Lady Charlotte Wellesley and Alejandro Santo Domingo. May 28, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lula

Imperial Majesty
Country
Spain
Lady Charlotte Wellesley is the 9th Duke of Wellington's daughter. Her mother is princess Antonia of Prussia.

Alejandro Santo Domingo, the uncle of Tatiana Santo Domingo.

The couple are set to exchange vows in front of more than 200 high society family and friends at the Church of the Incarnation in Illora, near Granada, on Saturday. A reception is due to take place after the wedding at the Duke of Wellington’s nearby country estate.

The Duchess of Cornwall and King Juan Carlos arrived in Granada for rehearsals and a special dinner ahead of Saturday's service.

James Blunt and wife Sofia dress to impress as they touch down in Spain | Daily Mail Online

El rey Juan Carlos acude a la fiesta previa a la boda del año en Granada

El rey Juan Carlos, Andrea Casiraghi, Eva Herzigova... Íllora calienta motores para la gran boda de Alejandro Santo Domingo y Charlotte Wellesley

http://www.revistavanityfair.es/act...lotte-wellesley-en-granada/10945/image/650923

Last edited:
Forgive me for my silly question: Is Alejandro Santo Domingo the brother of the well-known Tatiana Santo Domingo?

:previous:
:previous:

No, Alejandro is the fruit of a second marriage of Tatjana's grandfather:

Julio Santo Domingo Pumareja (1923-2011)
x
1st
Edyala Braga Brandão do Monte
=
Julio Santo Domingo Braga

Julio Santo Domingo Braga (1958–2009)
x
Vera Rechulski Beresowski
=
Tatiana Santo Domingo Rechulski (1983)
Julio Santo Domingo Rechulski (1985)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Julio Mario Santo Domingo Sr (1923-2011)
x
2nd
Beatrice Dávila Rocha
=
Alejandro Santo Domingo Dávila (1977)
Andrés Santo Domingo Dávila (1978)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Dukes of Wellington hold a Spanish dukedom from the peninsular war days but I'm not sure if it's the same as a British dukedom in the peerage.

Looks like great weather for a wedding

These rich people know they enjoy attending weddings a lot. Don't they ever get tired of weddings?

These rich people know they enjoy attending weddings a lot. Don't they ever get tired of weddings?

Those weddings are also the best networking events. The Borromeos, the Casiraghis, the Wellingtons, the Marzottos, the Agnellis, the Prussians, the Grimaldis, the Santo Domingos, the Hannovers, us knows us. Often from weddings come another weddings, so maintaining this upper echelon in society.

Last edited:
Those weddings are also the best networking events. The Borromeos, the Casiraghis, the Wellingtons, the Marzottos, the Agnellis, the Prussians, the Grimaldis, the Santo Domingos, the Hannovers, us knows us. Often from weddings come another weddings, so maintaining this upper echelon in society.

Well, I do like social gatherings, but I would get tired of weddings. I guess it all make sense though.

The Dukes of Wellington hold a Spanish dukedom from the peninsular war days but I'm not sure if it's the same as a British dukedom in the peerage.

Looks like great weather for a wedding

That is Duque de Ciudad Rodrigo, Grande de España. The Duke has ceded that title to his eldest child and Heir, the Marquess of Douro. Now the eldest child of the Marquess is a girl, Lady Mae Wellesley, she will be the first to apply for the title Duquesa de Ciudad Rodrigo unless she makes no use of her right to petition and leaves that to her brother, Lord Arthur Wellesley, Earl of Mornington.

When Lady Mae will apply for the title Duquesa de Ciudad Rodrigo, Grande de España, it will leave the Wellington family, from "the Iron Duke", with whom it all started. A next Duque de Ciudad Rodrigo may well be Mr Smith next door, with this breaking the link of that title and the Wellingtons, victorious in the Battles of Ciudad Rodrigo and Waterloo.

Last edited:
It's interesting the dukedom of Wellington is inherited 'heirs male', meaning women are excluded but the Spanish dukedom goes to a female

Last edited:
That is Duque de Ciudad Rodrigo, Grande de España. The Duke has ceded that title to his eldest child and Heir, the Marquess of Douro. Now the eldest child of the Marquess is a girl, Lady Mae Wellesley, she will be the first to apply for the title Duquesa de Ciudad Rodrigo unless she makes no use of her right to petition and leaves that to her brother, Lord Arthur Wellesley, Earl of Mornington.

Has the new Duke of Wellington also already ceded the Dukedom of Ciudad Rodrigo to his son? the late duke did that so the present Duke of Wellington was alreeady duke of Ciudad Rodrigo before he became Duke of Wellington.
Intersting also when the 6. Duke died in 1943 his daughter and only child Anne succeeded him as Duchess of Ciudad Rodrigo and his brother as Duke of Wellington etc. In 1949 Anne ceded the title Duke of Ciudad Rodrigo to her uncle so it was again united with the dukes of Wellington.

It's interesting the dukedom of Wellington is inherited 'heirs male', meaning women are excluded but the Spanish dukedom goes to a female
Because some years ago (i believe in 2005) the spanish Goverment passed a law that spanish noble Titles will be inherited by the oldest child regardless of gender. Because of this the new Duke of Medinaceli is the son of the late Duchess daughter which was her oldest child.

One should not forget that Spanish titles could always be inherited by daughters, in case they had no brothers. That is how the famous late Duchesses of Alba or Medinaceli inherited some of the most important Spanish titles. The change of the laws just changed from male preference primogeniture to equal primogeniture. So now the eldest child will inherit regardless of gender.

In case of the Wellingtons, there always was the possibility that the English and the Spanish titles would go to different persons.

But back to the wedding: Are there no pics of the bridal party? Seeing the bride is always the most interesting part of a wedding. I really hope that pictures will still come up.

One should not forget that Spanish titles could always be inherited by daughters, in case they had no brothers. That is how the famous late Duchesses of Alba or Medinaceli inherited some of the most important Spanish titles. The change of the laws just changed from male preference primogeniture to equal primogeniture. So now the eldest child will inherit regardless of gender.

In case of the Wellingtons, there always was the possibility that the English and the Spanish titles would go to different persons.

But back to the wedding: Are there no pics of the bridal party? Seeing the bride is always the most interesting part of a wedding. I really hope that pictures will still come up.

With the addition that the heir(ess) has to petition for the title. When Lady Mae Wellesley does not petition the King of Spain about the vacant title Duque de Ciudad Rodrigo, the next in line (her brother) can still become the new Duke. Succession in Spain is not automatic, it needs a procedural handling first.

Stunning gown, special and elegant. I especially like the way the collar holds the train. But it is a pity the the bride did not wear the stunning family tiara.

That is an amazing dress. Finally something that isn't lace or satin. It looks heavy to wear though, and quite warm.

Lady Charlotte's look had medieval feel about it. I liked the fact the bride wore minimal jewellery. The veil seemed to have polka embroidery.

After seeing close-up photos on www.ru-royalty.livejournal.com, I am really impressed with elegant austerity of the whole ensemble.

On a different note ... Who exactly from the cream of the European aristocracy attended the wedding?

Last edited:
I was thinking the same about the tiara but thought maybe the political climate in Spain had something to do with it. Although a private wedding, someone told me tiaras are a rarity in Spain even with the royals

Last edited:
Lovely dress, pity the newspaper articles don't give a full discription of it. Any ideas as to what the material is . The veil was very unusual .

Wow, what a stunning bride. Her gown is beautiful. I too love the fact it is different, not all these lace an strapless ones lately. Definitely glowing with happiness as was the groom and other guests even in rain. :flowers:

With the addition that the heir(ess) has to petition for the title. When Lady Mae Wellesley does not petition the King of Spain about the vacant title Duque de Ciudad Rodrigo, the next in line (her brother) can still become the new Duke. Succession in Spain is not automatic, it needs a procedural handling first.

I assume you mean IF and not when. When the now 4 year old Mae gets to the age where she can petition for the vacant position (likely decades from now) why would she choose not to have a title? You don't.

What a gorgeous dress. Also interesting is the bride's dark shoes and the dark waistbands worn by the bridesmaids.

:previous: Oh I just noticed her shoes. Love they are the same darker green shade as the sashes her flower girls and page boys are wearing.

Back
Top Bottom