Prince Henri of Bourbon-Parma and Archduchess Gabriella of Austria, 12 Sept 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

REAL COUNTESS

Courtier
City
tacoma
Country
United States
I just read on Eurohistory ADss Marie Gabriela and Prince of Bourbon Parma married today. There is only one pic their little daughter Victoria is by their side. There seem to be lots of guest's at the wedding, hope we'll see more then 1 pic. Best wishes to them and happiness for their future together.

Congratulations to the couple!

Congratulations:flowers:

I am surprised. That looks like a lot of guests allowed even for an outdoor wedding. Not vast social distancing between the chairs to even explain in.

I hope we at least get one proper photo of the couple (and their daughter) where we can see the three of them facing the camera. See her gown.

That looks like a lot of guests allowed even for an outdoor wedding. Not vast social distancing between the chairs to even explain in.
According to what Google told me Austria permits indoor events with 500 participants and outdoor events with 750 participants with a 1 meter distance to strangers.

Last edited:
According to what Google told me Austria permits indoor events with 500 participants and outdoor events with 750 participants with a 1 meter distance to strangers.
Thank you for sharing this information.

Congratulations to Henri, Gabriella and Victoria.:flowers:

Congratulations to the happy couple!
Though I must admit that the lack of good photos is disappointing. Let's hope that they will release some good portraits later on. But it seems that the couple is rather fond of privacy.

THat seems a huge amount. Far too many. But Im glad Hen and Gabriela have been able to get married.

Finally decent pictures of the lovely couple! I like the gown, and their little girl looks adorable. So AD Gabrielle wears GD Adelaide's sapphire tiara, the same as her cousin Princess Marie-Gabrielle de Nassau did! Both her sister Marie Christine and her sister-in-law Adelaide wore the small floral tiara, so this comes as a little surprise. But she wears it beautifully, imo.

Is Gabriella still Archduchess AND Princess or either one?
And what is" HIGHER"?
And is her sister Marie Christine now less royal by having married a Limburg-Stirum?

Congratulations to HRH Prince Henri of Bourbon-Parma & HI&RH Archduchess Gabriella of Austria ,the bride looked stunning.

To me they are SAR Prince Henri et SAR et I la Princesse Henri de Bourbon Parme.

Once an Archduchess, always an Archduchess!

Only not actually in Austria. ;)

Congrats to the couple, I hope it works out for them and their baby and doing this after a few years means they actually want to and it's not because they feel obligated.

Honestly if it was out of pressure/obligation they would have married before their daughter was born. Or shortly after. Coming from heavily catholic families they would have felt pressure to make it legal as soon as possible. The fact that they chose to wait so long seems to point that this was a choice of their own and not simply to appease their family.

The bride looks stunning. I love the tiara and the gown :flowers:

I love their little girl in her traditional costume. So adorable.

And what is" HIGHER"?
And is her sister Marie Christine now less royal by having married a Limburg-Stirum?

HI&RH Archduchess Gabrielle of Austria, Princess of Bourbon-Parma.

Her sister is referred to as Archduchess Marie Christine, Countess of Limburg-Stirum. And no she is not 'less royal'. A woman takes her husband's rank unless they hold a higher rank from birth. She maintains her HI&RH status even as a married woman. Its like Princess Margaretha of Liechtenstein. Her husband is a HSH but because she was born a HRH of Luxembourg, she retains her HRH status.

And what is" HIGHER"?

The titles of Archduchess of Austria and Princess of Parma have no legality in the current republics of Austria or Italy. Neither was higher, since both were titles of then-reigning monarchies.

There is a longstanding tradition in Europe that a married woman is styled with the title of her husband but retains her own title even though she no longer needs to use it. She continues to use her own predicate (HIH or HRH for example) if it is higher than the predicate of her husband.

The traditional style in this case, for individuals who use the titles of pretense, would be: HI&RH Princess Henri/Gabriella of Bourbon of Parma. (I am not sure whether the Bourbon-Parma wives use their husband's forename following the French custom or their own forename following the Italian custom.)

But nowadays it is not uncommon for European women to continue using their own titles after marriage.

HI&RH Archduchess Gabrielle of Austria, Princess of Bourbon-Parma.

Her sister is referred to as Archduchess Marie Christine, Countess of Limburg-Stirum.

I am curious about where you observed the use of this style. The European tradition would be to use one title or the other.

Last edited:
The titles of Archduchess of Austria and Princess of Parma have no legality in the current republics of Austria or Italy. Neither was higher, since both were titles of then-reigning monarchies.

There is a longstanding tradition in Europe that a married woman is styled with the title of her husband but retains her own title even though she no longer needs to use it. She continues to use her own predicate (HIH or HRH for example) if it is higher than the predicate of her husband.

The traditional style in this case would be: HI&RH Princess Henri/Gabriella of Bourbon of Parma. (I am not sure whether the Bourbon-Parma wives use their husband's forename following the French custom or their own forename following the Italian custom.)

But nowadays it is not uncommon for European women to continue using their own titles after marriage.

I am curious about where you observed the use of this style. The European tradition would be to use one title or the other.

Her Imperial and Royal Highness Princess Astrid of Belgium, Archduchess of Austria-Este

Princess Antonia of Prussia, Duchess of Wellington

I have seen plenty of blogs that refer to Marie Gabrielle as Archduchess Marie Gabrielle of Austria, Countess of Countess of Limburg-Stirum.

There are cases where they don't, like Margaretha of Liechtenstein doesn't use Luxembourg any more, but there are cases of both.

I have seen plenty of blogs that refer to Marie Gabrielle as Archduchess Marie Gabrielle of Austria, Countess of Countess of Limburg-Stirum.

There are cases where they don't, like Margaretha of Liechtenstein doesn't use Luxembourg any more, but there are cases of both.

I.e. the Grand Ducal Court of Luxembourg refers to Marie Christine as "S.A.I.R. la Comtesse Marie Christine de Limburg-Stirum", which is in line with the tradition.
Just like her aunt HRH Princess Margaretha of Liechtenstein, or like HRH the Hereditary Princess of Liechtenstein, after marriage they kept their style (which was higher then their husbands' style), but started using the husbands' title.

Her Imperial and Royal Highness Princess Astrid of Belgium, Archduchess of Austria-Este

Princess Antonia of Prussia, Duchess of Wellington

It is unfortunately extremely common to see style/title errors on blogs.

For example, Astrid of Belgium is in reality styled "Her Royal Highness Princess Astrid, Princess of Belgium".

"Her Royal Highness Princess Astrid, Princess of Belgium, was born in Brussels on 5 June 1962. She is the second child of King Albert II and Queen Paola."​

https://www.monarchie.be/en/royal-family/princess-astrid

I have never seen her use "Her Imperial and Royal Highness Princess Astrid of Belgium, Archduchess of Austria-Este".

I could imagine that Margaretha/Nikolaus Liechtenstein might be a little disappointed on the fiances of both their daughters being commoners whereas both daughters of MA/Carl Christian are now married noble, even royal.

If daughters are really happy, parents are also.

Congratulations:flowers:

I am surprised. That looks like a lot of guests allowed even for an outdoor wedding. Not vast social distancing between the chairs to even explain in.

I hope we at least get one proper photo of the couple (and their daughter) where we can see the three of them facing the camera. See her gown.

I had learned that if a couple married in the Roman Catholic faith the wedding Mass was in a Catholic church, Catholic cathedral, or Catholic chapel. An outdoor Catholic Mass would not have been allowed.

Archduchess Marie Astrid wore her late Mother's clothes for her eldest daughter's Wedding.

Back
Top Bottom