The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-15-2020, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Will Nina have to convert to Greek Orthodoxy or is that no longer a requirement?

Not sure what faith Nina was brought up in,her father is Swiss and her mother I think is Czech?

Old 12-15-2020, 01:56 PM
Gentry

congratulations!!

I do not know the British and Swiss legislation on marriage. I have seen the official announcement , and it is said that the religious marriage will be celebrated later, they will inform the press.

I like the religious celebration more, and the orthodox, that rite of the crowns is precious, I hope that soon we can enjoy it.

Regarding the civil marriage, it is not so brilliant, but it has seemed very nice to me. The detail that the only witnesses were King Contantino and Thomas Flohr, is very nice. In the Orthodox wedding with so many guests, the press would have forgotten the parents of the couple, however, in a civil marriage like this, the parents are the protagonists.

King Constantine is a person who, due to his health problems, is at high risk for covid, he has had to pass several controls and tests for covid, to travel to Switzerland, and he has traveled from Greece to attend this event, It is obvious, that he loves his son very much, and for his son Philippos it is obvious that the presence of his father was also very relevant, and the same I say about Nina and Thomas, They are also very close, she is his only daughter . I think this is very nice.

Old 12-15-2020, 02:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Will Nina have to convert to Greek Orthodoxy or is that no longer a requirement?

Not sure what faith Nina was brought up in,her father is Swiss and her mother I think is Czech?
No. As long as she is a Christian who was baptized in the name of the Trinity (Catholics, Orthodox and most protestants do) she doesn't have to convert. Pentecostals and a few other branches only baptize in the name of Jesus.

https://www.greekboston.com/wedding/...hodox%20Priest.
Old 12-15-2020, 02:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
No. As long as she is a Christian who was baptized in the name of the Trinity (Catholics, Orthodox and most protestants do) she doesn't have to convert. Pentecostals and a few other branches only baptize in the name of Jesus.

https://www.greekboston.com/wedding/...hodox%20Priest.
True. It's not a requirement to convert to get married in the GOC but it might be a "requirement" to marry into the GRF.

And by requirement I mean "strongly encouraged" as they can't forbid them to do anything and since their titles are purely courtesy Nina not being officially granted one by King Constantine wouldn't really mean much. The King travelling so far in very uncertain times suggests that he is very happy with the wedding anyway.

It will also be interesting to see if Matthew Kumar has converted.
Old 12-15-2020, 03:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Yes but they didn't get married in London or Greece. They were married in Switzerland. And have to follow the rules of the land in which they wed. Which require a civil ceremony for it to be official.

They could have waited to be married later in Greece and just had one ceremony. There is many reasons they may have chosen not to wait.

A lot of couples who are from different countries choose to have two weddings, to celebrate in both their homes. Having a civil wedding and a religious one makes them both 'official'. A civil wedding in her home Switzerland and a religious wedding in his family's country of Greece is likely what they had planned from the start. Just downsized the civil due to covid.

Congratulations to the couple on their happy day

She looks quite lovely and elegant in the simple white.
Someone said that it was required for them to have a civil wedding which is NOT the case since they didn't contract a religious wedding in Switzerland. Only in that case they would have needed this civil marriage. Not, if their religious wedding is in a country that doesn't require a civil marriage.

Wanting to celebrate in both countries of course is completely logical; although a wedding in which only 2 witnesses can attend, somewhat defeats the purpose... So, I wouldn't be surprised if there is another reason that this wedding already took place.
Old 12-15-2020, 04:42 PM
Courtier

Maybe they just wanted to "get married already" ala some other royal couples and many, many non royal couples these days. But they also wanted to celebrate in Greece and maybe have more people there, hence two weddings.
Old 12-15-2020, 06:29 PM
Royal Highness

Best wishes to the couple. I agree that there *may* be another reason for this unexpected ceremony. Perhaps we will know in a few months time. JMHO
Old 12-15-2020, 07:28 PM
Nobility

I agree, this is a previous act to be able to marry in Greece. I have a friend who married last year in Greece with a woman with a Belgian passport, Catholic, and they married first civilly in belgium, and then in Greece for the Orthodox rite. But I want to remember that Prince Michael's daughter Olga married Aimone of Savoy, Duke of Puglia, and they married civilly at the Russian embassy in Italy, then they married for the Orthodox rite in Greece. I do not know the international legislation on the marriage of persons with ditinct nationality in Greece, but I see that they all marry civilly first.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRIS1983 View Post
I agree, this is a previous act to be able to marry in Greece. I have a friend who married last year in Greece with a woman with a Belgian passport, Catholic, and they married first civilly in belgium, and then in Greece for the Orthodox rite. But I want to remember that Prince Michael's daughter Olga married Aimone of Savoy, Duke of Puglia, and they married civilly at the Russian embassy in Italy, then they married for the Orthodox rite in Greece. I do not know the international legislation on the marriage of persons with ditinct nationality in Greece, but I see that they all marry civilly first.
I don't recall a civil marriage between Nikolaos and Tatiana - but I could be mistaken.
Old 12-16-2020, 12:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELTRANEJA View Post
Congratulations to the couple.
This civil wedding, as I have read, is a prerequisite to be able to celebrate the religious marriage, because Philippos has a British passport and Nina Flohr Swiss, so the civil marriage is the marriage valid before the corresponding legislation, the religious marriage would be secondary. In conclusion there will be religious marriage later, I do not know when and where, but the legal requirement has already been fulfilled.
From the Royal family communiqué, I understand that Nina is not yet a Princess, she will be a Princess when she contracts a religious marriage, is my opinio or deduction.
On the other hand, I really liked seeing King Constantine, even in a wheelchair, and in Switzerland, thanks Stef who recently told us that King Constantine was in good health although with his movement problems.
In most European countries there is a separation of Church and State. Only the civil ceremony is the legal one. Any subsequent marriage in a church, mosque, synagogue, temple, whatever, is nice but without any legal consequence.

In countries like Spain and the UK the State also accepts a religious marriage as legal, but in by far most European countries only the one in front of a municipal authority is under the rule of law.
Old 12-16-2020, 02:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I don't recall a civil marriage between Nikolaos and Tatiana - but I could be mistaken.
A civil wedding is not required in Greece. Both are legally recognized.

They didn't have to have a civil wedding to marry in Greece. They did have to have a civil wedding to marry in Switzerland. If they had opted to only have one wedding, and married in Greece, a civil wedding would have not been needed. But they wished to have a wedding in both countries.

In Switzerland you don't have to have two weddings. But if you only have one, it has to be civil to be legal. So they chose to have a legal ceremony in Switzerland and will have a religious in Greece later. This way neither wedding is just 'for show'. They are both official ceremonies.

As for your comment earlier to me 'that a wedding with only 2 guests defeats the purpose'???? What is the purpose???

A wedding is not about the number of guests. Its about uniting as one, becoming a couple in the eyes of God. Whether you have 2 guests or 700 guests, the purpose remains the same. I notice when UK was down to 5 guests including bride/groom/minister for a wedding people still thought Beatrice and Edo should get married. That it would be romantic, and so on. And that they could have a reception later. It seems that Nina and Philippos agreed.

They may also be ready to want to have a kid. Some people don't want to start until married. With not knowing when restrictions will be lifted for them to have the big Greek wedding, they chose to have a small civil one now. And will have a wedding when everyone else is there to join in.

Seems special that it was their two dads chosen to witness their union.
Old 12-16-2020, 02:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

According to Hola España, the wedding was held at the Badrutt’s Palace hotel. Infanta Cristina and her daughter Irene who live in Geneva attended the celebration.

https://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_es...nvitadas-boda/
Old 12-16-2020, 06:27 AM
Nobility

This exclusive is from Hello! Greek version, but as it is a franchise of the ¡Hola! from Spain. According to the magazine ¡Hola! On its website, there were about 30 relatives, among them Infanta Cristina and her daughter Irene, in the photo you see on the cover, some people walking towards a plane, I deduce that they are Prince Pavlos, the Princess Marie Chantal, and their children leaving Switzerland on a plane owned by Nina Flohr's father.
Old 12-16-2020, 06:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Pictures from the Greek Hello magazine

https://scontent.fath3-3.fna.fbcdn.n...7b&oe=60010BAA
https://scontent.fath3-4.fna.fbcdn.n...cf&oe=5FFFAAE2
https://scontent.fath3-3.fna.fbcdn.n...c9&oe=60004B92
https://scontent.fath3-4.fna.fbcdn.n...9e&oe=60012E9C
https://scontent.fath3-3.fna.fbcdn.n...e5&oe=60010968

35 guests, at the Salon Raffaello of the Palace Hotel, which hosted for three days all the guests of the couple.
Mostly the close family of both and some very close friends
The guests departure in private jets on Sunday
Old 12-16-2020, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRIS1983 View Post
This exclusive is from Hello! Greek version, but as it is a franchise of the ¡Hola! from Spain. According to the magazine ¡Hola! On its website, there were about 30 relatives, among them Infanta Cristina and her daughter Irene, in the photo you see on the cover, some people walking towards a plane, I deduce that they are Prince Pavlos, the Princess Marie Chantal, and their children leaving Switzerland on a plane owned by Nina Flohr's father.
Nice to hear that Infanta Cristina and her daughter Doña Irene were there keeping up the family connection.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:14 AM
Gentry

Civil marriage seems a mystery in this forum . I don't care about the legislation.I think it has a simpler and easier to understand explanation .I think they announced their engagement in September, they wanted to get married and start a family, live together, have their home ... But the pandemic will take time to disappear, their wedding could possibly be celebrated , with all the guarantees, after the summer or in 2022. My opinion They have concluded that they prefer to marry now, civilly, with their closest relatives, and in the future when it is feasible, they will have a great wedding in Greece and who knows, by then they could even have a child.
I like to know that Infanta Cristina and Irene have been there.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:49 AM
Majesty

Civil marriage is not a mystery. Most European countries have a legal obligation to have a civil ceremony
Old 12-16-2020, 12:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Congratulations to Prince Phillipos and Princess Nina!
Old 12-16-2020, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

They will have their reasons for having a civil wedding right now, and I'm very happy for them. But I'm glad that they intend to have the full wedding do later on. I love to see a nice wedding gown and tiara! Surely, Nina will get to wear the antique corsage tiara, like Marie Chantal and Tatiana. Sorry if I missed the announcement, but did they say that the church wedding will be in Greece? Or might that take place in Switzerland as well?
Old 12-16-2020, 02:02 PM
Gentry

Denville I am not saying it in that sense, I am saying it because they only know how to discuss the reason why the bride and groom have married civilly.
And to put a statistic, in Spain of 10 people 2 marry by the church, the rest by civil.