Future and Popularity of the Spanish Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But she was a coincidence, not a cause. It only takes a minimum of logic to know she was not responsible for corruption and wanted nothing to do with it.

I have written that Familya relations became to sour already from 2005 and that was several years before the NOOS case.

I have written that Familya relations became to sour already from 2005 and that was several years before the NOOS case.

Years before everything became public. Doesn't mean it was years before everything was going on. :whistling:

Juan Carlos's graft was long before.

It's the rock and a hard place again, but considering JC decided to back and further Spanish democracy, isn't it just as well Felipe married someone who's outside of the traditional falangistas?

Come on. Don Juan Carlos married a Greek Princess, how can she ever have been falangist ? Don Jaime de Marichalar and Iñaki Urdangarín were 12 respectively 7 years old when Franco died. They never ever were even remotely connected to the Falange (which was disbanded after Franco's death).

[....]
But Letizia just seems a bit off to me. Perhaps she isn't that keen on Being Queen and having to rein herself in as much as she has to do.

That is it. Queen Máxima or Crown Princess Mary always look as if they enjoy themselves. The difference was noticeable at the Garter Ceremony with the King of Spain and the King of the Netherlands.

While Máxima was her relaxed herself, laughing and chatting with Camilla and Catherine, Letizia looked under pressure, almost as if she was afraid to put a foot wrong.

For the rest I have only admiration for Letizia by the way. She is doing a difficult job in a critical country. Máxima or Mary simply do not face the same harsh and often unjustified treatment as Letizia received/receives.

Come on. Don Juan Carlos married a Greek Princess, how can she ever have been falangist ? Don Jaime de Marichalar and Iñaki Urdangarín were 12 respectively 7 years old when Franco died. They never ever were even remotely connected to the Falange (which was disbanded after Franco's death).

Uh, I never said Sofia was falangist or meant to imply that, and I don't know much about the infantas' husbands other than the obvious, but it's a fact there was an enormous overlap between the "traditional Spanish aristocracy and monarchists" and the ones who backed Franco till the end. It's minorly less awkward Felipe didn't obtain a queen from a family full of those kinds of questions.

I often wondered if there was tension with king Juan Carlos and his elder sister the late Infanta Pilar who was sidelined and given no real role other than her patronages/charities.If there was it was below the surface and everything in public smelt of roses.

Before Letizia there was Don Jaime de Marichalar and Inaki having married into the Royal family and goodness knows what went on behind the scenes.

That is it. Queen Máxima or Crown Princess Mary always look as if they enjoy themselves. The difference was noticeable at the Garter Ceremony with the King of Spain and the King of the Netherlands.

While Máxima was her relaxed herself, laughing and chatting with Camilla and Catherine, Letizia looked under pressure, almost as if she was afraid to put a foot wrong.

That seems to be an accurate description and something that she also seems to focus on with her daughters: that the most important thing is never to put a foot wrong. This many times results in visible unease and stiffness making her seem somewhat standoffish.

That seems to be an accurate description and something that she also seems to focus on with her daughters: that the most important thing is never to put a foot wrong. This many times results in visible unease and stiffness making her seem somewhat standoffish.

Which is too often picked up on by the media who then turn into tabloid fodder.

But going back 20 years the spanish RF was quiet united or at last it seemed so. Maybe a coincdence but soon after the Wedding of Felipe and Letizia the relations of him with his sisters became to sour, even before the scandals so it is no wonder that people blame Letizia.

It wasn't right after the wedding. Letizia in the early years seemed to have a cordial relationship with Elena and Cristina.

For the rest I have only admiration for Letizia by the way. She is doing a difficult job in a critical country. Máxima or Mary simply do not face the same harsh and often unjustified treatment as Letizia received/receives.

Well, it's been said countless times before that Maxima also lives and works in a place where she can feel at ease and Letizia, for a host of reasons, does not.

But then affable, charismatic Max did put a very major foot wrong finally with the Greek visit, and has now spent the last year with people side-eyeing her and husband, hard.

Can you imagine Letizia doing that? Can you imagine what would happen if Letizia did do that? There's a good reason you can't.

In my opinion the spanish royal family never gave letizia "room" for her real personality, she wasnt allowed to be herself. Sofia was grown up with protocol, public mind, or how to interact in public. Letizia learned all these things and took it to serious.

Well, it's been said countless times before that Maxima also lives and works in a place where she can feel at ease and Letizia, for a host of reasons, does not.

But then affable, charismatic Max did put a very major foot wrong finally with the Greek visit, and has now spent the last year with people side-eyeing her and husband, hard.

Can you imagine Letizia doing that? Can you imagine what would happen if Letizia did do that? There's a good reason you can't.

I agree and it's true. I always thought Felipe and Letizia are friendlier than Willem and Máxima.
Willem and Maxima look more like snobs. It's my opinion.

It wasn't right after the wedding. Letizia in the early years seemed to have a cordial relationship with Elena and Cristina.

That was the public image which was carefully managed but behind the scenes it may have been very different.

In my opinion the spanish royal family never gave letizia "room" for her real personality, she wasnt allowed to be herself. Sofia was grown up with protocol, public mind, or how to interact in public. Letizia learned all these things and took it to serious.

I think in retrospect Letizia may very well have learned the hard way and was very poorly defended by the royal house .That coupled with souring family relations must have been very very tough.

Last edited:
Spanish society does not have a regime change among its priorities at this time. Only 35% of citizens would like to promote a change in the Constitution at this time to change the monarchy for a republic, according to the survey carried out by IMOP Insights for Vanitatis. The figures are clear. The rest of the population divides their responses into three categories and none of them go through the urgency of promoting a change in the State model.

Specifically, 40% categorically answered no. Another 9% opted for the option that now they are not in favor of that constitutional change, although later they might want to. And 14% of those surveyed recognize that their future decision will depend on how the monarchy acts.

73% believe that Leonor will reign
The main conclusion that the IMOP Insights survey exposes for Vanitatis is that the image of Felipe VI is much superior to that of the institution as a whole, whose prestige has suffered in recent times due to the scandals that affect King Juan Carlos. Still, 73% of those surveyed believe that the Princess of Asturias, Leonor, will become queen.
Specifically, 24.4% of those surveyed believe that it will most certainly be the case, and 48% say that it probably will. In addition, this perception is very high among monarchists (it reaches 90%), but so do respondents who say they are Republicans (50%).
https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencia...anoles-sustituir-monarquia-republica_3139959/

In my country I hear no one speaking about that unlucky Greek one-day-return-trip. It is old news from the earliest days of COVID. Only on these boards. We have seen a lot these days with Máxima's 50th, Amalia's graduation cum laude, the Princess' clever manoeuvre to keep her lavish annual income intact but to return it "when not needed yet", the newly restored Golden State Coach which the King -smartly- has exposed in the middle of a colonial discussion to get input and feedback from society this topic, his overwhelming unannounced visit to a street party in a folksy neighbourhood was the talk of the day, their swing-o-meter is bouncing back for a year while here on this forum it sometimes looks like the Dutch monarchy is going to collapse about their one day annual Easter trip to their house last year (Greece)... :whistling:

What it shows is that the Dutch simply move on and have a well-willingness towards the human beings -with all faults we all have- whom are their royals, while in Spain it looks Letizia seldom gets a fair chance and is eternally portrayed with no basic well-willingness.

Last edited:
In my country I hear no one speaking about that unlucky Greek one-day-return-trip. It is old news from the earliest days of COVID. Only on these boards. We have seen a lot these days with Máxima's 50th, Amalia's graduation cum laude, the Princess' clever manoeuvre to keep her lavish annual income intact but to return it "when not needed yet", the newly restored Golden State Coach which the King -smartly- has exposed in the middle of a colonial discussion to get input and feedback from society this topic, his overwhelming unannounced visit to a street party in a folksy neighbourhood was the talk of the day, their swing-o-meter is bouncing back for a year while here on this forum it sometimes looks like the Dutch monarchy is going to collapse about their one day annual Easter trip to their house last year (Greece)... :whistling:

What it shows is that the Dutch simply move on and have a well-willingness towards the human beings -with all faults we all have- whom are their royals, while in Spain it looks Letizia seldom gets a fair chance and is eternally portrayed with no basic well-willingness.
You must have missed today's news. The prime minister himself was asked (and talked) about the 1-day Greek holiday (when comparing the king's faux pas of yesterday evening).

An Easter trip in October however would be quite spectacular :whistling:

Last edited:
At her engagement events, Letizia came across as overconfident and bossy when dealing with Mama's boy Felipe, taking the lead in the conversation where among other things she described their life together as a 'project'. She didn't realize when the Kings walked into the room and kept talking and talking, Sofia's facial expression said it all. I found the interviews not very well advised because Letizia was talking very confidently about something she clearly did not understand at this stage, how royal life would be, especially the dealing with the tabloid press. Little did she know back then, like still talking about leaving her journalist life slowly instead of instantly, while a few days later she had to terminate her contract with TVE.

She clearly made herself a target that day, and the royal house did nothing to help her. Letizia was put in her place and transformed into an accessory without a voice or an agenda for many years, enduring all the gossip stories that the royal house probably found rather helpful because they deflected from their own issues. Letizia very likely imagined her life as the Princess of Asturias certainly not the way it turned out to be, as Felipe's shadow, but had a far more active role in mind, a la Maxima.

But the Kings were already tired from fighting off Felipe's previous unsuitable girlfriends, especially Eva Sannum, and he was getting older and older, otherwise they would never have allowed their son to marry a divorced woman with a past. Sofia later said in an interview, if your child wants to marry an unsuitable person, all you can do is help to make the marriage work. I think all the camaraderie of the early days was kind of fake and many years later we saw at the mass that the relationship was probably never easy.

Letizia had all features of a career woman but married into an institution that in my opinion did not suit her character at all. She could have been an asset, but the powers that be decided against her and changing anything for her, and obviously Felipe was unable or unwilling to do anything about it. Actually, to this day very little has changed, it's all about Felipe and in comparison as a Queen Letizia hardly has any high profile events on her own agenda.

Therefore I don't believe that Letizia's popularity or unpopularity will play any significant role in the survival of the institution.

At her engagement events, Letizia came across as overconfident and bossy when dealing with Mama's boy Felipe, taking the lead in the conversation where among other things she described their life together as a 'project'. She didn't realize when the Kings walked into the room and kept talking and talking, Sofia's facial expression said it all. I found the interviews not very well advised because Letizia was talking very confidently about something she clearly did not understand at this stage, how royal life would be, especially the dealing with the tabloid press. Little did she know back then, like still talking about leaving her journalist life slowly instead of instantly, while a few days later she had to terminate her contract with TVE.

She clearly made herself a target that day, and the royal house did nothing to help her. Letizia was put in her place and transformed into an accessory without a voice or an agenda for many years, enduring all the gossip stories that the royal house probably found rather helpful because they deflected from their own issues. Letizia very likely imagined her life as the Princess of Asturias certainly not the way it turned out to be, as Felipe's shadow, but had a far more active role in mind, a la Maxima.

But the Kings were already tired from fighting off Felipe's previous unsuitable girlfriends, especially Eva Sannum, and he was getting older and older, otherwise they would never have allowed their son to marry a divorced woman with a past. Sofia later said in an interview, if your child wants to marry an unsuitable person, all you can do is help to make the marriage work. I think all the camaraderie of the early days was kind of fake and many years later we saw at the mass that the relationship was probably never easy.

Letizia had all features of a career woman but married into an institution that in my opinion did not suit her character at all. She could have been an asset, but the powers that be decided against her and changing anything for her, and obviously Felipe was unable or unwilling to do anything about it. Actually, to this day very little has changed, it's all about Felipe and in comparison as a Queen Letizia hardly has any high profile events on her own agenda.

Therefore I don't believe that Letizia's popularity or unpopularity will play any significant role in the survival of the institution.

Well that's good in aw way. I think that Maxima is rather flashy, myself, but all the same Letizia does seem stiff. But it may not be her fault if the SRF isn't very supportive to her.
I agree it seems as if the Family didn't care much for her, and only accpeted her because she seemed the most suitable bride that Felipe had picked. Perhaps it has its good side if her lack of popularity does not affect Felipe... and she can do some work, help her daughters and stay out of the limelight.

Last edited:
You must have missed today's news. The prime minister himself was asked (and talked) about the 1-day Greek holiday (when comparing the king's faux pas of yesterday evening).

An Easter trip in October however would be quite spectacular :whistling:

Oh, I can't believe it. The heiress traveled to Mallorca by private jet with several of her friends. Possibly her father flew the plane. What discretion and what empathy! Very simple and empathetic they are. She gives up his "salary" because he lives a life of luxury and privilege, since his parents' salary is excessive.
And above all, they learn from their "scandals":jajaja::jajaja::jajaja::jajaja:

https://www.mujerhoy.com/celebritie...lorca-vacaciones-polemica-20210616114920.html

https://www.bigbangnews.com/show/bo...-millonario-de-la-hija-de-maxima-202161712300

Yes, at the time we had posters saying that they'd done nothing wrong at all, and had absolutely no need to apologize for anything, and other people viciously attacking the older girls as spoiled for not returning on the same full plane as their parents. So you can see, lots of very silly opinions.

While no one has claimed it would dethrone them, Maxima was just asked and made to answer about the incident for her major birthday interview. I don't think it's been so calmly swept under the rug.

Nevertheless, opinion polls show that support for the Dutch Royal Family has fallen considerably since the Greek debacle.

And with that conclusion it is time to return to the topic of this thread, which is the future and popularity of the Spanish royal family. Rumours in the Spanish press about the Dutch royal family can be discussed in the Dutch forum.

Last edited:
The majority of Spaniards support the Monarchy against a Republic and positively value the reign of Felipe VI.

Seven years after his proclamation as Felipe VI, and in a reign in which all possible crises have come together, the health of the Monarchy continues to be good, according to a survey by NC Report for LA RAZÓN. The reign of Felipe VI is valued "positively" by 69.8 percent of those surveyed, and only 24.5 percent rate it as "negative."

In this new political scenario, where anti-monarchists have more weight in the Government of the Nation, and to which must be added the serious crisis that affects the Emeritus King, 53.7 percent say they prefer the current parliamentary monarchy to a Republic. This model is supported by 38.9 percent of those surveyed.

The answer to the question of whether Princess Eleanor is trusted to inherit the throne confirms, in turn, that there are also a majority who believe that this referendum would end in favor of the Monarchy. 70.2 percent are convinced that Princess Leonor will reign, and only 21.3 percent doubt it.

Regarding another of the issues that are always hovering over the political debate, the decriminalization of insults to the Crown, 50.4 percent declare themselves contrary, with almost a balance between "yes" and "no" in minors 34 years old.

The Emeritus King is one of the headaches of Felipe VI. The evolution of the judicial investigation on his patrimony, especially in what affects Switzerland and Andorra, seems to further complicate the future of Don Juan Carlos, but 51.9 percent of Spaniards approve that the King Emeritus will return to Spain. It is not an option that is on the table today.

Along these lines, 51.8 percent are against holding a referendum on the Monarchy or the Republic, compared to 41.7 percent who are in favor.
https://www.larazon.es/espana/20210620/wz4cck2j4zbhdo4nvwn3vq5hci.html

The majority of Spaniards support the Monarchy against a Republic and positively value the reign of Felipe VI.

How does the roughly 39 % support for a republic compare to previous polls? It seems to be in line with other polls I have seen on the Spanish monarchy.

Probably no near-term threat to the survival of the monarchy, but 41 % support for a referendum and 39 % support for regime change are far from being a comfortable position.

Last edited:
Felipe VI- 6.6
Emerita Sofia- 6.2
Queen Letizia- 6
Princess Eleanor- 5.8
Infanta Sofia- 5.5
Emeritus Juan Carlos- 5.8

The reign of Felipe VI is valued "positively" by 69.8 percent of those surveyed, and only 24.5 percent rate it as "negative." The others do not have an opinion or do not want to comment, so there is ONLY 24 , 5 Republicans

How does the roughly 39 % support for a republic compare to previous polls? It seems to be in line with other polls I have seen on the Spanish monarchy.

Probably no near-term threat to the survival of the monarchy, but 41 % support for a referundum and 39 % support for regime change are far from being a comfortable position.

On a day-to-day basis, you see that support for the king is much greater, but the average percentage falls due to the negative note of the Catalan indepentistas. Support for Felipe VI and the monarchy is very high. Much more than any institution and politician
A 24.5 of people who think negatively about the reign, can only be explained by the political extremisms of the situation we live in.
Vanitatis is a pink-yellow press, La Razón, is a serious newspaper, although I imagine that it remains unreliable in these troubled days

I think you are not understanding the figures. A 70 percent of support to the king, and a 24.5 against; the other respondents do not answer or do not think
Clearly, the monarchy is highly valued, contrary to what many here think and which we Spanish know quite well.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://metroscopia.org/2021/06/17/felipe-vi-siete-anos-de-reinado/

Three out of four
Spaniards consider that this first seven years of the reign of Felipe VI has constituted a period with many more complications and difficulties than usual and that, despite this, the King has managed to adequately perform his functions as Head of State, just as the Constitution establishes them: it has simply been able to live up to the level that the circumstances have permanently required.

This clearly positive assessment of the way in which the King has been able to carry out his functions is undoubtedly related to his good preparation for the position (which indicates a massive 89%), and to his permanent effort, in sustained adverse circumstances, to consolidate and defend the current parliamentary democracy, within what its constitutional functions allow (as 79% of the citizens think).

The very personality of Felipe VI is the object of widely positive recognition: he knows how to take in well the criticisms, and even disqualifications, that are made to him (79% point it out), he rightly represents Spain abroad (78% says it) and it treats all political leaders equally, regardless of their ideology (71% stand out). In sum, eight out of ten Spaniards (78%) conclude that the King, as a person, inspires confidence in them.

The way in which Queen Letizia performs her duties is evaluated favorably by two out of three Spaniards (65%).

In the concrete, and extremely delicate case of the emeritus king, the Spanish predominate widely (66% compared to 28%) who consider that King Felipe VI has acted appropriately so far.

At the present time, and with the present degree of public recognition of the figure and performance of King Felipe VI, the very institution that he embodies seems to be clearly reinforced: two out of every three Spaniards believe that Princess Leonor will arrive, in due course, to be queen and, significantly, an even higher percentage (83%) believe that they will be sufficiently prepared to serve as Head of State, when appropriate.

PS: Metroscopia is a serious company of polls, electoral or political estimates.

Last edited:
Sánchez and the King "banish" the Crown Law
After their meeting yesterday they will set a roadmap with transparency measures for the Institution. The return of the emeritus, no date

The hearing of the Chief Executive, Pedro Sánchez, with King Felipe VI was once again marked by the departure of the emeritus of Spain. The president left no room for interpretation. Yesterday, up to two occasions, to questions from journalists at the Marivent Palace, he praised the transparency and updating of the Royal House thanks to King Felipe VI as well as the Government's respect for the Institutions. His words follow in the wake of the statements he already made at the end-of-year balance press conference in 2020 when he advanced that the King is working, with the support of Moncloa, on a "roadmap" based on the "renewal in as for exemplarity ».

This action plan does not contemplate a Crown Law - in line with the requirements of the minority partner of the coalition - but rather it would be based on decrees or norms that regulate certain aspects of the Royal Household. Among the possibilities that are being considered and that fit with this desire to provide greater transparency and exemplarity would be a reform in the Budget law to establish greater control over the accounts of the Royal House, in such a way as to shed light on some expenses that to this day they cannot be controlled by the Cortes Generales.

Another aspect on which Sánchez himself is willing to move forward is the review of the inviolability of the King and circumscribing it only to the scope of his action as head of state. In any case, beyond the opinion of the Government, any movement will be agreed with Zarzuela and leaves the last word to Felipe VI.

Coincidences of the calendar, the meeting between Pedro Sánchez and Felipe VI coincided with the first anniversary of Juan Carlos I's march to Abu Dhabi and the rumors of his desire to return to Spain. A return that today has no date and that for both Zarzuela and Moncloa is "a problem." His fit in modernization and in the roadmap for the renewal of the Institution is "a stumbling block," say sources consulted by LA RAZÓN.

Sánchez highlighted yesterday of the current monarch "his commitment to the country and his closeness and interest in knowing everything that affects the population as a whole." Another gesture that confirms his full support for the current head of state.

https://www.larazon.es/espana/20210804/o5ysrl2oz5aefmcbqieoggtnsm.html

Two out of every three Spaniards want military training for Leonor.
The King, the best valued with 6.8, followed by Queen Sofía, with 6.6, and the Princess of Asturias, with 6.4.
Most also support the Crown Heir to study Baccalaureate in Wales.
https://www.abc.es/espana/abci-cada...-inducido&vmc=abc-es&vso=tw&vli=noticia.video

The majority support the Monarchy as a form of state
55.3 percent respond that they prefer the current parliamentary monarchy, as established by the Constitution. Support for the Republic as a form of State is reduced to 36.9 percent, that is, 18.4 points less than the Monarchy, despite the constant attacks by one of the Government's partners on the King and the Crown. 4.4 percent declare themselves indifferent.
https://www.abc.es/espana/abci-mayo...s-inducido&vmc=abc-es&vso=tw&vli=noticia.foto

Last edited by a moderator:
What's new in this subject?
I've heard that the current prime minister of Spain is the first who openly declares to be a republican... How does that affect the prospects of the monarchy?

Back
Top Bottom