Archduchess Sofia of Habsburg & Prince Mariano Hugo zu Windisch-Graetz 1990

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mtbcm

Serene Highness
City
Lisboa
Country
Portugal
Pictures from the Ball and Reception held on the night before the wedding at the Residenz Museum of Salzburg.

Bride and Groom with the mother of the bride, the archduchess Helena.

Bride and groom with her family, Archduke Ferdinand and Helena of Austria and her brother Archduke Maximiliano.

Bride and groom at the table. Sofia wears diamond earrings and bracelet offered by the groom’s mother.

The wedding took place in Saint Mary Church in Salzburg. Her wedding gown was in silk “duchess” designed by Valentino and with a diamond tiara that her mother took at her own wedding and belonged to Princess Elizabeth of Greece.

Entering the Church

I luv the royal purpleness going on. ANd the bride is beautiful. WHat does her groom do?

Infanta Elena of Spain arriving with Archduke Maximiliano

Sofia's parents and brother with Infanta Elena during the cerimony

Bride and groom during the cerimony

Church

Sofia with her best friend, Doralla​

Sofia speaking with the girls

Sofia with Infanta Elena of Spain

Sofia and Hugo with Archduke Maximiliano

Family photo with Sofia parents and Hugo's mother, Princess of Windisch-Graetz and children

Couple smilling and kissing

The couple are photografed under a portrait of Emperor Francisco José

(These pictures were scanned from Hola magazine and posted Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting)

the bride is beautiful....love her eyes...but why does evryone look so stiff

The bride really looks like a failrytale princess, the ones we dreamed about as children:eek: sob sob

Archduchess Sophie - some biographical detail.

father:
HI&RH Archduke Ferdinand of Austria (1918-2004)
mother:
married 1956 HIllH Countess Helene (1937- ), only daughter of HIllH Carl Theodor, Count zu Toerring-Jettenbach and HRH Princess Elisabeth of Greece and Denmark (a sister of Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent)

siblings:
HI&RH Archduke Maximilian (1961- ), married 2005 Maya Askari
HI&RH Archduchess Elisabeth (1957-died of a brain tumor in Cooma, Australia 1983)

the bride:
HI&RH Archduchess Sophie (1959- )
the groom:
married 1990 HSH Mariano Hugo (1965- ), Fürst zu Windsich-Graetz, Head of the Princely House

the children:
HSH Maximilian (1990- ) Erbprinz (Hereditary Prince) zu Windisch-Graetz
HSH Prince Alexis (1991- )
HSH Princess Larissa (1996- )

Is Infanta Elena a good friend of them? Because she seems to be close to the bride:)

This Diamond Tiara Russe (a.k.a. the Fringe tiara) belongs to an extremely popular type of diadems, based on a Russian prototype. According to royal-magazine.de, it was made ca. 1880, probably by Bolin (one of the favourite jewellers of Grandduchess Maria Pawlowna).

The articulated and graduated fringe set with old european old mine and circular-cut diamonds, mounted in silver and gold, can be dismantled from the frame and worn as a flexibel necklace and also like a head-jewl.

After the death of Grandduchess Maria Pawlowna, all her diamond jewels went to her daughter, Grandduchess Helena Vladimirovna (later Princess Helena of Greece and Denmark), who passed this diadem also to her daughter, Princess Elizabeth of Greece and Denmark.

After her, again the daughter, Countess Helene Toerring-Jettenbach, received the jewel and lend it to her own daughter, Archduchess Helene.

Here some photos, taken from royal-magazine.de:
1. the fringe tiara;
2. Gradduchess Paria Pawlowna;
3. Archduchess Sofia of Habsburg, on her wedding to Prince Mariano Hugo zu Windisch-Graetz.

I really like her tiara. mtbcm said it was a tiara from her mother's family- have any other royals worn that tiara (other Greek or Austrian royals)? It looks familiar.

Lady Jennifer said:
I really like her tiara. mtbcm said it was a tiara from her mother's family... It looks familiar.
This style of fringe tiara was very popular in its day; many Royal, Princely and Noble families have at least one in their collections.

The couple or Archduchess Sophie of Habsburg have another thread?

There is no separate thread for Archduchess Sophie or Prince Hugo zu Windisch-Graetz.

Marina of Kent was wearing also a fringe tiara for her wedding. As Sophie's Grandmother Hélène was Marina's sister is it the same tiara?
I think they are 2 fringe tiaras because Marie Christine of Kent has this of her stepmother.

Marina of Kent was wearing also a fringe tiara for her wedding. As Sophie's Grandmother Hélène was Marina's sister is it the same tiara?
I think they are 2 fringe tiaras because Marie Christine of Kent has this of her stepmother.

The fringe tiara of Marie-Christine was a gift fromt he Citiy of London to Marina of Greece who wore it on her Wedding Day.
The fringe tiara worn by Archduchess Sophie belonged to to Grand Duchess maria Pavlovna of Russa, née Duchess of Meckelnburg who left it to her daughter Helen, wife of Prince Nikolaos of Greece, who left it to her second augher Elisabeth, Countess of Toerring-Jettenbach, who left it to her daughter Helen.
Russische Strahlen Diadem | Toerring-Jettenbach

I didn't realize the Sophie was 6 years older than her groom until I re-read this thread. She looks younger.

As far as the tiara, I feel that this Fringe Tiara is one of the nicest of all the Royal/Princely Houses.

the bride is beautiful....love her eyes...but why does evryone look so stiff

It's possible that there was some tension in the air due to the fact that the bride was pregnant. The couple has gone on to have a beautiful family with three children -- two boys (Maximilian & Alexis) and a girl (Larissa).

I think the bride is very beautiful:flowers:

Why did she ask her mother for permission during the wedding?

Maybe a family tradition? But in this case it would be strange, since usually this kind of permission is asked to the father...

I believe that along with Katharina , A.D Sofia is one of the most beautiful of princesses from the Habsburg clan.
As for them being stiff because she was pregnant at the time, if that was the norm very few guests would be smiling these days when attending weddings.

You mean Catharina, daughter of Archduke Rudolf and Archduchess Anna Gabriele? If so, I agree with you about her and Sophie, but I would add also Archduchess Marie Christine, now Countess Rodolphe de Limburg-Stirum, who also is very pretty in my opinion.

You mean Catharina, daughter of Archduke Rudolf and Archduchess Anna Gabriele? If so, I agree with you about her and Sophie, but I would add also Archduchess Marie Christine, now Countess Rodolphe de Limburg-Stirum, who also is very pretty in my opinion.

Yes thank you. I mispelled her name. It is Catharina. I was still at the previous generation so to speak. The young A D Marie Christine is also a beautiful aristocratic young lady.:flowers:

This is a beautiful wedding. Just like a royal wedding should be. I think the fashions of the 1980's suited royalty all the big gowns. Are there anymore pictures of the guests ?

I have a question about the bride's sister, Archduchess Elisabeth, mentioned earlier in this thread.

I saw a picture of Elisabeth's wedding in 1982 that said she died in 1983 of a brain tumor.

Her groom had no title and I was curious:

Did her family know she had the tumor when she married?
Was it a case of, she is dying so let's let her have some happiness and forget tradition?
I just wondered because I thought that many of the aristocrats married other aristocrats.
Did she marry this guy and move to Australia? It seems such a distance from Austria...

If this is true, how romantic that she was allowed to marry the man she loved and find joy...:whistling:

Can you tell I have read WAY too many romance novels in my day???:lol: Sigh...

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tenngirl

PS I didn't mean to hijack the thread-if someone can point me to a website with the info, I would be thrilled!

Back
Top Bottom