Prince Philippos of Greece and Nina Flohr: Dec 2020 / Oct 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eya

Imperial Majesty
City
-
Country
Greece
Prince Philippos married Nina Flohr, in a civil ceremony.

The announcement of the Civil Marriage

"The private ceremony of the civil marriage of Prince Philippos with Nina – Nastassja Flohr took place on Saturday, 12 December 2020 at 11:00 a.m. at St. Moritz. Witnesses at the ceremony were King Constantine and Mr. Thomas Flohr, observing all the health instructions of the Swiss state. The immediate family congratulated the newlyweds immediately after the ceremony " "More details about the upcoming religious wedding will be given in due course."

https://i0.wp.com/gr.hellomagazine.....jpg?fit=680,380&quality=100&strip=info&ssl=1
https://i2.wp.com/gr.hellomagazine....g?resize=680,906&quality=100&strip=info&ssl=1
https://i2.wp.com/gr.hellomagazine....g?resize=680,482&quality=100&strip=info&ssl=1

https://gr.hellomagazine.com/royalty/pantreftike/

Congratulations to the couple!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations to the Couple!
How happy they look!

What about the Queen?!

Does Switzerland only allow the two witnesses to be present? Maybe she is also shielding.

So another royal couple decided to just go for it and get married, good for them. Although in their case the religious wedding might have more guests and a party depending on when it is.

I guess the Queen not be able to be there must be having to do with the pandemic which must be very painful for her - but also for the Prince!
I guess when everything is over, there will be a religious ceremony in Greece with everybody joining in.

Congratulations to the couple but also so sad to see King Constantine in a wheelchair.

This is fantastic news. What a lovely couple. Both look very happy. The new Pss Nina of Greece wore a beautiful white suit. I wish them the very best for the future.

Congratulations to the couple.
This civil wedding, as I have read, is a prerequisite to be able to celebrate the religious marriage, because Philippos has a British passport and Nina Flohr Swiss, so the civil marriage is the marriage valid before the corresponding legislation, the religious marriage would be secondary. In conclusion there will be religious marriage later, I do not know when and where, but the legal requirement has already been fulfilled.
From the Royal family communiqué, I understand that Nina is not yet a Princess, she will be a Princess when she contracts a religious marriage, is my opinio or deduction.
On the other hand, I really liked seeing King Constantine, even in a wheelchair, and in Switzerland, thanks Stef who recently told us that King Constantine was in good health although with his movement problems.

Congratulations. I love this couple. it is normal for them to contract a civil marriage . She is Swiss and in Switzerland this is the legal marriage. They will marry in Spetses, by the orthodox rite, but with the pandemic, I think it is difficult to determine when it could be, but also I believe that first it has to be the wedding of princess Theodora.
Beltaneja , I know that King Constantine has many pathologies, which especially affect his mobility, but like I said a week ago, he is very well of the memory, and the proof of it is here. And he has traveled from Athens with Queen Anna Marie and Prince Nikolaos, I believe they have been the only ones who have attended to this event or legal act

This civil wedding, as I have read, is a prerequisite to be able to celebrate the religious marriage, because Philippos has a British passport and Nina Flohr Swiss, so the civil marriage is the marriage valid before the corresponding legislation, the religious marriage would be secondary. In conclusion there will be religious marriage later, I do not know when and where, but the legal requirement has already been fulfilled.
From the Royal family communiqué, I understand that Nina is not yet a Princess, she will be a Princess when she contracts a religious marriage, is my opinio or deduction.
On the other hand, I really liked seeing King Constantine, even in a wheelchair, and in Switzerland, thanks Stef who recently told us that King Constantine was in good health although with his movement problems.

The British don't require a 'civil wedding' before a religious wedding. So, they could have combined it in one ceremony in the UK if they wanted to. Not sure what there options were in Greece. Nikolaos and Tatiana married in Greece without a problem and doesn't Tatiana also have a Swiss passport?

Elegant, low key couple. Congratulations to them....lovely!

Elegant, low key couple. Congratulations to them....lovely!

Congratulations to the happy couple!

The British don't require a 'civil wedding' before a religious wedding. So, they could have combined it in one ceremony in the UK if they wanted to. Not sure what there options were in Greece. Nikolaos and Tatiana married in Greece without a problem and doesn't Tatiana also have a Swiss passport?

Yes but they didn't get married in London or Greece. They were married in Switzerland. And have to follow the rules of the land in which they wed. Which require a civil ceremony for it to be official.

They could have waited to be married later in Greece and just had one ceremony. There is many reasons they may have chosen not to wait.

A lot of couples who are from different countries choose to have two weddings, to celebrate in both their homes. Having a civil wedding and a religious one makes them both 'official'. A civil wedding in her home Switzerland and a religious wedding in his family's country of Greece is likely what they had planned from the start. Just downsized the civil due to covid.

Congratulations to the couple on their happy day :flowers:

She looks quite lovely and elegant in the simple white.

Congratulations to Prince Philippos and Princess Nina!

Will Nina have to convert to Greek Orthodoxy or is that no longer a requirement?

Not sure what faith Nina was brought up in,her father is Swiss and her mother I think is Czech?

congratulations!!

I do not know the British and Swiss legislation on marriage. I have seen the official announcement , and it is said that the religious marriage will be celebrated later, they will inform the press.

I like the religious celebration more, and the orthodox, that rite of the crowns is precious, I hope that soon we can enjoy it.

Regarding the civil marriage, it is not so brilliant, but it has seemed very nice to me. The detail that the only witnesses were King Contantino and Thomas Flohr, is very nice. In the Orthodox wedding with so many guests, the press would have forgotten the parents of the couple, however, in a civil marriage like this, the parents are the protagonists.

King Constantine is a person who, due to his health problems, is at high risk for covid, he has had to pass several controls and tests for covid, to travel to Switzerland, and he has traveled from Greece to attend this event, It is obvious, that he loves his son very much, and for his son Philippos it is obvious that the presence of his father was also very relevant, and the same I say about Nina and Thomas, They are also very close, she is his only daughter . I think this is very nice.

Will Nina have to convert to Greek Orthodoxy or is that no longer a requirement?

Not sure what faith Nina was brought up in,her father is Swiss and her mother I think is Czech?

No. As long as she is a Christian who was baptized in the name of the Trinity (Catholics, Orthodox and most protestants do) she doesn't have to convert. Pentecostals and a few other branches only baptize in the name of Jesus.

https://www.greekboston.com/wedding... Orthodox man or,Church by an Orthodox Priest.

No. As long as she is a Christian who was baptized in the name of the Trinity (Catholics, Orthodox and most protestants do) she doesn't have to convert. Pentecostals and a few other branches only baptize in the name of Jesus.

https://www.greekboston.com/wedding... Orthodox man or,Church by an Orthodox Priest.

True. It's not a requirement to convert to get married in the GOC but it might be a "requirement" to marry into the GRF.

And by requirement I mean "strongly encouraged" as they can't forbid them to do anything and since their titles are purely courtesy Nina not being officially granted one by King Constantine wouldn't really mean much. The King travelling so far in very uncertain times suggests that he is very happy with the wedding anyway.

It will also be interesting to see if Matthew Kumar has converted.

Yes but they didn't get married in London or Greece. They were married in Switzerland. And have to follow the rules of the land in which they wed. Which require a civil ceremony for it to be official.

They could have waited to be married later in Greece and just had one ceremony. There is many reasons they may have chosen not to wait.

A lot of couples who are from different countries choose to have two weddings, to celebrate in both their homes. Having a civil wedding and a religious one makes them both 'official'. A civil wedding in her home Switzerland and a religious wedding in his family's country of Greece is likely what they had planned from the start. Just downsized the civil due to covid.

Congratulations to the couple on their happy day :flowers:

She looks quite lovely and elegant in the simple white.

Someone said that it was required for them to have a civil wedding which is NOT the case since they didn't contract a religious wedding in Switzerland. Only in that case they would have needed this civil marriage. Not, if their religious wedding is in a country that doesn't require a civil marriage.

Wanting to celebrate in both countries of course is completely logical; although a wedding in which only 2 witnesses can attend, somewhat defeats the purpose... So, I wouldn't be surprised if there is another reason that this wedding already took place.

Maybe they just wanted to "get married already" ala some other royal couples and many, many non royal couples these days. But they also wanted to celebrate in Greece and maybe have more people there, hence two weddings.

Best wishes to the couple. I agree that there *may* be another reason for this unexpected ceremony. Perhaps we will know in a few months time. JMHO

I agree, this is a previous act to be able to marry in Greece. I have a friend who married last year in Greece with a woman with a Belgian passport, Catholic, and they married first civilly in belgium, and then in Greece for the Orthodox rite. But I want to remember that Prince Michael's daughter Olga married Aimone of Savoy, Duke of Puglia, and they married civilly at the Russian embassy in Italy, then they married for the Orthodox rite in Greece. I do not know the international legislation on the marriage of persons with ditinct nationality in Greece, but I see that they all marry civilly first.

I agree, this is a previous act to be able to marry in Greece. I have a friend who married last year in Greece with a woman with a Belgian passport, Catholic, and they married first civilly in belgium, and then in Greece for the Orthodox rite. But I want to remember that Prince Michael's daughter Olga married Aimone of Savoy, Duke of Puglia, and they married civilly at the Russian embassy in Italy, then they married for the Orthodox rite in Greece. I do not know the international legislation on the marriage of persons with ditinct nationality in Greece, but I see that they all marry civilly first.

I don't recall a civil marriage between Nikolaos and Tatiana - but I could be mistaken.

In most European countries there is a separation of Church and State. Only the civil ceremony is the legal one. Any subsequent marriage in a church, mosque, synagogue, temple, whatever, is nice but without any legal consequence.

In countries like Spain and the UK the State also accepts a religious marriage as legal, but in by far most European countries only the one in front of a municipal authority is under the rule of law.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom