The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-16-2020, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Glad to see Queen Letizia's approval figures increasing ,back in 2018 she polled behind King Juan Carlos which was not at all good.

Old 08-16-2020, 12:09 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
From the little I've seen of Q Sofia, she's pretty right wing and rather pushy, like that time she was insisting on her grandchildren having their pics taken with her... I thought that was rather odd and pushy behaviour...
Sofia is a woman of strong views, particularly traditional Catholic views. She made her feelings about same sex marriage known to her biographer.

With regards to the Palma incident I think it was a natural reflex from Sofia as Queen and grandmother. She simply put her arms around her grandchildren and made to pose for the photographers at the Cathedral which was something she had done with her own children and grandchildren for years. She didn't count on Letizia's very public over-reaction.

Old 08-16-2020, 12:11 PM
Majesty

I dont blame Letizia for beign annoyed...
Old 08-16-2020, 12:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
From the little I've seen of Q Sofia, she's pretty right wing and rather pushy, like that time she was insisting on her grandchildren having their pics taken with her... I thought that was rather odd and pushy behaviour...
She is the most popular and most loved member of the Spanish royal family. And not only this year, but for years and years. That Doña Sofía is more popular and loved than the King and Queen shows that Felipe & Letizia do not have that "touch" Don Juan Carlos and Doña Sofía had. The old King totally blew it all up for himself, but how often have we not heard that Spaniards are no royalists but juancarlistas. Hard to imagine now but the old King had an extremely good rapport with the Spaniards.

I had a discussion about it with Spanish expats and they said: Felipe lacks a Máxima. What Máxima did to the boring and easy to overlook, amoprh figure of a WA, that magic is lacking with Letizia, whom does not have that spontaneity, that infectious laughter, charm and goodwill, instantly winning the public.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I dont blame Letizia for beign annoyed...
Lets keep this thread on topic there's a thread on Relationships in the Spanish RF.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Leonor has been born into this life, that should help. To me, Felipe is absolutely genuine, the way his parents have groomed him to be King, both absolutely committed to keep the throne.

I think Sofia is different to Letizia, she was born royal herself, her brother lost a throne, and she only knows life that is sacrificed for duty, starting with her marriage.

Letizia spent half her life as a private and free person, and while she is publicly totally committed, I think some of her comments show how frustrated she must be at times, because she has no other choice but to pull through but knows a different, more carefree life that Felipe doesn't.

To publicly say that Leonor will do what she has to do, not what she wants to do, I don't think Sofia would have said the same thing about Felipe. Same goes for some comments about the media or the famous Mallorca comment, do you think this is vacation?
Yes, the fact that Leonor was already born in this life helps a lot.
I have read several statements from people who knew Letizia before she married Felipe and most of those people say that they do not recognize her and that she is now completely different from what she was before.
Letizia is fully integrated into the institution and I sincerely think she likes the life she has now and is completely committed to preparing her daughter for the role that awaits her as Princess of Asturias and future Queen.
People are already starting to look at Letizia in another way and that's a good thing.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Yes, the fact that Leonor was already born in this life helps a lot.
I have read several statements from people who knew Letizia before she married Felipe and most of those people say that they do not recognize her and that she is now completely different from what she was before.
Letizia is fully integrated into the institution and I sincerely think she likes the life she has now and is completely committed to preparing her daughter for the role that awaits her as Princess of Asturias and future Queen.
People are already starting to look at Letizia in another way and that's a good thing.
Máxima was not born into it, never lived in a monarchy even, became accidentally paired to a Prince and from the first bang the completely unprepared Argentinean became the most loved member of the royal family.

Don Felipe and the Infantas were all born into it and do not generate similar warmth or enthusiasm. It is very difficult to deduct what exactly touches people.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Máxima was not born into it, never lived in a monarchy even, became accidentally paired to a Prince and from the first bang the completely unprepared Argentinean became the most loved member of the royal family.

Don Felipe and the Infantas were all born into it and do not generate similar warmth or enthusiasm. It is very difficult to deduct what exactly touches people.
Felipe VI is very popular and even Letizia is already more accepted by the Spanish.
If you notice, in the recent visits that made to some areas of Spain the Kings and daughters were very applauded and cries of "cheers to the king" were heard.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post

Difficult, indeed. Almost impossible. Surely the fact that we talk about two absolute different countries with complete different citizens has nothing to do with it.

I beg to differ with your Spanish acquaitances in regard of whether "a Maxima" is what was needed in Spain. I'm pretty much sure she would have been subjected to the very same level of scrutinity and criticism and, let's call it "contrary popular predisposition" than any other public figure here, and of course than Letizia, who is her direct counterpar. My fellow Spaniards love to have strong opinions about "what is needed". In presence of some beers and food on a table with people listening to, that can even achieve the level of lecture. But, when reality hits, then they are never happy with what they got. And "the grass is greener behind the neighbour's walls" is also quite a basic for common thinking here, so I take it with a grain of salt all those opinions about how everytjing, anything, is always better abroad. Correction: everything but food.

Tags
catalonia, future of the monarchy, juan carlist, juan carlos i, royalist, spain, spanish nobility, spanish royal family