Future and Popularity of the Spanish Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is why member of nobility is viewed as more suitable partners than commoners (e.g., Princess Diana, or Crown Princess Mathilde, or Don Jaime).

Who views the member of nobility as more suitable partners than commoners ? Nobles themselve LOL :). That was exactly the point of Carmen. In terms of equal royal marriage law, the nobles and commoners were in the same boat.

The first marriage and acrimonious divorce of Prince of Wales have contributed to acceptance of commoners as spouses to Crown Princes. The second marriage of Prince of Wales may help Crown Princess Leticia to become Queen Leticia …

Completely untrue {edited by Avalon}. The second marriage of Charles happened after those commoner marriages. Princess of Asturias will automatically become Queen Letizia after Felipe becomes King without any help.
Elena studies education and is a kindergarten teacher. She is far behind her brother in terms of preparation to be the Head of State (I don't have anything against Kindergarten teachers). I do think the transition for her to be the heiress, later the Queen, would be extremely difficult , at least in a country like Spain with complicated political and media environment and it has nothing to do with her personal life.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may regard my views as clueless. You are entitled to your opinion and I have a right to express my own. I have not offended anyone in my post. I have stated my understanding of the issues without pretences of being infallible.
The second marriage of Prince Charles has set the precedent that the Crown Prince do not lose his right to ascend the throne just because he is married to a divorced commoner. This is the point under discussion, isn't it?

You may regard my views as clueless. You are entitled to your opinion and I have a right to express my own. I have not offended anyone in my post. I have stated my understanding of the issues without pretences of being infallible.
The second marriage of Prince Charles has set the precedent that the Crown Prince do not lose his right to ascend the throne just because he is married to a divorced commoner. This is the point under discussion, isn't it?

It's not a matter of opinions. You need to follow the constitution on the approval of CP's marriage and the right to the throne (other posters had stated here quite a few times). As long as PoA's marriage is approved by the King and the Paliament, he doesn't lose his right to the throne, other people's marriage (ex. Charles') has nothing to do with it.

I am glad to learn that Prince and Princess of Asturias are not threatened by the stupid ancient laws. It is nice that the Spanish Royal family respected the choice of Prince Felipe and that the article in question has nothing to do with the reality.

The only reason by that prince Felipe were lost his rights al throne of Spain, had been if its marriage had been made in against del King and delas Spanish Cortes. The pragmatica sanction already is in disuse and thanks to God the marriages between different princes of monarquias are not the habitual thing. The benefit among other things, is that at least the diseases of genetic transmission quedarón in the forgetfulness. We do not forget that the daughters of Reina Victory infected to monarquias of average world hemofilia. better at the present time, right?

A pool: El 70% de los españoles cree que el Rey no debe abdicar

Some people can translate it better than I can?.

I think it's very positive for SRF, Monarchy an the King.

Opinion abaut the princess of Asturias is very positive, I think so!... 75% of spaniards think that she will be a queen respected, only 14% no (question nº 10). Question nº 9 is abaut the princess too.

question nº 7, opinion about the King's abdication it's very interesant too.

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/8198/fotoencuesta1iz8nu0.jpg
You prefer that Spain be:
Monarchy 66.7%
Republic 30.1%
NS/NC 302%
monarchic Women 71.6%
republican Women 25.3%
monarchic Men 61.5%
republican Men 35.1%
Young persons(18-29 years old)
Monarchic 56.4%
republican 40.8%
Old persons(+64)
Monarchic 82.5%
republican 14.3%
Monarchic Catalans 49.2%
republican Catalans 46.6%
monarchic Basques 44.3%
republican Basques 47.7%

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/5356/fotoencuesta2yi1lb7.jpg
How do you value the monarchy as form of government?

It's the best form 52.8%
It's a minor bad 32.9%
It's the worst form 11%
NS/NC 3.2%

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/3615/fotoencuesta3ah0av9.jpg
Are you in agreement with the fact that the royal family is associate so much with the religious worship? (I don't know how translate "laico" and "acofesional)"

A little or nothing 52.3
I very agree 23.9
NS/NC 23.8

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/11/fotoencuesta7wm6lg8.jpg
Do you think that the prince already has the respect and admiration that the King has?

He need to win it 52.1
Yes, he won it 46.1
NS/NC 1.8

Last edited:
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/5949/fotoencuesta5db3yk2.jpg
Do you think it's negative for the monarchic institution that the princess is divorced and plebeian?

Nothing negative 74.8%
A bit negative 12.8%
very negative 5%
really negative 3.9%
NS/NC 3.4%

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/6189/fotoencuesta6tn0re0.jpg
Do you think that thre Princes are....

More close(with the people) than when they compromised 37.2%
Equal of close 51%
Less close 10%
NC/NS 23.8%

Last edited:
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/9522/fotoencuesta12wk0hx1.jpg

Do you believe Prince Felipe will be King? 84.4%
Do You believe Infanta Leonor will be Queen? 53.9%
Do you believe that Infanta Leonor's Kids will reign? 35.9%

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/5306/fotoencuesta13zq5hv2.jpg
Do you believe that the separation of the infanta elena will affect the monarchy?

Really much 5.9%
Very much 10.3%
A little 33.4%
Nothing 49.2%
NC/NS 1.2%

Last edited:
Is Juan Carlos well received by the general public of Catalonia ?

If the majority of the people of Catalonia decide to go their separate way from the rest of Spain, what are they going to do with the king ?

That surveys are a bit confusing. EL Pais published that 87% of the Spanish citizens thought that Felipe should win his trone working harder and that he was not prepared yet.

Letizia ranges from about 58% of acceptance specially in big cities but a low 35% in provinces. Recently I have read about 60% in total.

A new survey upon the 5th Wedding Anniversary of the Princes of Asturias

King Juan Carlos

Abdicate upon disability 57.4%
Abdicate soon 22%
Abdicate within 8-10 years 11%

Prince Felipe

Ready to replace his father 81%
Not Ready yet 11.5%
Don't know 8.4%

Princess Letizia

Living up to the expectations of the Princess of Asturias 81.7%
Ready to replace Queen Sofia 53.7%
Not Ready yet 30.2%

http://estaticos.elmundo.es/documentos/2009/05/16/portada.pdf

A new survey upon the 5th Wedding Anniversary of the Princes of Asturias

King Juan Carlos

Abdicate upon disability 57.4%
Abdicate soon 22%
Abdicate within 8-10 years 11%

Prince Felipe

Ready to replace his father 81%
Not Ready yet 11.5%
Don't know 8.4%

Princess Letizia

Living up to the expectations of the Princess of Asturias 81.7%
Ready to replace Queen Sofia 53.7%
Not Ready yet 30.2%

http://estaticos.elmundo.es/documentos/2009/05/16/portada.pdf

This is promising....

I am not sure if this has already been discussed or even if this is the right place for this, but does anyone know what will happen to the House of Borbon when Leonor's kids rule? In other words would they start a new dynasty since their father would likely not be a Bornon? Will Leonor be the end of the Bornon line? I know that's a long ways off but I was just wondering.

ladejesus said:
I am not sure if this has already been discussed or even if this is the right place for this, but does anyone know what will happen to the House of Borbon when Leonor's kids rule? In other words would they start a new dynasty since their father would likely not be a Bornon? Will Leonor be the end of the Bornon line? I know that's a long ways off but I was just wondering.

I assume that when the time comes, steps will be taken to prevent the change of the dynasty name. Perhaps, they will adopt the same path as England: when Princess Elizabeth became Queen, it would have been the standard procedure for the entire Royal House to adopt the surname of her husband (who belonged to the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, a branch of the House of Oldenburg), as was the case with the previous female Monarch – Queen Victoria. However, after Queen Elizabeth’s accession to the Throne in 1952, it was officially declared that the House (and Family) name will remain Windsor.

Thanks Marsel. I didn't realize they had done that in England.

Whatever the children of Leonor will be named, the other dinastic members of the Bourbon family will probably claim the headship of the house, something not linked to the Spanish crown but to the Capetien and Bourbon cultural and moral heritage.
I think it would be more fair if Spanish law adopt a system as the belgian one (I think) in which the surname of the princes is "of Spain".

I think the first question is:
Can be Leonor,Queen ? The answer is that today the Spanish Constitution has not changed, it says that the throne only can be inherited by men. It must be changed for that she can be Queen.

I think the first question is:
Can be Leonor,Queen ? The answer is that today the Spanish Constitution has not changed, it says that the throne only can be inherited by men. It must be changed for that she can be Queen.

No Spain only has a male preference, Leonor can become queen unless she has a brother with an unchanged constitution.

Ask a similar question in Britain, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, any monarchy, if the heir's kids will actually reign, I think there will be similar results. Monarchy in general in getting less and less popular, maybe in Spain it's a little bit more unpopular than in other countries but in general the institution is in decline.

You're right Duke. I believe Salic Law was repealled in Spain by Ferdinand VII leading to the Carlist Wars upon his death.

Yes you are right ladejesus. Fernando VII repealled the Salic Law upon is dead so his sucessor
was his daugther, Isabel know as Isabel II

Originally Posted by lula
Activities of the Royal Family during the year 2009

Balance de actividades de la Familia Real durante el año 2009. Casa de Su Majestad el Rey de España

Google automatic translation.

Report of the 2009 SRF's activities
Google Traducir
They are doing a vast amount of events, whether there is substance in everything or the main purpose is to look busy ... let's leave aside this question.

In general I think it's the right thing to do to put the focus on Kings and Princes, however, taking on these vast number of events will be a difficult thing to keep up in the future with the Kings not getting younger and the Asturias' kids not ready for duty in the next 25 years. The number will have to drop, big time, as the SRF will be running out of people.

In general I think that the Infantas should be working much more, Cristina is kind of excused now living abroad but Elena's amout of work is not impressive, really.

To focus on a 1 man - 1 woman show (F&L) in the future is a risky strategy.

I don´t see why not producing a male heir let her in a worse position. Leonor is the heiress, she can reign if she has no brothers, and it seems that they won´t have more children, so there is no problem about that.
Or do you think that the Spanish Royal Family just think that Leonor shouldn´t be queen? There have been other queens in Spain already ;)

A male heir is still preferred by constitutional law to this very day, therefore there is some kind of pressure to produce a male heir to please tradition.

Reality is that Leonor will be Queen only if she has no brother, in 21st century it makes her kind of 2nd class heiress (only succeeding because the male heir is missing). Given "the logic of times", according to Felipe, the firstborn should be heirESS, no matter what sex (even though there might be advantages and disadvantages to this solution). It is dissapointing that Spain is one of the few countries that hasnt changed the constitution that is being labelled "sexist" in modern times, Zapatero promised to make changes but obviously he has other problems and in times of crisis he prefes to look after himself and not touch a hot topic. I wonder if a Spanish president (and the SRF) will have the guts to touch this subject, ever. Seems all parties involved are too afraid of being deselected/abolished when leaving this decision to (a maybe frustrated and unpredictable) public.

Back
Top Bottom