Death & Funeral of Cayetana Fitz-James Stuart, 18th Duchess of Alba: Nov 20+21, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The family have always been loyal to the monarchy, I don't want to sound disrespectful but I think I think the Duchess deserves better than Elena when it comes to her funeral.

my thoughts exactly.

I'm guessing that Queen Sofia will be attending the Nuevo Futuro with Infanta Pilar in Madrid and that can't be changed.The King has official acts and Queen Letizia will be just back from her visit to Rome.

surely pilar could attend nuevo futuro by herself, it would be totally understood given the circumstances.

For me it's strange that high members of SRF didn't attend the funeral.

In fact, maybe their relations with Duchess of Alba were rather distant.

not at all. reportedly, the duchess of alba was the person who helped introduce sofia to spain and spanish traditions when she arrived from greece. they apparently were in touch often on the phone these days. to me, the attendance of sofia would have been appropriate.

i loved reading the story of the duchess being playmated with queen elizabeth whilst she lived in london (her father was the ambassador to spain), or of her hosting meetings and galas where she would invite the likes of jackie kennedy or grace kelly, who no one else was able to do before her, as jackie and grace didn't get on.

yes, funerals in spain take place earlier than they do in anglo saxon countries from my experience. however, i believe what is now taking place is the wake, where the coffin is presented for people to pay their last respects, and the funeral will most likely take place in the next couple of days.

Funerals in Ireland normally take place 2 or 3 days after the death,perhaps its a RC custom.

That's interesting, thank you both for the information. :flowers: I'm an Anglican and most of my family are members of the Church of England, so am used to attending the funeral a few weeks or even a month after the actual death or so. But within that spare time, there's all the paperwork and forms to fill out, as well as writing the eulogy and order of service.

The historical heritage of the House of Alba is on a foundation, and the control passes to the eldest son, Carlos.

Fundación casa de alba

Some private possessions of the Duchess were distributed among her children, as a condition for accepting the marriage with Alfonso Díez.

The Duchess has given nobility titles to all her children. Carlos will inherit the titles linked historically to the House of Alba, and her second son Alfonso already has the titles of the House of Hijar (belonging to the maternal grandfather of the duchess, at Cayetana's death he established to separate them from the House of Alba).

Ah OK, thanks for the information lula. :flowers: I wasn't aware of the foundation. It's normal that other possessions will be passed onto the Duchess's husband and other children, as that usually is mentioned in wills.

Notre condolences.und tres Grande dame,

Vous avait bien raison,

Last edited by a moderator:
She was an extraordinary lady. may she rest in peace.

She was a great lady, full of vivacity and personnality. She had a full life, she did everything as per her own path and choices, but she never lost esteem and love of her family, friends and "her people".

RIP Dona Cayetana, you did not have Goya to paint you, but you will stay to our memories, as per your homonumous ancestor.

Where was the duchess buried? I saw no mention or photographs.

She was a great lady, full of vivacity and personnality. She had a full life, she did everything as per her own path and choices, but she never lost esteem and love of her family, friends and "her people".

RIP Dona Cayetana, you did not have Goya to paint you, but you will stay to our memories, as per your homonumous ancestor.
Goya's Duchess of Alba wasn't ancestor of Cayetana, 18th Duchess of Alba (only a very distant relative)

Where was the duchess buried? I saw no mention or photographs.

I believe the Duchess was cremated and her ashes will be split between 2 churches one in Madrid and another in Seville.

Oh, that's interesting. Thanks much An Ard Ri!:)

Last edited:

From what I've read of her life and times, she didn't need Goya to paint her. She was the artist herself that painted a life filled with joy, love and laughter.

Most media in Spain speculate that there was a rift between JC and Sofia and Cayetana because of her late marriage. The Alba children tried to talk their mother out of marrying Alfonso and even involved JC and Sofia to help their cause. Obviously both sided with the Alba children but that couldnt change Cayetana's mind. She finally married Alfonso, giving to her children their respective heritage and Alfonso renouncing any financial gain from the marriage.

DoM, I figured that that is what happened. Still, given the staunch support of the Alba family for the Spanish monarchy over the years, given Her Excellency's status as the representative of the most prestigious ducal House in Spain and one of the most prestigious in all of Europe,it would have been nice to see the former king or queen pay tribute at the services.

I told you 2014 has been a dark year, didn't I? This is most upsetting! :cry: :sad:

I kept Her Excellency in my prayers.

It is devastating to see younger people passing away, she could have lived for at least ten more years!

Her Excellency had personality, something that most people lack these days. With her, a golden era dies too.

I loved her for one more reason. She was a staunch supporter of marriage, like myself. She chose to move forward to a third marriage than live in sin. Which was right and set an example for all these couples, who remain unmarried.

Rest in peace, Jewel of Iberia! :flowers: :sad:

From what I've read of her life and times, she didn't need Goya to paint her. She was the artist herself that painted a life filled with joy, love and laughter.

That is the most beautiful and wonderful comment I have read on anyone here, and I so agree with you. She loved life and lived it completely to the fullest of anyone on this earth. And she also had a beautiful heart and soul!
:flowers::)

The phrase "joie de vivre" always comes to mind when I think of her. She loved life and she lived it to the fullest. She was forever young, in mind, spirit and heart.
Rest in peace.

Last edited:
I told you 2014 has been a dark year, didn't I? This is most upsetting! :cry: :sad:

I kept Her Excellency in my prayers.

It is devastating to see younger people passing away, she could have lived for at least ten more years!

Her Excellency had personality, something that most people lack these days. With her, a golden era dies too.

I loved her for one more reason. She was a staunch supporter of marriage, like myself. She chose to move forward to a third marriage than live in sin. Which was right and set an example for all these couples, who remain unmarried.

Rest in peace, Jewel of Iberia! :flowers: :sad:

What a lovely post: I echo your sentiments :flowers:

El funeral de la duquesa de Alba en Madrid ser? el 15 diciembre e ir?n los Reyes | loc | EL MUNDO
On 15th of December the funeral of the Duchess of Alba will take place at the Royal Basilica San Francisco el Grande in Madrid. The Madrid tribute to this religious celebration is scheduled to be chaired by the kings of Spain, Felipe and Letizia the or the emeritus kings, Don Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia. At the moment, the Royal House can not confirm who will chair the final farewell to the XVIII Duchess of Alba de Tormes.

Very beautiful comment!

El funeral de la duquesa de Alba en Madrid ser? el 15 diciembre e ir?n los Reyes | loc | EL MUNDO
On 15th of December the funeral of the Duchess of Alba will take place at the Royal Basilica San Francisco el Grande in Madrid. The Madrid tribute to this religious celebration is scheduled to be chaired by the kings of Spain, Felipe and Letizia the or the emeritus kings, Don Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia. At the moment, the Royal House can not confirm who will chair the final farewell to the XVIII Duchess of Alba de Tormes.

This is good to know. Thanks DoM.:)

It will be interesting to see who attends from the Royal Family and the Kings family.

I spotted Don Jaime de Marichalar in attendance at the Memorial Mass.

I spotted Don Jaime de Marichalar in attendance at the Memorial Mass.

Also the Duchess of Calabria and one of her daughters (i believe Cristina).
Also the former wife of the Duke of Huescar who would have now become the Duchess of Alba with one of her sons was pictured. it looks like there was quiet a big turnout from spanish Nobles as this Mass.

Back
Top Bottom