Future and Popularity of the Spanish Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As I am not Spanish and have no actual say about the Mass issue, I am sure the future King and Queen have taken guidance from people in the know plus the King's own feelings on this subject. One has to think that he feels correct and has his "finger" on the majority of the Spanish citizen's desires. He is not a silly, unworldly man.

Probably some Catholics will remember the claims of HRH the Duke of Parma to the Throne seeing what's going on.
Of course, yes.

Now that people is going out to every square asking for a republic, let´s add another pretender to the throne! Why should we watch HBO´s Game of Thrones? This is waaaaaay better! :D

I just can´t :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The Spaniards criticize everything.

Letizia has done an excellent job as Princess. And is a great Ambassador of Spain.

I need an opinion from Spanish members here. The riots and protests from the population are getting HUGE, they're calling for a referedum, and is making the headlines here even in Portugal.

Will the monarchy be safe? What will they do? I think this is actually getting out of hand.

Of course, yes.

Now that people is going out to every square asking for a republic, let´s add another pretender to the throne! Why should we watch HBO´s Game of Thrones? This is waaaaaay better! :D

I just can´t :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yes, some are beating themselves. :lol::lol::lol:

I need an opinion from Spanish members here. The riots and protests from the population are getting HUGE, they're calling for a referedum, and is making the headlines here even in Portugal.

Will the monarchy be safe? What will they do? I think this is actually getting out of hand.

The monarchy is perfectly safe. The monarchy would be at risk if and only if one of two major political parties supported a republic. That is not the case though as both the PP and the PSOE support Felipe's succession rights. Right now, over 80 % of the members of parliament are expected to vote in favor of the organic law that endorses JC's abdication.

A referendum on the Monarchy can only happen if most of the Parliament decides so. Nowadays, most of the parliament is conformed by PP and PSOE. Others political parties hardly have presence there. And PP and PSOE are both pro-monarchy. So it is highly unlikely that the referendum will be approved any time soon.

Next National elections will be in two years, and it is quite probably that the parliament that will be elected after them won´t be very similar to this one. At the last European elections, PP and PSOE together didn´t get even the 50% of the votes. That had never happened before in our young democracy history. Many small parties, some of them of very leftish sign and republicans, got many of the votes. The historical third party, IU, who is pro-Republic improved a lot its results from the last elections. If this tendency continues this way, it´s possible that in the future parliament the two main parties won´t have the necessary majority to stop the call for a referendum from others parties. It can even be that a Republican majority will conform the Parliament.

But all these are only speculations. As I said before, it is highly unlikely that the government nor the opposition will approve a consult at least in the next two years. If people wants it, then they will have to vote accordingly in next elections.

In democracy, you don´t change things by protesting on streets. You do it by voting.

Last edited:

I'm not Spanish but the way I hear it Prince Felipe is well liked, he has an approval rating of over 60% in Spain (in contrast to his father who has an approval rating of 41%)
Even if a referendum is called it may be set for a year and a half or even two years away, the Spanish wouldn't be voting until June 2016, which gives Felipe and his family plenty of time to win the Spaniards support.

I really doubt it is as bad.
The radical Left -which in last week's Euroelections had 20% of the vote- is good at bringing people on the streets, and that's what it's doing.
Not much more to the story than that.

Still, politicians who are at odds with the public don't stay in office long; some who are pro today may be con tomorrow if the protests continue.

The other thing is that it's possible that the politicians who are republican now could change their stripes/tune/attitude if they ever get in power and see what the royal family does for Spain.

I know there are historical examples of this but am currently blanking on specifics. Off to look it up...

Why Spaniards would wish for a republic when their politicians [who would make up a Republican State], are mired in corruption and scandal is beyond me..

I hope the new King will act to clean out the Augean Stables and give Spaniards renewed confidence in the Monarchy, Democracy and a unified Spain.

He deserves the opportunity !

Sometimes I feel media disinforms more than it informs. :lol: They exaggerate everything. No need to worry in my opinion. Some republicans/far left people took the abdication as an opportunity to protest, like they protest for everything. It doesn't represent a real change in people's minds, it doesn't mean Spain's population has turned republican all of a sudden. Even with the recent scandals, monarchy still does not represent a worry for spaniards, who are far more worried about corrupt politians or high unemployment. Things remain practically the same regarding the monarchy. I think most people, even some republicans, are just good with it as long as it is austere and it does its job.

What gets out of hand sometimes is the sentionalism of some media. I remember when they showed a picture of a woman looking for food in a trash bin as a representation of Spain's economic crisis... :ermm: I mean, just like with the republican protests, they take sporadic events and make it pass as something common to create alarm, but that is not the reality of the majority of the people. It's not close to being as dramatic as they like to portray it.

Sometimes I feel media disinforms more than it informs. :lol: They exaggerate everything. No need to worry in my opinion. Some republicans/far left people took the abdication as an opportunity to protest, like they protest for everything. It doesn't represent a real change in people's minds, it doesn't mean Spain's population has turned republican all of a sudden. Even with the recent scandals, monarchy still does not represent a worry for spaniards, who are far more worried about corrupt politians or high unemployment. Things remain practically the same regarding the monarchy. I think most people, even some republicans, are just good with it as long as it is austere and it does its job.

What gets out of hand sometimes is the sentionalism of some media. I remember when they showed a picture of a woman looking for food in a trash bin as a representation of Spain's economic crisis... :ermm: I mean, just like with the republican protests, they take sporadic events and make it pass as something common to create alarm, but that is not the reality of the majority of the people. It's not close to being as dramatic as they like to portray it.

I love your comment here, the media will do/say/print anything to stir up trouble (mostly when there is no trouble) just to sell papers and make money. The love, the media, to play with people's emotions and minds, they always have to have something to say regardless if it's a dull day in world or not.
I will give you all my republican politicians and you can keep them forever. There is one thing that I noticed about people crying *For A Republic*, they have never lived in a *republic*, they think that once *A Republic* all their problems are going to be solved, there will be no unemployment, there will be plenty to eat, there will be fat bank accounts, there will be jobs for everybody with a high salary and all will have peace in the world.... how sad when reality hits! The ones that cry republic are just fooling the public and themselves and I live in a republic, and I have no one in my government that represents the people at all. Once in government, they never want to leave the seat that gives them the power and money.

Whew! Glad to hear this relieving message. Now that I think of it, these articles I read are really exaggerated.

Why Spaniards would wish for a republic when their politicians [who would make up a Republican State], are mired in corruption and scandal is beyond me..

I hope the new King will act to clean out the Augean Stables and give Spaniards renewed confidence in the Monarchy, Democracy and a unified Spain.

He deserves the opportunity !

That is the eternal contradiction of some sectors in Spain.

Some believe that the Republic is better because it is a more democratic system. Among these many consider the Monarchy has done good service to Spain, and while that remains the same is more practical.

But then there is a sector of the left, who lives in the past in an idealization of the Second Spanish Republic. They want a republic, but their republic ... when they raise the possibility that the President is a member of the Conservative Party (especially the hated former President Aznar)... almost want to stick with the monarchy.

As much as some prefer a republic, there is not much confidence in the Spanish politicians. Is another of the contradictions of surveys ... Prince Felipe reaches a 7.5 out of 10 ... if politicians reach a 5 is a miracle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will the Grandee of Spain curtesing Her ?

Last edited:
Will the Grandee of Spain courtesy Her

They SHOULD, and i hope they will.. She will be their Queen, and is the choice of their King !

They SHOULD, and i hope they will.. She will be their Queen, and is the choice of their King !

Making a bow, a handkiss or a curtsey is always optional, never an obligation. Anyone who wants to give a handshake, no matter a Grande de España or not, is perfectly right to do so, without any offense.

:flowers:

I read in a Norwegian newspaper that support for the monarchy has increased in recent days, is there anyone who can answer me if this is correct?

:ermm:I wonder now if the media will be treating her like they did before she became Queen Letizia..........they were down right cruel and hateful at times. I hope she has a very long memory and puts them in their place without them even knowing it until it's to late.
And just who do the media think they are:bang:...........kings and queens, their jealousy is showing!

:previous: I think how Letizia is perceived as Queen largely rests on Queen Sofia. If she remains high profile then Letizia will always be seen as the "lesser queen" and Sofia the de facto Queen.

It's a hard one because I also think that Sofia's input could be invaluable for the new regent couple so, who knows.

Back
Top Bottom