Grand Duke George of Russia and Nobile Rebecca Bettarini; 24 Sept. & 1 Oct. 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Someone please post photos of the other royals arriving for the wedding reception

Apparently ni was wrong , according to the Royal Musings site he was ill and unable to attend , So the identity of the gentleman present with the Grand Duchess is a mystery .

No. The father of the groom couldn’t attend as he was unwell

The Groom iw wearing a red Sash , a small Collar and a big Collar. His Mother is wearing a light blue Sash. Which Orders are they wearing ?

I almost didn't recognize Tsarista Margarita of Bulgaria.

The Duchess of Anjou and the Albanian Crown Princess looked really wonderful.

I don't understand how the Spanish Duke of Anjou was sitting on the first Row next to Don Duarte and next to the Crown Prince of Albania. He is not even a Royal Higness.
The french Duke of Anjou who is a Royal Higness sitting behind !

I caught a glimpse of Luxembourg's Prime Minister Xavier Bettel inside the Cathedral, but none of the Royal family.

It was a great wedding ceremony with truly angelic chants! I really love Russian church music.

And the wedding dress was very classy too. But on some vids I have seen, it seemed like there was the double headed eagle of the Empire on the train - that was perhaps a bit to much.

But all in all a wonderful thing this wedding - great for monarchy.

Did not like the bridal tiara at the religious service .

Tiaras for the banquet! Looking forward to see the other guests.

Me too...hope to see more guests wearing a tiara.

Duchess of Braganca is wearing her diamond bandeau tiara...Apart from the above mentioned, we can also see Countess of Ampudia with a small diamond and pearl tiara and PR manager Viktoria Shelyagova wearing one bigger (maybe amethyst) tiara.

Last edited:
I don't understand how the Spanish Duke of Anjou was sitting on the first Row next to Don Duarte and next to the Crown Prince of Albania. He is not even a Royal Higness.
The french Duke of Anjou who is a Royal Higness sitting behind !

The Spanish Duke of Anjou has confirmed in interviews that he is a Royal Highness on his French passport, although he is only an Excellency under Spanish law.

And as a future pretender to a throne, I suppose Georgy recognizes other pretenders' claims as well.

:previous:

I don't think Don Luis Alfonso de Borbón has ever been treated and/or recognised as the French pretender by any other court or royal family in Europe. AFAIK this 'elevation' is a first. Rather curious.

Blog Real said:
Infanta Maria Francisca (daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Bragança) wearing her first tiara at the Russian imperial wedding.
I don't know the origin of this tiara.

It seems to be silver and cultured pearls? A new creation & loan by a jewelry firm perhaps. She looks lovely.

Tilia C. said:
The grand duchess has an amethyst kokoshnik which she hasn't worn before.

Has it been established if the gems in the GDss tiaras are real ones? I believe the general opinion a few years ago was that there was reason for doubt.

--
Is there a representative for the Romanian RF? The Princess Margaretha often attends these kind of functions but I have seen no photos of her.

Last edited:
It was a great wedding ceremony with truly angelic chants! I really love Russian church music.

And the wedding dress was very classy too. But on some vids I have seen, it seemed like there was the double headed eagle of the Empire on the train - that was perhaps a bit to much.

But all in all a wonderful thing this wedding - great for monarchy.

I have attended many Russian Orthodox liturgies. The a capella chanting can transport you to celestial realms. It is truly magnificent.

I am going to be honest; I did not have high hopes for this wedding when the engagement was first announced. It sounded way too commercial...not very Royal.

I was wayyy off the mark! Regardless of what went on behind the scenes to make it happen, this wedding had the most lavish and old-school Royal feel than any other than I have seen in years. Everything and everyone...the bride, her gown, the guests, the Cathedral, the wedding Liturgy....pitch perfect.

I am happy to have been wrong about it.

Last edited:
It certainly was a very grand wedding! The bride and groom’s happiness is evident and so lovely to see.

It is somewhat amusing to me to see all the pretenders to thrones gathering and pretending they are royal for a weekend. Maria Vladimirova raised up on the platform during the service, you felt like she was imagining she was truly the empress of Russia.

[..]
It seems to be silver and cultured pearls? A new creation & loan by a jewelry firm perhaps. She looks lovely.

Has it been established if the gems in the GDss tiaras are real ones? I believe the general opinion a few years ago was that there was reason for doubt.
[..]
No, it has never been confirmed whether the GDss tiaras are real or fake. Imo, the speculation that they are fake was started by people who didn't like the modern design of the pearl kokoshnik which she wore three times in 2011 and 2013.

Personally, I guess that they are real jewels, but loans from a jeweler. That said, I also think that the bridal tiara is on loan. In their PR communications they avoided to elaborate whether it was a purchase or a loan, but I won't be surprised if the tiara will soon be spotted in the Chaumet showroom again.

To see Maria Francesca with her first tiara was a great surprise. She looked lovely with this youthful contemporary tiara. Nevertheless I prefer old family jewels. Her mother has two small tiaras at her disposal, the diamond bandeau and a necklace tiara of unknown origin. One of those would have been fitting for her as well.

All in all, I'm a bit disappointed at the lack of photos from the Wedding Banquet. :sad:

Last edited:
I’m not sure how to share it here but if you go to Maria Francisca’s Instagram profile and click on her stories she has shared video shots from inside the evening reception. You get to see the cake and other guests.

Yes it is a pitys that there are so few pics from the Gala. And also that several of the royal ladies who have tiaras at their disposal went tiaraless, like Queen Margarita of Bulgaria of Princess Elia of Albania.

As for the kokoshniks of Grand Duchess Maria i guess also that they are on loan, because i don't think that she own several in the same style and wear them only once.
I nonly wonder what happened to the tiara she wore at her Wedding and several Eventws afterward. I hasn't been seen since the 90's i believe.

Last edited:
Personally, I guess that they are real jewels, but loans from a jeweler. That said, I also think that the bridal tiara is on loan. In their PR communications they avoided to elaborate whether it was a purchase or a loan, but I won't be surprised if the tiara will soon be spotted in the Chaumet showroom again.

Maria Vladimirovna also had a option of wearing her wedding pearl tiara which she wore also for one of her formal portraits years later , albeit with rubies. Somehow, I don't think Maria would put herself in a position to wear paste jewels at the grand events like her sons wedding. As for her new style kokoshnik tiara, she was wearing it quite a few times in last 10 years, although with other jewels in it, so I am not sure that it is a permanent loan.

To see Maria Francesca with her first tiara was a great surprise. She looked lovely with this youthful contemporary tiara. Nevertheless I prefer old family jewels. Her mother has two small tiaras at her disposal, the diamond bandeau and a necklace tiara of unknown origin. One of those would have been fitting for her as well.

The Duchess was wearing herself bandeau diamond tiara at the banquet. All in all, I agree with you that old family jewels are always better option, but I am happy that we had a chance to see something new, even if it was a loan.

All in all, I'm a bit disappointed at the lack of photos from the Wedding Banquet. :sad:

Me too. I would like to have seen more photos of guests from the wedding banquet. :)

Last edited:
Maria Vladimirovna also had a option of her wedding pearl tiara which she wore also for one of her formal portraits years later , albeit with rubies. Somehow, I don't think Maria would put herself in a position to wear paste jewels at the grand events like her sons wedding. As for her new style kokoshnik tiara, she was wearing it quite a few times in last 10 years, although with other jewels in it, so I am not sure that it is a permanent loan.
The fate of her wedding tiara is a mystery to me. The last dated sighting of it that I have is the Württemberg wedding in 1993. I have also seen a double portrait of her with a young Georgy where she wears it in the ruby form. That looks more recent then 1993, looking at Georgy's age. Maybe she had to sell it quietly? Or it is a Prussian tiara and she decided go style herself as more Russian? The traditional Russian kokoshnik style is now certainly preferred by her.

She has worn three different kokoshnik tiara over those ten years:
- The pearl kokoshnik in 2011 wedding of Albert & Charlene and the wedding of Georg Friederich of Prussia & Sophie of Isenburg and in 2013 at the wedding of [FONT=&quot]Princess Noal bint Daoud ibn Zaher Shah & Prince Said Mohammed Ali Farouk.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- A kokoshnik with acquamarines (and pearls?) at the wedding of Prince Leka and Elia in 2016[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- and now the amethyst and pearl kokoshnik[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There are similarities in these tiaras, but I see difference in the structure and the proportions that make it unlikely to be the same tiara. It wouldn't surprise me though if they came all from the same jeweler.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Unfortunately I haven't yet seen a picture of the Duchess of Braganza with the diamond bandeau. So far, it's the only historic family tiara that we know of at this wedding.:sad: My argument is, that she has at least 3 tiaras at her disposal (and a fourth, her own wedding tiara, which is at a museum but can be withdrawn at really important events.) So she could have shared one of them with her daughter.
[/FONT]

Has anyone seen a pic of Grand Duchess Maria's sister at the Wedding Gala. Read somewhere that she attended wearing a diamond and pearl tiara. Perhaps that was the Wedding tiara of Maria.

Last edited:
I still think that the pearl and the ruby tiaras have the same base of a foliage motive set in diamonds. While the ruby element are inserted all around the tiara, the pearl spikes are higher than the ruby elements, but they are only inserted at the front. So the tiara looks high in the middle, while the 'empty' diamond elements at the sides and backwards are rather low and sometimes get buried in the hair. But on one picture from the Württemberg wedding you can see that the diamond base of the pearl version looks like a nearly full circle, just like the ruby tiara does when seen in profile.

edit: I made a visual comparison here: http://imageupper.com/i/?S1200010030011Q1633176231808475

edit II: Apparently the pearl spikes are alternating with diamond spikes.

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]Unfortunately I haven't yet seen a picture of the Duchess of Braganza with the diamond bandeau.
[/FONT]

Scroll down the pictures:

Royal Musings: George & Victoria: the Reception

The Duchess is barely see-able, but at the dinner table she is seated next to King Simeon of Bulgaria (wearing red dress), who in turn is seated next to Maria Vladimirovna on his other side.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen a pic of Grand Duchess Maria's sister at the Wedding Gala. Read somewhere that she attended wearing a diamond and pearl tiara. Perhaps that was the Wedding tiara of Maria.

I would also like to see the whole picture.

In the link posted above, you can see Helen Kirby in the same picture as the Duchess of Braganca, seated at the dinner table and wearing what looks like the diamond tiara. As the pics is taken from far away, we can't see exactly what tiara is she wearing. :(

I have now seen Instagram story of Viktoria Shelyagova and it seems Helen Kirby is indeed wearing diamond and pearl version of the tiara, worn previously by Maria Vladimimirovna.

If someone finds more pics from the wedding reception, please post.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom