Princess Marie zu Wied & Duke Friedrich von Württemberg 1993

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cathérine Bergeyck

Heir Presumptive
In 1993, Duke Friedrich von Württemberg (eldest son of duke Carl von Württemberg and princess Diane d'Orléans), got engaged to princess Marie zu Wied.
Friedrich (°1961) and Marie (°1973)

Here are some of the official engagement pictures, from Corbis and SeegerPress.
The photos were taken at the castle of Altshausen, in Germany, home of the Württemberg family.

Last edited by a moderator:
The strapless white and red dress Marie is wearing is absolutely beautiful. What a beautiful choice for official engagement pictures.

A few of the guests at this beautiful wedding. From Corbis:

1. Archduchess Regina von Hapsburg, and her son Georg;
2. Princess Chantal d'Orléans and her husband baron François-Xavier de Sambuçy de Sorgue (Friedrich's aunt and uncle);
3. Princess Isabelle of Liechtenstein;
4. Archduke Georg of Austria, with Archduke Carl Christian of austria and his wife Marie-Astrid, née princess of Luxemburg;
5. Count Thierry de Limburg Stirum, and his wife countess Katia della Faille de Leverghem.

nice pics!

what training her wedding im not sure! maybe over 25 feet or what ? tell me

Sara Boyce

On the cover of Point de Vue

Attachments

• Marie.jpg
    Marie.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 4,900
Photos from Corbis:

1-2. the groom and his mother, Duchess Diane
3. Princess Elena of Spain with prince Henri of Luxemburg

A Very Royal Wedding

Josefine said:
quite a few Royal guests
In effect the Crown Prince (or more correctly Hereditary Duke) of the Royal House of Wurttemberg was marrying a Princess, so the Gotha came to pay its respects.

Here's again the photos from Corbis, since the links didn't work anymore:

Which family is higher, the Zu Wied or the Württemberg?
In the social and royal order I mean
Thanks in advance.

BTW: don't you realize an intent to match Elena and Laurent in the early 90's? they were always sent to the same weddings, christenings, etc:rolleyes:

Isnt the Zu Weid family the Princely German family that was chosen as Soverign Prince of the Principality of Albania after it won independance from the Ottoman Empire. They were only the princely familly for about two years I think before WWI forced them out.

I like her wedding dress. Not one of my favorites but is reminsient of Princess Margaret of Snowdown and the Duchess of Brabants wedding dress. Even after 13 years, the red and white engagment dress is still beautiful.

Princejohnny25 said:
Isnt the Zu Weid family the Princely German family that was chosen as Soverign Prince of the Principality of Albania after it won independance from the Ottoman Empire. They were only the princely familly for about two years I think before WWI forced them out.
Yes, you're right. William zu Wied reigned for less than a year (8 months to be more precise), but after the war, in 1924, Albania was declared a republic.

Thanks for clarifying elsa. I new Zu Weid sounded so familiar. Nice to see they are still around.

crisiñaki said:
Which family is higher, the zu Wied or the Württemberg?
In the social and royal order I mean
The Württembergs were Kings, thus they are a Royal House (HRH). The Wieds, apart from their Albanian adventure in 1914, are a Mediatised Princely Family (HSH).

More photos of the guests, by Corbis:

Last edited:
Cathérine Bergeyck said:
In 1993, Duke Friedrich von Württemberg (eldest son of duke Carl von Württemberg and princess Diane d'Orléans), got engaged to princess Marie zu Wied.
Friedrich (°1961) and Marie (°1973)

Here are some of the official engagement pictures, from Corbis

The first to pictures are from the civil marriage which took place 2 days before the religios.

This one is from SeegerPress
(not sure if it's from the engagement or the night before the wedding...)

Elsa M. said:
This one is from SeegerPress [post #21]
(not sure if it's from the engagement or the night before the wedding...)
This from one of the Events before the wedding but not the Evening before. The Evening before the wedding was the Soiree, where they all wore Tiaras and Orders, at Altshausen. The photo above was made at Friedrichshafen.

Princejohnny25 said:
I like her wedding dress. Not one of my favorites but is reminsient of Princess Margaret of Snowdown and the Duchess of Brabants wedding dress. Even after 13 years, the red and white engagment dress is still beautiful.

The red and white dress makes her stand out on those pictures. Very contrasting to everything and everyone else around. Your eyes just focus on her as the center of the picture because of that dress. They also look great as a couple.

The fact I find interesting about this marriage (please forgive me if it has been mentioned before) is that it united two branches of the Württemberg family - the last reigning branch and its successor.

Princess Marie's great-grandmother was Pauline zu Wied, the sole surviving child of Wilhelm II, the last King of Württemberg. Three of Pauline's first cousins (on her mother's side) were Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands, Princess Alice Countess of Athlone and Duke Carl Eduard of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.

This is what I find fascinating about royal genealogy - tracing family lines is like working on a jigsaw puzzle.

Last edited:
David_B said:
The fact I find interesting about this marriage (please forgive me if it has been mentioned before) is that it united two branches of the Württemberg family - the last reigning branch and its successor.
Welcome to the Forums David_B, and no, this relationship between the two branches hasn't been mentioned before.
Any insights and knowledge you share will be most appreciated. :)

I do like the red & white dress. Its very classy.
How many children do they have now?

Lady Jennifer said:
How many children do they have now?
Three children:

• Duke Wilhelm Friedrich Karl, b1994
• Duchess Marie-Amelie, b 1996
• Duchess Sophie-Dorothea, b 1997

Back
Top Bottom