Prince Philippos of Greece and Nina Flohr: Dec 2020 / Oct 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't recall a civil marriage between Nikolaos and Tatiana - but I could be mistaken.

A civil wedding is not required in Greece. Both are legally recognized.

They didn't have to have a civil wedding to marry in Greece. They did have to have a civil wedding to marry in Switzerland. If they had opted to only have one wedding, and married in Greece, a civil wedding would have not been needed. But they wished to have a wedding in both countries.

In Switzerland you don't have to have two weddings. But if you only have one, it has to be civil to be legal. So they chose to have a legal ceremony in Switzerland and will have a religious in Greece later. This way neither wedding is just 'for show'. They are both official ceremonies.

As for your comment earlier to me 'that a wedding with only 2 guests defeats the purpose'???? What is the purpose???

A wedding is not about the number of guests. Its about uniting as one, becoming a couple in the eyes of God. Whether you have 2 guests or 700 guests, the purpose remains the same. I notice when UK was down to 5 guests including bride/groom/minister for a wedding people still thought Beatrice and Edo should get married. That it would be romantic, and so on. And that they could have a reception later. It seems that Nina and Philippos agreed.

They may also be ready to want to have a kid. Some people don't want to start until married. With not knowing when restrictions will be lifted for them to have the big Greek wedding, they chose to have a small civil one now. And will have a wedding when everyone else is there to join in.

Seems special that it was their two dads chosen to witness their union.

This exclusive is from Hello! Greek version, but as it is a franchise of the ¡Hola! from Spain. According to the magazine ¡Hola! On its website, there were about 30 relatives, among them Infanta Cristina and her daughter Irene, in the photo you see on the cover, some people walking towards a plane, I deduce that they are Prince Pavlos, the Princess Marie Chantal, and their children leaving Switzerland on a plane owned by Nina Flohr's father.

Last edited:
Last edited:
This exclusive is from Hello! Greek version, but as it is a franchise of the ¡Hola! from Spain. According to the magazine ¡Hola! On its website, there were about 30 relatives, among them Infanta Cristina and her daughter Irene, in the photo you see on the cover, some people walking towards a plane, I deduce that they are Prince Pavlos, the Princess Marie Chantal, and their children leaving Switzerland on a plane owned by Nina Flohr's father.

Nice to hear that Infanta Cristina and her daughter Doña Irene were there keeping up the family connection.

Civil marriage seems a mystery in this forum . I don't care about the legislation.I think it has a simpler and easier to understand explanation .I think they announced their engagement in September, they wanted to get married and start a family, live together, have their home ... But the pandemic will take time to disappear, their wedding could possibly be celebrated , with all the guarantees, after the summer or in 2022. My opinion They have concluded that they prefer to marry now, civilly, with their closest relatives:p, and in the future when it is feasible, they will have a great wedding in Greece and who knows, by then they could even have a child.;)
I like to know that Infanta Cristina and Irene have been there.

Civil marriage is not a mystery. Most European countries have a legal obligation to have a civil ceremony

Congratulations to Prince Phillipos and Princess Nina!

They will have their reasons for having a civil wedding right now, and I'm very happy for them. But I'm glad that they intend to have the full wedding do later on. I love to see a nice wedding gown and tiara! Surely, Nina will get to wear the antique corsage tiara, like Marie Chantal and Tatiana. Sorry if I missed the announcement, but did they say that the church wedding will be in Greece? Or might that take place in Switzerland as well?

Denville I am not saying it in that sense, I am saying it because they only know how to discuss the reason why the bride and groom have married civilly.
And to put a statistic, in Spain of 10 people 2 marry by the church, the rest by civil.

Last edited:
Wouldn't a Greek Summer religious wedding in 2021 would be wonderful with all the various Spanish and Danish relatives present and something to look forward to.

A civil wedding is not required in Greece. Both are legally recognized.

They didn't have to have a civil wedding to marry in Greece. They did have to have a civil wedding to marry in Switzerland. If they had opted to only have one wedding, and married in Greece, a civil wedding would have not been needed. But they wished to have a wedding in both countries.

In Switzerland you don't have to have two weddings. But if you only have one, it has to be civil to be legal. So they chose to have a legal ceremony in Switzerland and will have a religious in Greece later. This way neither wedding is just 'for show'. They are both official ceremonies.
Thank you! Good to know.

As for your comment earlier to me 'that a wedding with only 2 guests defeats the purpose'???? What is the purpose???

A wedding is not about the number of guests. Its about uniting as one, becoming a couple in the eyes of God. Whether you have 2 guests or 700 guests, the purpose remains the same.
Please look at the context; I would certainly not agree that a marriage with only 2 witness itself is useless. Having only 2 guests when you are having a non-needed civil ceremony (per your explanation above) in a different country is what defeats the purpose of having two ceremonies; because that would normally be to have friends and family on both sides attend at least one of the ceremonies. Of course, the value of a marriage ceremony is not in the number of guests but in the promises the couple makes to each other.

I notice when UK was down to 5 guests including bride/groom/minister for a wedding people still thought Beatrice and Edo should get married. That it would be romantic, and so on. And that they could have a reception later. It seems that Nina and Philippos agreed.
Philippos and Nina went a slightly different route; as Beatrice and Edo had their religious and civil wedding all in one. The reception will not have any official standing. Philippos and Nina have not yet married 'for the church' (not sure whether the Greek Orthodox church considers them truly married without that ceremony; like the Roman Catholic church; and unlike most protestant churches).

They may also be ready to want to have a kid. Some people don't want to start until married. With not knowing when restrictions will be lifted for them to have the big Greek wedding, they chose to have a small civil one now. And will have a wedding when everyone else is there to join in.

Seems special that it was their two dads chosen to witness their union.
That might indeed be the case. And I fully support their choice - as marriage is more important than the wedding imho. Again, my only reservation was towards 'them needing this ceremony' (they didn't) and the importance of having ceremonies in two different countries (not applicable when you can only have 2 guests). They could also have married religiously in Greece without a large ceremony if it was only about getting married - but most likely with few guests as well (not sure what the current rules in Greece are).

Just a thought... If Theodora and Matthew would also decide to get married civilly first; they might have a combined religious ceremony in Greece (would make an interesting change for a wedding) ?

So much for social distancing... Looks like only the actual ceremony was truly small scale. I assume the others were able to watch in a room nearby. The press release stated that they were congratulated right after the ceremony, so that would make sense.

And very few guests from Switzerland it seems. But with Nina's father's company they could easily fly everyone in from their home countries (does Switzerland or any of their home countries have quarantine rules?)

Last edited by a moderator:
So virtually all his family was there in St. Moritz, except CPss Marie Chantal....!

Were Carlos Morales and Matthew Kumar there?
Anybody happened to buy the spanisch HOLA Magazine and scan the photos?

Princess Alexia and Carlos Morales were at the wedding, but Matthew was not at the wedding.
In the wedding was: King Constantine, Queen Anne-Marie, Crown Prince Pavlos, Crown Princess Marie Chantal and their children, Constantine, Olympia, Achileas Oddyseas , Aristidis, Princess Alexia,Carlos Morales, Prince Nikolaos , Princess Tatiana and Princess Theodora. And the Infanta Cristina of Spain and her daughter Irene, Cristina lives in Switzerland

Looks like there was a nice family gathering at St Moritz.

Princess Alexia and Carlos Morales were at the wedding, but Matthew was not at the wedding.
In the wedding was: King Constantine, Queen Anne-Marie, Crown Prince Pavlos, Crown Princess Marie Chantal and their children, Constantine, Olympia, Achileas Oddyseas , Aristidis, Princess Alexia,Carlos Morales, Prince Nikolaos , Princess Tatiana and Princess Theodora. And the Infanta Cristina of Spain and her daughter Irene, Cristina lives in Switzerland

Morales children were not present?

Morales children were not present?

Maybe they had end of term exams this week; in that case it would make a lot of sense to stay home and focus on their homework instead of flying to Switzerland for their uncle's civil wedding (which only the father's could attend) when there is still a larger religious wedding in the making that they can attend.

And/or maybe it has something to do with Covid-restrictions in either Switzerland or Spain.

It's not a requirement to convert to get married in the GOC but it might be a "requirement" to marry into the GRF.

And by requirement I mean "strongly encouraged" as they can't forbid them to do anything and since their titles are purely courtesy Nina not being officially granted one by King Constantine wouldn't really mean much. The King travelling so far in very uncertain times suggests that he is very happy with the wedding anyway.

It will also be interesting to see if Matthew Kumar has converted.

Apparently there is no 'requirement', legal or familial, to any of those coming into the GRH by marriage, to convert to Orthodoxy..
Princess Tatiana, Carlos Morales and Matthew Kumar haven't -only MC has, because she is the CPess, and with the hope (that will remain a hope!) that she becomes queen of Greece someday..
The relations of the family to the Greek Church have been lax, to say the least, -which imo is another indication of their inadequate assimilation to Greek society in the 100+ years of them being there..

Tamta:
This is not correct, Carlos Morales and Princess Tatiana converted to Orthodox Christianity in the Orthodox Cathedral in London, I remember that Carlos was in April 2009 and Markos Nomikos was one of the witnesses, and Princess Tatiana in May 2010.

I believe that orthodox Christian marriage is in the origins of the royal House of Hellenes. Prince William of Denmark was selected as King of Greece by his Christian origins, he descended from emperors of Byzantium. King George, created the Royal House, and was King of the Hellenes. Then, 1863, Greece was Athens and the Peloponnese, the rest of the territory was occupied by Turkey, for this reason, he was King of the Hellenes, the Hellenes were the Christians of the then Greece, and the territories occupied by the Turks, such as Tessalonica, Ioannina, Macedonia, even the Orthodox of Istanbul.
Orthodox Christianity is at the roots of the family, therefore, I think that the Orthodox wedding, private or public, can be the basis for obtaining the title of Princess .

The family's relationship with the Greek Orthodox Church, especially with senior officials, is currently excellent, since the 80's . The annual memorial by king Pavlos and Queen Frederika in the Tatoi cemetery, is presided over by the Archbishop of Athens and all Greece, Ieronnimos, even the Archbishop opened the cathedral of Athens for the 50th anniversary of wedding of King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie 2014, and with the previous Archbishop, Christodoulos, he was a friend of King Constantine,.... but from 1967 to 70s, the senior officials of the Orthodox Church were to the service of power and republic. But it is true, that it was the Archbishop of Athens and all of Greece who in 1981, planned to celebrate the funeral of Queen Federika in the cathedral of athens, this could not be, but a month later, in the Cathedral of Athens a funeral mass was celebrated for the Queen Mother.

Regarding his nationality. Princess Theodora and Prince Philippos are British, because they were born in British territory. They have been always British, of "Greek spirit", to find a word. In all interviews with King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie, when they lived in London, they always said that Theodora and Philippos were "their other family", because their young children had a British passport. They was born in British soil and their parents had this possibility.They decided it(to avoid problems with the Greek government)

And I tell you that Theodora in an interview published in Spain about 2011, she said, that she loved Greece because it was her father's home, but she was proud of her British passport.

Last edited:
Congratulations to the couple!!Hopefully, they had great time together. From the Royal family communiqué, I understand that Nina is not yet a Princess, she will be a Princess when she contracts a religious marriage, is my opinion. Will love seeing their wedding photographs!

Honestly it seems people are reading too much into how she was called into the announcement.

When he married her she was indeed simply Nina Flohr, she was not Princess of Greece. It would have been weird if the communique read Prince Philippos was wed to Princess Nina. That would suggest that she was a princess prior to their marriage ceremony being finalized.

We will have to wait and see until there is some kind of post-wedding announcement about the couple. Or she gets a profile on the royal website.

Philippos looks slimmed down and amazingly handsome.

The blue wedding cake is.....interesting.:unsure:

The blue color is of course after the greek national flag.
Now that they celebrated with friends I guess we won' t see a royal church wedding?

Now that they celebrated with friends I guess we won' t see a royal church wedding?

Is there a slight possibility that a royal church wedding could occur? If Yes, Where would it occur: Greece or England?

Now that they celebrated with friends I guess we won' t see a royal church wedding��

But this was only what looks like a lunch or dinner reception friends was it not?

Why could they not still have a church ceremony to solemnize the marriage?

Last edited:
Is it possible that Nina is agnostic/atheist?

Back
Top Bottom