Prince Philippos of Greece and Nina Flohr: Dec 2020 / Oct 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The guests we've seen photos of and I guess he's the younger son of the former Greek king.

Spain : Queen Sofia and The Infanta Elena
UK : Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie with husbands
Monaco : Andrea Casiraghi and Tatiana Santo Domingo
Denmark :princess Benedikte with her daughter Princess Alexandra of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg and her husband Count Michael of Ahlefeldt-Laurvig-Bille
Bulgaria : Kyril, Prince of Preslav
German Princely Houses : Prince Ernst August ,Princess Ekaterina ,Prince Christian,Princess Alessandra.
Greek Royal Family
Princess Tatiana Radziwiłł and Jean Henri Fruchaud
The Duke and Duchess of Aosta
Did not see Duc and Duchess of Aosta in the church. Just in the reception after.

Sent from my SM-A426B using The Royals Community mobile app

I agree that the number of royals, including the groom's aunt and several of his cousins (only Elena and Alexandra attended it seems), attending was very low. I would think that the Dutch royal family spent the week in Greece, so could have easily attended. Not sure, whether they were invited though as Covid might also have led to a reduced number of invites (next to those receiving an invitation but declining) - and it seems they preferred their (royal and other) friends over more high-profile royals that they don't know that well.

The Dutch royals were/are not spending their autumn break in Greece this time, I think, as they have been publicly active last week and have activities scheduled this week.

Last edited:
Bad form not to see the Crown Prince and family at the Post wedding lunch in Athens the amount of time they actually spend in Greece is so minimal.

Back to the King , it is sad He was not sitting well for the only Official Picture.

I saw the Video of him coming out of the car for the Lunch. He is lucky to have a well organised Staff !

Sunday lunch photos

INVITADOS A LA BODA DE PHILIPPO DE GRECIA ASISTEN AL ALMUERZO ORGANIZADO EN EL CLUB NAUTICO DE ATENAS - Todos - ..:GTRESONLINE:..

I cannot understand that Pavlos and his family did not attend lunch. The family travels the world constantly for vacations, parties, and fashion shows, and it doesn't seem like work or school schedules are a problem. In addition, three of his children are adults to travel alone ... and none seem to have attended lunch.

Or they did attend but were not seen by the media ?

Or they did attend but were not seen by the media ?

Taking into account that there was press at the door of the hotels and at the door of the nautical club, and that they have photographed the rest of the guests, including less well-known people, and it is not exactly a family that does not like media attention... it seems quite unlikely. :whistling:

Taking into account that there was press at the door of the hotels and at the door of the nautical club, and that they have photographed the rest of the guests, including less well-known people, and it is not exactly a family that does not like media attention... it seems quite unlikely. :whistling:

Very fair point. Most of the guests you would expect to see were seen arriving.

Prince Philippos and Thomas Flohr spoke to the press after the lunch on Sunday

Prince Phlippos:

"Everything was wonderful. Perfect. We are very happy, thank you very much," he said. When asked when they will return to Greece, Filippos replied: "We want to stay here for a while. We will stay here somehow".

He revealed that Nina loves Greece. "Greece has many things and we are looking for everything and we will be here all the time, every year," he said

https://www.thetoc.gr/people-style/...osi-on-camera-meta-ton-gamo-me-tin-nina-flor/

I wonder why is not in atendance of the wediing anyone from the Danish Royal family, Not The Queen, nor the Crown Prince not his brother! wow

I wonder why is not in atendance of the wediing anyone from the Danish Royal family, Not The Queen, nor the Crown Prince not his brother! wow

The Danish Royal Family was represented by Princess Benedikte, her daughter Princess Alexandra and Alexandra's husband Count Michael

The Crown Prince (along with the Crown Princess) I could guess were on a pre-planned holiday given their kids were on autumn holiday from school, Christian was also home from boarding school for a week and it was his 16th birthday. Completely understandable that they would want to have a family getaway.

As for the absence of QMII, no idea. Her calendar had no engagements for the days of the wedding. So, who knows why she wasn't there. And it was not due to any restrictions as it was stated somewhere that in September she had spent a week in Greece visiting her sister.

Is there a list of the bridesmaids/pages/attendants anywhere?

The Queen is over 80 and won´t be travelling abroad if it is not absolutely vital to do so (I guess foreign trips will be largely done by the CP and CPcess in the future) - P Philippos`wedding (Phillippos is the youngest son of her sister Queen Anne Marie, so no Crown Prince or future head of the Dynasty etc) is a purely private affaire and I guess the old Queen of Denmark will not see her young nephew that often, so their relationship might be not THAT close comparing to his older siblings, who spent a lot of time in Denmark in the 1970s. CP Frederik by age is rather a peer of Philippos´3 elder siblings so he also might have not that close bond to Ph. he has to Alexia and Paul..? . Pcss Benedikte, beside being his aunt, went also because she is the young greek Prince´s godmother.
From a royal standard Philippos is not as "important" as his oldest brother is, for instance. That dos NOT mean, of course, Philippos is less loved or something. But he is the youngest son and fifth child of a deposed monarch - so there are other standards counting for him comparing to Pavlos or Nikolaos. Ironically he had the grandest and most prestigeous wedding location of all of them - the Metropolis Cathedral in Athens - a bit like a "greek Westminster Abbey" where, during the monarchy, all important royal events, weddings, christenings, services of remembrance, royal funeral services and services of the national day, took place!
I´m not buying that "autumn holidays and son becoming 16" reason not to turn up. I´m pretty sure if Philippos was a CP or had the position Pavlos has, Frederik and Mary (as well as other high ranking royal people from other royal families) surely would have come to Greece, still!

I guess it might be strange to "mortal ones such as you and I" - but I realise that things in royal standards are done a bit different: Often it seems it´s not so much about the relationship you have to a person, but rather the rank a person has, or how "important" he or she might be dynastically. Remember that Royalty from all over the world travelled to London when Paul/ Pavlos and Alexia got married in London. Or the british Queen going to the christening of the Cambridge children, but didn´t go to Archie Mountbattens christening. I guess the list could be added furthermore...

Last edited:
I wonder whether Covid still plays into this. Except for Pavlos as the heir to the throne, there is no reason why Nikolaos' (only 1 step up in the line of succession) or Alexia's (one step below on the line of succession) weddings had so much better attendance from a 'royal' point of view. Personal relationships do matter - the guest list contained many royals of his age group and not of his brothers' and sister's age group; and for Alexia London as location surely also helped. And late August in Greece isn't the worst time and location for a nice wedding-holiday either :) (that definitely was to Nikolaos' advantage).

If Theodora ever gets married (Matthew didn't attend!), I expect an even smaller royal guest list as I don't have the impression she is very much into European royalty in their 30s that made up most of the non-family noble guests.

Something that was speculated on another forum was that major royalty turning up to the deposed royal wedding in Athens might potentially offend or at least irritate the Greek government.

And given that Philippos's wedding was relatively minor and private, maybe the Greek government was the bigger factor here?

Something that was speculated on another forum was that major royalty turning up to the deposed royal wedding in Athens might potentially offend or at least irritate the Greek government.

And given that Philippos's wedding was relatively minor and private, maybe the Greek government was the bigger factor here?

Why would it? I never heard such a thing 11 years ago when Nikolaos had his massive Greek royal wedding. And politicians objecting to royals attending the wedding of their (first) cousin or nephew surely wouldn't want anyone else to decide which family members could attend their wedding or other important life events.

Last edited:
Because Nikolaos had his massive Greek wedding at the beach, not in the Athens cathedral where all other royal ceremonies have been held. I'm not saying that if Philippos had decided to get married at Porto Cheli, more people would have attended, but at least the diplomatic guests wouldn't have had to consider whether it would look as though they were lending legitimacy to a bunch of people the current Greek government won't even issue passports to.

If Philippos and Nina had decided to get married somewhere else in Europe, it would have been interesting to see if that changed the RSVPs.

And why would Philippos' wedding in the Cathedral of Athens bother the government?
But that may explain why Queen Margrethe II, Prince Frederik, Princess Mary, Prince Joachim and Princess Marie were not there....
But even so, the Royal Family has every right to be in Greece, to hold their weddings wherever they want and to invite whoever they want.

Prince Philippos and Nina's wedding on the covers of magazines.
https://c4.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/G1817d7a7/22184244_rEPpq.jpeg

https://c9.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/Bfa188289/22184144_6ElK2.jpeg

https://blogger.googleusercontent.c...MD35lCrac2mciqFWPkq_PiUXqt4B8vbVUmJvxQ=s16000

Last edited:
But even so, the Royal Family has every right to be in Greece, to hold their weddings wherever they want and to invite whoever they want.

Sure they do. As private citizens (although not private Greek citizens :whistling:).

Borrowing the Athens cathedral where all the royal ceremonies happened is less "purely private citizens" and a bit more like "pretending you weren't thrown out" for the day.

And while the government couldn't be bothered to pay attention (although there was almost no coverage of the wedding in Greece), the working royals with diplomatic status have to consider if attending this will look like it lends support by contradicting current Greek policy. It's the same thing that happened with the Romanov wedding. Outside Russia, more people would have come. Inside Russia, it became a diplomatic issue (even though Putin was seemingly fine with it there).

Diplomacy is the opposite of the personal.

I can 100% see this possibly being an issue and a reason for senior royals - sovereigns and heirs - to stay away. They may not have wanted to attend in the first place - we'll never know - but we also don't know what diplomacy goes on behind the scenes. Remember in 2012 Spain's Queen Sofia had to cancel her attendance at the Diamond Jubilee lunch for Elizabeth II at the request of the then Spanish government who said it was "hardly appropriate" given the "dispute" over Gibraltar. Then the point was to make a public splash about it, but it does make me wonder if quietly, behind the scenes, it wasn't made clear that a private family wedding in the cathedral was okay - but lots of sovereigns flying in for a quasi-official 'we are still royal' type of wedding would have caused a row.

There were no (present, former, future) royal heads of state attending (apart from the Greek royal family themselves).

The closest to this category was Doña Sofía but of course she and her sister Irene are aunts of the groom. This seems to indicate (like at the Russian wedding) that the Royal Houses wanted to avoid a Greek royal wedding in Greece itself, like they avoided a Russian imperial wedding in Russia itself.

Georg Prinz von Preußen / Georgy Mikhailovitch Romanov could have had a wedding in Potsdam, for an example, one of the ancestral domains of his paternal royal family (Prussia). I am sure that then the royal turn-out would be bigger than in Saint-Petersburg. At the same time the headlines in the former Russian homeland would be minimal, I guess. Same counts for the Greeks. This wedding in Athens was remarkable, exactly because it was right in the middle of Athens indeed. A lesser royal turnout but a bigger media attention in the own former homeland.

Last edited:
An important factor to consider is that the royal wedding of Prince Philippos and Nina was able to take place. They had their families and some relatives with them. Philippos and Nina looked joyful from the photographs that were taken. Are not the bride and groom suppose to be happy on their wedding day?

An important factor to consider is that the royal wedding of Prince Philippos and Nina was able to take place. They had their families and some relatives with them. Philippos and Nina looked joyful from the photographs that were taken. Are not the bride and groom suppose to be happy on their wedding day?

Absolutely, it was a wonderful wedding in all accounts.

Or the british Queen going to the christening of the Cambridge children, but didn´t go to Archie Mountbattens christening.

The Queen attended the christenings of George and Charlotte Cambridge, but missed the christenings of Louis Cambridge and Archie Sussex. I do not think she attended the christenings of many of Anne's grandchildren other than that of Savannah, who was the first great grandchild.

My understanding is that Archie's christening was scheduled for a day that HM had a prior private engagement. Rather than schedule to fit in with the diary of HM, his parents wanted the christening that very weekend (4 July weekend) to accommodate the American God parents.

Cover Point de Vue of this Week Vera Arrivabena's Wedding. I suppose the Greek Wedding is for next Week.

I wrote them that I was angry to have Harry and Meghan as cover instead of Maria Astrid of Liechtenstein and the Duke of Noto's Weddings
The Week after the Cover of Kate and William instead of Grand Duke Georgy 's Wedding

The Queen attended the christenings of George and Charlotte Cambridge, but missed the christenings of Louis Cambridge and Archie Sussex. I do not think she attended the christenings of many of Anne's grandchildren other than that of Savannah, who was the first great grandchild.
That´s what I meant with my post!

There were no (present, former, future) royal heads of state attending (apart from the Greek royal family themselves).

The closest to this category was Doña Sofía but of course she and her sister Irene are aunts of the groom. This seems to indicate (like at the Russian wedding) that the Royal Houses wanted to avoid a Greek royal wedding in Greece itself, like they avoided a Russian imperial wedding in Russia itself.
Well, when Prince Nikolaos married back in 2010 on greek soil, the Queen of Denmark attended, as well as the heirs from Norway, Sweden, Denmark, the Netherlands and Spain. But it was of course not in the capital city, though.

Back
Top Bottom