Future and Popularity of the Spanish Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Barómetro del CIS: la Monarquía suspende por primera vez con un 4,89 – laRepublica.es :: el periódico libre para una ciudadanía informada

For the first time, the monarchy only scores below average (4.89/10). The only institution in which citizens say they trust is the military (5.65/10), the rest, government, parliament, parties, Catholic Church and other regional governments generate more distrust than trust.

The Monarchy has been losing positions from the 80's, when the CIS started the annual surveys, but always got good grades. In 1999 the degree of faith in the monarchy was 6.86. By the turn of the century the deterioration of its image is emphasized. In the last survey, November 2010, the public gave confidence with a 5.36/10.

The distrust is greater among men, a genre in which the average degree of confidence in the Crown is 4.60, the women's degree is 5.19. The level of faith falls by age, and the institution is suspended in all sections except 55 to 64 years and 65 years and older while the most suspicious are young people between 18 and 24, a segment in which the average grade is 4.35.

I didn't find the results worrying, given the situation in Spain is no wonder people don't have great trust in any political institutions, and even though the Monarchy scores below average for the first time its grade is still higher than any other political institution. It could be better but it's certainly not a big deal(i.e. the Congress scored much lower, it doesn't mean we want it gone)
Another thing that wasn't mentioned in the post is that between voters of the two main political parties the monarchy still gets above 5.0 grades, it's only among voters in nationalist and the far-left/communist party when the monarchy gets below average grades.

New poll after Urdangarín's mess.
Published today in El Mundo: El Mundo 2 Enero 2012 - YouKioske

76% have a good or very good opinion of the King
70% have a good or very good opinion of the Prince of Asturias
73% have a bad or very bad opinion of Iñaki Urdangarín
60% like a Monarchy for Spain, 30% don't like a Monarchy for Spain
68% think the indirect mention of Urdangarín in the King's Christmas message was adecuate. (8% don't)
88% agree it's a good idea removing Urdangarín from official activities
45% thinks the Royal Household has handled the Urdangarín scandal well, 35% don't think so.

I think I'm going to stop being a Spanish royal watcher,I've followed them for many years :flowers:

A royal Family thats afraid to be Royal are sadly not worth the effort in my opinion.

Sorry if I'm late but I've just read the thread and I've been shocked... Do you really think it was such a big mistake not attending Prince Albert's wedding? Forgive me if I misunderstand and correct me if I'm wrong. Well, I just can explain to you the rumours we heard in Spain about it, because for us it was also really strange that no one attended the wedding. One of the rumours (the most spreaded, I think) it's that the relationship about The Spanish Royals and Prince Albert is not the best since in a IOC meeting, Albert said Madrid was not a good place to organize the Olympic Games because it was not a safe place (it was after the terrorist attack in Madrid in 2004) People in Spain felt very offended and I think specially the Royal Family. We've heard since that day the relationship is not very good. Who knows... It's just a rumour. But I think the relationship with Princess Caroline is very good.
Just let me remind you something: when Prince Rainier married Grace Kelly, Prince Juan Carlos and Princess Sofia were one of the small list of Royals who attended. Most of European Royals thought then that wedding was not worth it (the Principality of Monaco was not then as glamorous as it is now) so most of Royals thought it was not worth enough for them to attend. So do not think SRF has scorned the Principality of Monaco, that's not fair...

Whatever the reasons were, I dont think the relationship is strained as JC made an effort on crutches to attend a big boy event with Prince Albert at Monaco boat show in September 2011, at a time when he even scratched Spanish events outside Zarzuela due to his knee/foot problems.
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/12...7356F3B2C9A583C93C6C4BB455C2EE30A760B0D811297

Maybe Sofia did not forgive Albert the Olympia blow when he supported London but she is known to be professional.

The reasons remain a mystery, it seems the handling within Zarzuela was quite chaotic.

Sorry if I'm late but I've just read the thread and I've been shocked... Do you really think it was such a big mistake not attending Prince Albert's wedding? Forgive me if I misunderstand and correct me if I'm wrong. Well, I just can explain to you the rumours we heard in Spain about it, because for us it was also really strange that no one attended the wedding. One of the rumours (the most spreaded, I think) it's that the relationship about The Spanish Royals and Prince Albert is not the best since in a IOC meeting, Albert said Madrid was not a good place to organize the Olympic Games because it was not a safe place (it was after the terrorist attack in Madrid in 2004) People in Spain felt very offended and I think specially the Royal Family. We've heard since that day the relationship is not very good. Who knows... It's just a rumour. But I think the relationship with Princess Caroline is very good.
Just let me remind you something: when Prince Rainier married Grace Kelly, Prince Juan Carlos and Princess Sofia were one of the small list of Royals who attended. Most of European Royals thought then that wedding was not worth it (the Principality of Monaco was not then as glamorous as it is now) so most of Royals thought it was not worth enough for them to attend. So do not think SRF has scorned the Principality of Monaco, that's not fair...

I've made a big mistake and I apologize!!!!! Juan Carlos and Sofia married in 1962 and Rainier and Grace in 1956, so they never attended that wedding together! I am really sorry for the mistake and I do not want to seem not rigorous!!! Please, accept all my apologize! I am so sorry!

The king had confirmed his presence, was in the dossier of press with the important guests that the Principality published. Normally the king goes to celebrations, funerals and in this case wedding of Chiefs of State (not Crown Princes, that were other weddings).

But he suffered the operation of knee ... probably he was obstinate and thought that he might recover to go and was not like that. And into a State wedding you cannot change the representation a few days before, there are problems of safety, of protocol... As Duke says, I do not believe that they have any problem ... simply it was a circumstance.

The king had confirmed his presence, was in the dossier of press with the important guests that the Principality published. Normally the king goes to celebrations, funerals and in this case wedding of Chiefs of State (not Crown Princes, that were other weddings).

But he suffered the operation of knee ... probably he was obstinate and thought that he might recover to go and was not like that. And into a State wedding you cannot change the representation a few days before, there are problems of safety, of protocol... As Duke says, I do not believe that they have any problem ... simply it was a circumstance.

Thanks for the information, lula... I didn't know about this... I even doubted if the SRF had been invited or not because I was sure they don't do this kind of arrogant actions and I didn't know either that the protocol was so strict for not being able to change the King for the Queen, for example... Had no idea! Thanks for you remark!

Glad to see some positive news regarding the future of the Monarchy!

Spanish king criticized for going elephant hunting in Africa as nation reels in economic pain
Spanish newspapers were filled with accounts of how hunting trips to Botswana, where Juan Carlos fell, cost more than most Spaniards earn in a year. El Pais, Spain's leading newspaper, said the cost to arrange a hunting trip in Botswana to kill an elephant usually comes in at €44,000 ($57,850), about twice the country's average annual salary. Spain is currently perceived as the weakest link in the 17-nation eurozone, and many investors fear it could become the next country to seek an international bailout. But the country with eurozone's No. 4 economy is seen as too big to bail out. Unemployment stands at nearly 23 per cent — nearly 50 per cent for young workers — and Spain is expected to slide into its second recession in three years soon.
Newspaper El Mundo, which usually supports Spain's royalty, reported the king had been hunting elephants for four days in Botswana before he tripped and fell before dawn Friday at the chalet where he was staying. Citing royal spokesman Rafael Spottorno, El Mundo said the king had not told Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy's government of his trip abroad until after the accident."The prime minister must know at all times where the head of state is," El Mundo said in an editorial.
This is not the first time the aging monarch's love of hunting has caused concern. In October 2006, a Russian governor launched an inquiry into reports that Juan Carlos had shot and killed a bear while on holiday near Moscow. Vyacheslav Pozgalyov, governor of the Vologda region northeast of Moscow, had reportedly received a letter from the region's deputy hunting chief, Sergei Starostin, claiming a bear had been fed honey mixed with vodka before being released near where the king was to hunt.

What now for Spain’s monarchy?

King Juan Carlos has apologised for hunting in Botswana while the Spanish economy was in crisis, but doubts still hang over his role and that of his family.
What now for Spain

What now for Spain’s monarchy?

King Juan Carlos has apologised for hunting in Botswana while the Spanish economy was in crisis, but doubts still hang over his role and that of his family.
What now for Spain

Are there mass protests against the King outside Zarzuela,unless that happens I wouldn't worry too much about the future of the Monarchy...for now ;)

Me neither An Ard Ri, the king has built up quite some credit! And on the bright side, in some odd way all the mess of late, reflects positively on the Princes of Asturias.

The King, with a 5.4 out of ten, is the personality that best value Spanish citizens, according to the latest Barometer of the Elcano Royal Institute

El Rey, el mejor valorado por los espaoles en el barmetro del Real Instituto Elcano - ABC.es

(This survey does not ask about Prince Felipe)

What works for Spanish people

(...)

La Crown (personified by the King and the Prince of Asturias) recorded for the first time, an investment in citizen evaluation: Prince Felipe (with a balance of +29) is above the current Head of State (+15) . The wide approval rating to the way the call to be his successor conducts his functions, who not only consolidated but even slowly expands, it is certainly good news for all who may feel concern about the level of popular support in our present form of government.

Qué funciona para el español | Política | EL PAÍS

Hello, I was looking on facebook and found several groups of Spanish Republicans.

Spain may become a REPUBLIC?

Does anyone know about Catalan independence plans? Would they keep the monarchy as a shared arrangement or would they opt for a republic?

Does anyone know about Catalan independence plans? Would they keep the monarchy as a shared arrangement or would they opt for a republic?

Well since Juan Carlos represents the Spanish state and the Spanish monarchy, and elements in Catalonia want independence from the Spanish state it seems reasonable that if they were successful in gaining independence from Spain they would also cast off the Spanish monarchy and opt for a republic.

:previous:
It is highly unlikely that, should Catalonia gain its independence from Spain, they would keep Monarchy as form of their Government.
The relationships between the Spanish Monarchy (in the new era) and Catalonia have never been the soundest to begin with.

Of course in times of economic hardship the movement gets stronger, eg these days there are a lot of demonstrations - recently millions on the street - and it shows in everyday life in Barcelona, a lot is written in catalan only. Catalonia is comparably wealthy to the rest of Spain. Its the same in other countries, Italy, Germany, the rich parts refuse to continue to pay for the poorer ones.

But the movement has always been there, eg the royals, not only the Prince but also the King, have been booed at the football when present for many many years now.

Back
Top Bottom