives now that their beloved father is off the throne.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:42 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

https://english.elpais.com/spanish_n...abu-dhabi.html

Of course it looks bad and will be used against Felipe by various parties.
Having said that, Cristina lives in Switzerland therefore the Spanish regulation of vaccination do not apply to her. No idea what process is in place in Switzerland. Elena should have known better.

Many people wish to jump the queue, especially those with family members who are at risk, but this is anti-social behavior in my book. Not everyone is rich enough to fly out to the UAE to have a vaccination during holiday.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2 View Post
God, I feel sorry for Felipe. His family are a bunch of liabilities. They obviously do not care if the monarchy survives now that their beloved father is off the throne.
Actually, this isn't even a controversy. Infanta Elena and Infanta Cristina had to be vaccinated in their way to visit King Juan Carlos. It was nothing serious. Sometimes the press and people exaggerate about matters that do not harm anyone and that are easy to explain.
I don't think they want to hurt their brother or not worry about him. They probably never thought it would be made public that they had been vaccinated in Abu Dhabi.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:48 PM
Nobility

Just replied virtually the same thing about this in another thread. Yes, it is understandable that they want to visit with their father. However, as I said in that other thread, it seems as if now that Juan Carlos is off the the throne, no one except Felipe, his wife, mother, and children seem to care if the monarchy falls.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Actually, this isn't even a controversy. Infanta Elena and Infanta Cristina had to be vaccinated in their way to visit King Juan Carlos. It was nothing serious. Sometimes the press and people exaggerate about matters that do not harm anyone and that are easy to explain.
it isn't that 'clean' and it is somewhat embarrasing as it looks like they're skipping the queue. they aren't UAE citizens so there's no reason why the UAE would be under an obligation to vaccinate them. if they had been joe bloggs would a vaccine have been made available to them? there's many people in spain still awaiting for their jab, who are vulnerable or are front line workers. skipping the queue by travelling elsewhere because of who you're the daughter of doesn't bode well.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:41 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
https://english.elpais.com/spanish_n...abu-dhabi.html

Of course it looks bad and will be used against Felipe by various parties.
Having said that, Cristina lives in Switzerland therefore the Spanish regulation of vaccination do not apply to her. No idea what process is in place in Switzerland. Elena should have known better.

Many people wish to jump the queue, especially those with family members who are at risk, but this is anti-social behavior in my book. Not everyone is rich enough to fly out to the UAE to have a vaccination during holiday.

Except they didn't skip any lines. As Elena said in her statement, they were in Abu Dhabi to see their father and plan to visit him regularly. They took the vaccine they were offered while there in order to facilitate subsequent visits, which I assume means Abu Dhabi will at some point relax quarantine requirements for vaccinated foreigners. (I also take it to mean there's no plan for JC to return to live in Spain anytime soon). Their decision to get the vaccine abroad has no impact on anyone in Spain, unless you'd like to count the fact that Spain will now have four extra doses of vaccine available.

Elena and Cristina have not been members of The Royal Family for years now and, as you say, Cristina is based in Switzerland. They don't represent TRF on engagements and don't receive funds from the Royal Household. The Infantas and their children have gotten caught in the past couple of years between the republican press on one hand who drum up false drama to come at the monarchy, (since Felipe and Letizia have too many layers of official protection around them to come at directly, at least for now), and elements of the "respectable" press that have become a propaganda department for the monarchy and never miss a chance to exaggerate The Royal Family's virtues while emphasizing the slightest bit of controversy that arises with Felipe's sisters. Therefore, Elena and Cristina go to see their elderly father and accept the offer of being vaccinated so they can see him more and it's a national controversy. Felipe and Letizia accept half a million dollars of JC's money to go on a tacky honeymoon and it's barely covered. Felipe was set to inherit a hundred million dollars from his father and his statement that he had no clue about the inheritance or about his father's financial irregularities is accepted as gospel based on - well, just the fact that Felipe says he's telling the truth. Cristina's statement that she didn't deal with the finances for the NOOS foundation, OTOH, must obviously have been a lie, despite the fact that the media, the Treasury, a team of well paid lawyers and a judge who was, let's say, somewhat activist in his decisions, could find no evidence to disprove it.
And so on and so forth.

The women are under no obligation to hold themselves to the artificial standards/optics set by an institution that put them and their children aside a long time ago. They're private citizens and they made the same decision that the majority of private citizens would have made in the same situation.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
I don't think they want to hurt their brother or brother or not worry about him. They probably never thought it would be made public that they had been vaccinated in Abu Dhabi.
Do they HAVE TO regularly visit their father who himself chose to move to Abu Dhabi during a pandemic and not for example to Geneva where his daughter could easily visit him on an almost daily basis?! And wouldn't quarantining for a sufficient period of time be a possibility?

I'd love to be vaccinated if that would mean I would be able to travel (if there are flights) and visit my family for the first time in 2 years; but that isn't a good enough reason to be vaccinated here... (and rightly so)
Old 03-03-2021, 03:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

What were they thinking?!?

I suppose Elena's visit to Zarzuela is for her to get " a proper dressing down" from the King.

The sisters have life experiences as royals to know that it is not only that it is right or wrong that must be considered but the optics- how things look.

True, because they are the daughters of the former King and sisters of the current King of Spain someone may have offered them to get the vaccine. However, they should have thought about how this would look to the people of Spain.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

But have they really got the vaccine? So far it is niot clear if i understand the article correct.

Old 03-03-2021, 03:26 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
What were they thinking?!?

However, they should have thought about how this would look to the people of Spain.

Not only how it would look to the people of Spain...but how it would affect their own brother, the King of Spain. And the monarchy. It is as if they don't care anymore. Is it possible that they are deliberately hurting their brother because of how he has marginalized their role in the royal family? Or that they just don't know any better??
Old 03-03-2021, 03:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
But have they really got the vaccine? So far it is niot clear if i understand the article correct.
Yes, they did as the signed statement by the infantas in this post by Blog Real confirms (published in El Mundo).
Old 03-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Do they HAVE TO regularly visit their father who himself chose to move to Abu Dhabi during a pandemic and not for example to Geneva where his daughter could easily visit him on an almost daily basis?! And wouldn't quarantining for a sufficient period of time be a possibility?

I'd love to be vaccinated if that would mean I would be able to travel (if there are flights) and visit my family for the first time in 2 years; but that isn't a good enough reason to be vaccinated here... (and rightly so)

I think it would have been more serious if Elena and Cristina had jumped the line and been vaccinated in Spain to make it possible for them to visit their father regularly in the UAE.

However, since they were vaccinated in Abu Dhabi and the jabs were actually offered by the UAE health authorities, it is not such a big deal as there is no evidence of influence peddling within Spain itself. In the worst case scenario, it is a minor embarassment for the Royal House.

Quite frankly, it is not that different from Canadians who are going to Florida to get vaccine shots.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I think it would have been more serious if Elena and Cristina had jumped the line and been vaccinated in Spain to make it possible for them to visit their father regularly in the UAE.

However, since they were vaccinated in Abu Dhabi and the jabs were actually offered by the UAE health authorities, it is not such a big deal as there is no evidence of influence peddling within Spain itself. In the worst case scenario, it is a minor embarassment for the Royal House.

Quite frankly, it is not that different from Canadians who are going to Florida to get vaccine shots.
Honestly, I think it would have been worse. This is a controversy that will last for 3 days, and will be quickly forgotten.
Spaniards who are against the monarchy, take anything to attack the royal family and the monarchy.
I don't think Infanta Cristina and Infanta Elena made a very big mistake. I think they didn't think about the consequences, they just wanted to be with their father and took advantage of the opportunity they were given to be vaccinated. It's more of a storm in a glass of water.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:15 PM
Serene Highness

I don't think it looks very good: most royals have been very careful to be seen to be waiting their turn. I don't know what the situation in Switzerland is, but only quite a small proportion of the population's been vaccinated, so I doubt that a healthy person of Cristina's age would have been called yet.

Is this standard, that you can be vaccinated if you go to the UAE? I'm just having visions of hordes of wealthy people rushing off there so that they can beat the vaccination queues in their own countries!
Old 03-04-2021, 01:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Since only about 25% population of UAE have been immunized, no. Though they are one of the leading countries in numbers vaccinated.

There have been many suggestions UAE has been offering 'vaccine tourism' especially Dubai. That people with enough money could pay to go there and get their vaccine ahead of others.

It definitely isn't a good image for the infantas to get a vaccine there.

They may not be working royals, but they are royals. And they know full well what kind of image this would give to the media. And shadow on their brother.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:54 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

TVE even had to apologize since the used a picture of Leonor and Sofia when they illustrated the vaccination of Elena and Cristina
talk about exploiting this even for political purposes.

https://www.explica.co/tve-apologize...incess-leonor/

Re vaccination tourism, there is a lot going on, a two class society, the ones who have to wait and the others who, for example, fly out to an organized two week trip to Dubai for a luxury holiday, vaccination included.

Tags
calendar, constitutional change, cristina, elena, faq, felipe, form of address, id cards, infanta cristina, infanta elena, letizia, prince of asturias, smoking, spain, spanish royal family, united nations, wedding rings