Wedding of Eleonore of Habsburg and Jerome d'Ambrosio: July 20, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany
Today, July 20, Eleonore of Habsburg married Jerome d'Ambrosio during a ceremony in Monaco.

"Eleonore (Jelena Maria del Pilar Christina Iona) von Habsburg and Jerome d'Ambrosio have made a commitment to each other in marriage today at the registry office in Monaco. The celebration happened in a strictly intimate circle of family and friends. The wedding between Eleonore, born 28th February 1994 in Salzburg as daughter of Karl von Habsburg and Francesca Thyssen-Bornemisza, and Jerome d'Ambrosio, born 27th December 1985 in Etterbeck (Belgium), was planned quite differently. Covid-19 and related legal restrictions have made it impossible to have a formal wedding as had been planned for this year. The church wedding in a bigger circle will be celebrated as soon as the pandemic restrictions get lifted. As witnesses to the marriage the respective sisters were acting. For Eleonore von Habsburg her sister Gloria, for Jérôme d'Ambrosio his sister Olivia. The civil wedding was attended by the closest family members. After the wedding a slightly bigger circle of friends was meeting for lunch, of course respecting all rules of social distancing. Eleonore, a professional jewelry designer, and Jerome, a Formula E race car driver, met on a plane, three years ago, flying from London to Nice."

** gettyimages gallery **

I appreciate that it's only a registry office but the bride and I presume mother of the brides outfits are hideous in my opinion.

I wonder if they will have a church blessing too?

IIRC, the groom is a divorced catholic, but maybe I am mistaken, as iceflower's quote above states that they are planning to have a church ceremony and big festivities once the corona situation is over. That would be something to look forward to. I assume that the bride then will wear the family's pearl and diamond bandeau.
Is it known why they chose Monaco as the location of their civil wedding?

Is it known why they chose Monaco as the location of their civil wedding?

Yes I was wondering about the location being in Monaco,are they residing threre?

Yes I was wondering about the location being in Monaco,are they residing threre?

It says they met on a plane flying from London to Nice so maybe one or both live(d) there? Maybe something to do with his career as a Formula E diver?

I can't think why they'd specifically go there to get married in a registry office at the moment if they don't live there or have family there.

In photographs the bride looked really pretty and I presume the groom lives in Monaco. A lot of sports people live there for tax reasons: they make their lifetime money in a short time.

Odd indeed, she born in Switzerland and he born in Belgium.

Jerome D’Ambrosio was previously married to Natalie Sifferman,the Wedding took place at St. Nicholas church in La Hulpe, Belgium in June 2014.Perhaps he will seek an annulment?

Jerome D’Ambrosio was previously married to Natalie Sifferman,the Wedding took place at St. Nicholas church in La Hulpe, Belgium in June 2014.Perhaps he will seek an annulment?

Probably his first marriage was already annulled as a religious Wedding was planned and will take place when the Corona restrictions are lifted.

The Habsburg are very Catholic so that wouldn't surprise me at all.

The mother of the bride's outfit leaves me speechless....

I still don't understand the whole annulment principle. What could be the reason to require an annulment in this case?!

I still don't understand the whole annulment principle. What could be the reason to require an annulment in this case?!
Without an annulment the groom is still married to his first wife in the eyes of the Roman Catholic Church. The Church does not recognize the civil divorce.

Without an annulment the groom is still married to his first wife in the eyes of the Roman Catholic Church. The Church does not recognize the civil divorce.

That I know - in that case the consistent thing would be not to allow a second marriage (sacrament); as it would be impossible to marry someone that is still married. However, the 'solution' of an annulment requires the assumption that the marriage should never have taken place i.e. technically never took place (as it requires some kind of reason why that marriage was invalid from the start). I don't see what valid reason this groom would have to claim that.

Options are:
- Defect of form (invalid marriage ceremony: unlikely to be the case)
- Defect of contract (no intention to be married for life: given that they divorced rather quickly, they could probably argue so - but was that truly the case from the start? And if so, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of marriage...)
- Defect of will (some kind of error: unlikely imho)
- Defect of capacity (not allowed to marry: unlikely as well)

In general, I wonder what the most common ground is for annulment as it seems quite a few royals have been able to 'get' an annulment.

That I know - in that case the consistent thing would be not to allow a second marriage (sacrament); as it would be impossible to marry someone that is still married. However, the 'solution' of an annulment requires the assumption that the marriage should never have taken place i.e. technically never took place (as it requires some kind of reason why that marriage was invalid from the start). I don't see what valid reason this groom would have to claim that.

Options are:
- Defect of contract (no intention to be married for life: given that they divorced rather quickly, they could probably argue so - but was that truly the case from the start? And if so, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of marriage...)

In general, I wonder what the most common ground is for annulment as it seems quite a few royals have been able to 'get' an annulment.
Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I agree, I'm curious to know what the grounds for the annulment would be.

:previous: Since they are private and his marriage/divorce is unknown, we have no idea what issues may have caused them to break up. And no reason to know or want to know what grounds the annulment were made on.

Congratulations to the couple on their marriage :flowers:

This is when having to have a civil and religious wedding works out. They can actually have two weddings. In other places you'd have to do a vow renewal, but they just have their religious wedding down the line when it is safe. They aren't the first people to have quite a bit of time between the religious and civil weddings even pre-pandemic.

Nice they had their parents and some close friends to share the big day :flowers:

I assume Monaco is a link because of his driving career.

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I agree, I'm curious to know what the grounds for the annulment would be.

Just like in many other similar cases, I'd also be curious to know on what grounds the previous marriage was declared null and void. But I believe we will never know it, as it is a very private matter (in this case also involving private persons).

BTW, congratulations to the happy couple!

Congratulations to the couple!

Congratulations to Eleonore and Jerome! :flowers: It looked like a nice occasion despite the circumstances.

Quite an original match for a Habsburg, esp. for one of this standing. Of course they have been together for some time and they look very happy in the wedding photos (as they do in all none-wedding photos we have seen over the last years). I am looking forward to their religious wedding, once the Corona situation allows it. I guess it will be in Mariazell but who knows... Monaco was also not a predictable choice.

The caption of Getty refers to Francesca Thyssen-Bornemisza and not to Francesca Habsburg. I think this has been going on for some years now.

None of the outfits are to my taste, but Eleonora looks very happy in her dress & would look good in a paper bag and Francesca does what she does and as always looks like the life of the party.

Judging from Eleonora's instagram page they have hired Luc Castel for the photos. I believe he often delivers photographs to Point de Vue magazine.

Last edited:
Yes looking forward to the Religious Wedding as I'm hoping the dress code will be a vast improvement on the Civil ceremony in Monaco.

Francesca does what she does and as always looks like the life of the party.

Judging from Eleonora's instagram page they have hired Luc Castel for the photos. I believe he often delivers photographs to Point de Vue magazine.

I can assure you: She IS the life of every party :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Options are:

AFAIK there are two more reasons for an anulment that are accepted. One is one of the couple did not plkan to stay married for life and the other is that one did not plan to have children or did not plan to raise them Catholic. Nowadays, if they can find the right bishop, the last one is easy if the couple has had no children.

A friend of mine was divorced but the church wanted her to go on working for them, so the bishop "ordered" her to declare the stuff about the children...

One is one of the couple did not plkan to stay married for life
Isn't that a rather strange reason given that everyone knows that the Catholic Church considers marriages being for life? Sounds like buying a car and returning it for having wheels.

AFAIK there are two more reasons for an anulment that are accepted. One is one of the couple did not plkan to stay married for life and the other is that one did not plan to have children or did not plan to raise them Catholic. Nowadays, if they can find the right bishop, the last one is easy if the couple has had no children.

A friend of mine was divorced but the church wanted her to go on working for them, so the bishop "ordered" her to declare the stuff about the children...

Both are part of the 'Defect of contract' - the second one on the list. However, this example shows how annulment can be 'arranged' - and lying about your motives is approved and sometimes even encouraged by some bishops just to obtain the desired result.

This is my main problem with the whole annulment system; while annulment makes sense in cases where the groom or bride truly had no input in getting married (forced marriages); in most other cases it is a divorce but the church finds away around it to call it something different so they can uphold the idea that they are against divorce and remarriage while still allowing it to happen. Rather hypocritical.

Last edited:
This is my main problem with the whole annulment system; while annulment makes sense in cases where the groom or bride truly had no input in getting married (forced marriages); in most other cases it is a divorce but the church finds away around it to call it something different so they can uphold the idea that they are against divorce and remarriage while still allowing it to happen. Rather hypocritical.

My Problem with the annulment system is that it is needed at all. Why no simply accept a civil divorice like the other Churches (at last here in Germany do) do it.

Back
Top Bottom