Future and Popularity of the Spanish Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it means a lot more - unlike Denmark, where they'd merely like Margrethe to abdicate, I believe in Spain they might start demanding it. Especially now that Cristina faces charges.
Gracie my friend you are "on it" today! I believe you are right.

I think it means a lot more - unlike Denmark, where they'd merely like Margrethe to abdicate, I believe in Spain they might start demanding it. Especially now that Cristina faces charges.
Indeed. I don´t think we can´t compare Denmark´s and Spain´s surveys about the monarchy. Margrethe is popular, JC isn´t (looking at their results in both surveys). So, in Spain´s case, it isn´t just a question of "making place for the younger generation".

Last edited:
I am normally against abdication but if Juan Carlos want's the monarchy to survive I think he should abdicate.

I am normally against abdication but if Juan Carlos want's the monarchy to survive I think he should abdicate.

But I do not think that is a very good idea for Juan Carlos to abdicate. The spanish constitution must be reformed in a near future and the Catalans are pressing for their independence, and with the financial crises in Spain, the government is not in a very stable situation. So I think that abdication is not a very good choice for the king to take for the sake of the country itself.

But I do not think that is a very good idea for Juan Carlos to abdicate. The spanish constitution must be reformed in a near future and the Catalans are pressing for their independence, and with the financial crises in Spain, the government is not in a very stable situation. So I think that abdication is not a very good choice for the king to take for the sake of the country itself.

The best bet against Juan Carlos abdication is his possible loss of immunity. The political system has been corrupt for decades and still is, why would the King be an exception, especially when applying today's moral standards. I don't think the political elite of the country would be interested in people digging really deep.

Last edited:

From what I have read, the main political parties are saying nothing because they are both pro-monarchy. So I dont think there is currently a risk that the monarchy will fall because it takes political will. It is weakened and I think it needs more than one opinion poll and a seriously bad news week (it is only Tuesday :eek:) before he will quit.

I have to agree. This is very different from the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg's recent abdications. :ermm:

No Duke, the questions are the same for all respondents. Those who are not supporters of the monarchy, also respond on the popularity of Prince or abdication.

You are right lula. I found a link to the survey with its key messages:
El apoyo a la Monarqua sigue cayendo pero crece la valoracin del Prncipe Felipe | Espaa | EL MUNDO

Support for the monarchy is still falling: for the first time is no more than 50 percent supporting the monarchy as a form of state
66% had good or very good opinion of the Prince
57% believe that Prince Philip will recover the prestige of the Crown

In the last 12 months, supporting the reign of Don Juan Carlos has dropped nine points (to 41.3% ), while the call for abdication gained 17 points (to 62%). At the same time, the monarchy lost five points , reaching 49.9%. 69% see the King unable to regain lost prestige.

But not all is bad for the institution: Queen Sofia and Prince Felipe share popularity on an almost indentical level: Sofia with 67 %, Felipe with 66.4% . Compared to last year, both earn five points. Spaniards think highly of them because of sense of duty and lack of scandals in private life.

There are results about Letizia too, which I will post in the Letizia and the press thread that seems to fit the topic better.

The Dutch monarchy has had three abdications in a row and it seems the sensible thing to do generally and not only when there is a crisis like currently in Spain. Why wait for so much damage to be done before having to abdicate anyway?

The Dutch monarchy has had three abdications in a row and it seems the sensible thing to do generally and not only when there is a crisis like currently in Spain. Why wait for so much damage to be done before having to abdicate anyway?

Why would he have to abdicate anyway?

In the Netherlands its kind of a tradition to abdicate (there is no tradition in Europe, most monarchs want to stay on till death) in order to enjoy retirement. Nothing of this is applicable to Spain or any other country.

Let' s stay realistic: monarchy all over the world will soon disappear.
In Europe were we probably will need a United States of Europe to survive, sooner than later we will probably have a european government a european parliament and a head of state that for sure will be an elected president.

I understand your point .... but today the Spaniards can ALSO fingerpoint to the RF and can say: "Look, another building lot".

The King with permanent crutches ("ill like the system") a super-bad reputation and (at least until now) no signs of regaining trust and the closeness to his daughter, where the situation has been worsened now again. Something more where Spain can no longer look at with "trust" and "confidence".

So I see the only brightness in the future with the PoA. Young, modern, close to the poeple and "out of the scandals".
Bye Bine

I think the King should abdicate for Prince Felipe. The Prince of Asturias is more popular and can recover the prestige of the Crown.

In Europe were we probably will need a United States of Europe to survive, sooner than later we will probably have a european government a european parliament and a head of state that for sure will be an elected president.
No thank you.

let' s stay realistic: Monarchy all over the world will soon disappear.
In europe were we probably will need a united states of europe to survive, sooner than later we will probably have a european government a european parliament and a head of state that for sure will be an elected president.

no, thanks.

No thank you.

Over my dead body!

GOD SAVE QUEEN MARGRETHE II!!!

I think The Prince & Princess of Asturias is ready and well trained to take on the responsibilities of the throne and breath new life into the Spanish Monarchy.

Next year,2015 would mark King Juan Carlos's Ruby Jubilee (40 years on the throne) and also marking 40 years since the death of General Franco.In normal times this would have marked a great celebration of the kings legacy but somehow I can't see any celebrations!

Next year,2015 would mark King Juan Carlos's Ruby Jubilee (40 years on the throne) and also marking 40 years since the death of General Franco.In normal times this would have marked a great celebration of the kings legacy but somehow I can't see any celebrations!
I doubt it. There where also no big celebrations for his Silver Jubilee in 2000 and at that time the King was very popular and also Spain's economy was good.

Last edited:
I think The Prince & Princess of Asturias is ready and well trained to take on the responsibilities of the throne and breath new life into the Spanish Monarchy.

I completely agree.

I doubt it. There where also no big celebrations for his Silver Jubilee in 2000 and at that time the King was very popular and also Spain's economy was good.

That's true Stefan,looks like there's nothing to celebrate for embattled King Juan Carlos!

They used to say all that with a much greater audience right after WWI. It didn't happen then. It won't happen now. That's just the way it is.

“The next four, five, six months will be key to the path the monarchy takes. Either these problems are forgotten or by the summer we will have an abdication. It is a critical moment,” said the king’s biographer, Cesar de la Lama.
PressTV - Spain King ready to abdicate throne

A quote ascribed to the 19th century French noble & diplomat Talleyrand on the Bourbons he is said to have cynically remarked "they had learned nothing and forgotten nothing"....

Back
Top Bottom