The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-26-2021, 08:54 PM
Majesty

And why would Philippos' wedding in the Cathedral of Athens bother the government?
But that may explain why Queen Margrethe II, Prince Frederik, Princess Mary, Prince Joachim and Princess Marie were not there....
But even so, the Royal Family has every right to be in Greece, to hold their weddings wherever they want and to invite whoever they want.

Prince Philippos and Nina's wedding on the covers of magazines.
https://c4.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/...244_rEPpq.jpeg

https://c9.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/...144_6ElK2.jpeg

https://blogger.googleusercontent.co...VUmJvxQ=s16000

Old 10-26-2021, 09:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
But even so, the Royal Family has every right to be in Greece, to hold their weddings wherever they want and to invite whoever they want.
Sure they do. As private citizens (although not private Greek citizens ).

Borrowing the Athens cathedral where all the royal ceremonies happened is less "purely private citizens" and a bit more like "pretending you weren't thrown out" for the day.

And while the government couldn't be bothered to pay attention (although there was almost no coverage of the wedding in Greece), the working royals with diplomatic status have to consider if attending this will look like it lends support by contradicting current Greek policy. It's the same thing that happened with the Romanov wedding. Outside Russia, more people would have come. Inside Russia, it became a diplomatic issue (even though Putin was seemingly fine with it there).

Diplomacy is the opposite of the personal.

Old 10-26-2021, 09:42 PM
Heir Apparent

I can 100% see this possibly being an issue and a reason for senior royals - sovereigns and heirs - to stay away. They may not have wanted to attend in the first place - we'll never know - but we also don't know what diplomacy goes on behind the scenes. Remember in 2012 Spain's Queen Sofia had to cancel her attendance at the Diamond Jubilee lunch for Elizabeth II at the request of the then Spanish government who said it was "hardly appropriate" given the "dispute" over Gibraltar. Then the point was to make a public splash about it, but it does make me wonder if quietly, behind the scenes, it wasn't made clear that a private family wedding in the cathedral was okay - but lots of sovereigns flying in for a quasi-official 'we are still royal' type of wedding would have caused a row.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

There were no (present, former, future) royal heads of state attending (apart from the Greek royal family themselves).

The closest to this category was Doña Sofía but of course she and her sister Irene are aunts of the groom. This seems to indicate (like at the Russian wedding) that the Royal Houses wanted to avoid a Greek royal wedding in Greece itself, like they avoided a Russian imperial wedding in Russia itself.

Georg Prinz von Preußen / Georgy Mikhailovitch Romanov could have had a wedding in Potsdam, for an example, one of the ancestral domains of his paternal royal family (Prussia). I am sure that then the royal turn-out would be bigger than in Saint-Petersburg. At the same time the headlines in the former Russian homeland would be minimal, I guess. Same counts for the Greeks. This wedding in Athens was remarkable, exactly because it was right in the middle of Athens indeed. A lesser royal turnout but a bigger media attention in the own former homeland.
Old 10-27-2021, 04:55 AM
Majesty

An important factor to consider is that the royal wedding of Prince Philippos and Nina was able to take place. They had their families and some relatives with them. Philippos and Nina looked joyful from the photographs that were taken. Are not the bride and groom suppose to be happy on their wedding day?
Old 10-27-2021, 05:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
An important factor to consider is that the royal wedding of Prince Philippos and Nina was able to take place. They had their families and some relatives with them. Philippos and Nina looked joyful from the photographs that were taken. Are not the bride and groom suppose to be happy on their wedding day?

Absolutely, it was a wonderful wedding in all accounts.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Or the british Queen going to the christening of the Cambridge children, but didn´t go to Archie Mountbattens christening.
The Queen attended the christenings of George and Charlotte Cambridge, but missed the christenings of Louis Cambridge and Archie Sussex. I do not think she attended the christenings of many of Anne's grandchildren other than that of Savannah, who was the first great grandchild.

My understanding is that Archie's christening was scheduled for a day that HM had a prior private engagement. Rather than schedule to fit in with the diary of HM, his parents wanted the christening that very weekend (4 July weekend) to accommodate the American God parents.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:56 AM
Majesty

Cover Point de Vue of this Week Vera Arrivabena's Wedding. I suppose the Greek Wedding is for next Week.

I wrote them that I was angry to have Harry and Meghan as cover instead of Maria Astrid of Liechtenstein and the Duke of Noto's Weddings
The Week after the Cover of Kate and William instead of Grand Duke Georgy 's Wedding
Old 10-27-2021, 01:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
The Queen attended the christenings of George and Charlotte Cambridge, but missed the christenings of Louis Cambridge and Archie Sussex. I do not think she attended the christenings of many of Anne's grandchildren other than that of Savannah, who was the first great grandchild.
That´s what I meant with my post!
Old 10-27-2021, 01:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
There were no (present, former, future) royal heads of state attending (apart from the Greek royal family themselves).

The closest to this category was Doña Sofía but of course she and her sister Irene are aunts of the groom. This seems to indicate (like at the Russian wedding) that the Royal Houses wanted to avoid a Greek royal wedding in Greece itself, like they avoided a Russian imperial wedding in Russia itself.
Well, when Prince Nikolaos married back in 2010 on greek soil, the Queen of Denmark attended, as well as the heirs from Norway, Sweden, Denmark, the Netherlands and Spain. But it was of course not in the capital city, though.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:31 PM
Serene Highness

I think it is also important to point out that only 100 people could be in attendance in the church.

Additionally if we look at who his godparents are:
- King Juan Carlos I
- Prince Philip
- Diana, Princess of Wales
- Infanfa Elena
- Princess Benedikte
- Kyril, Prince of Preslav
- Penelope, Lady Romsey

It makes sense that Benedikte and her daughter were there and not the Queen…
This is also not just Philippos wedding, Nina also had to invite her part of the 100 people. Philippos immediate family includes:
Parents (2)
Siblings (4)
In-Laws (3)
Nieces and nephews (9)

That is already 18 people. Add in his godparents/godparent spouses (4) that’s 22. With the bride and the groom it’s 24- We’re already almost at 25% of the acceptable guest list. I think it all came down to logistics. They had Nina’s family and their godchildren (Nina’s were apart of the wedding party) and their mutual friends… the church fills up quite quickly.

Additionally someone would need to stay home to be regent in Denmark. From my research I don’t think Benedikte was at Tatiana and Nikolaos wedding- but Margrethe was. There are a lot of moving factors to consider and I don’t envy for being the ones who had to decide which family members were not invited!
Old 11-12-2021, 01:39 PM
Majesty

Princess Nina shares new wedding photo.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CWLyWplA...dium=copy_link
Old 11-13-2021, 03:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

That is a great wedding photo!

"If your dreams don't scare you, they are not big enough" Sir Sidney Poitier
1927-2022
Old 11-13-2021, 03:21 PM
Gentry

I liked the photo that Princess Nina has published. This shows us how complicated it is to get into a car with a wedding dress with a veil and train and the father hahaha I love photo, bravo!!
Old 12-26-2021, 10:21 PM
Nobility

Did they ever release one of those "class picture"-style photos with all the notable guests standing on a staircase (or risers) with the bridal party?
Old 01-10-2022, 04:43 PM
Aristocracy

What a beautiful church!
The bride and groom both look lovely and in love.
Personally I don't like de weddingdress.
Is is so big, almost like a maternity weddingdress. I do not like the placement of the veil, her hair is very severe.. sorry but it does not enhance her looks.
Nice flowers but the bouquet is too small for this enormous dress.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Princess Nina posted an unseen picture from her Wedding

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYwGUolgvtH/