The Duke of Windsor and Wallis Simpson - 3 June 1937

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She was the epitome her dictom “A woman can't be too rich or too thin.” Her wedding attire proved the lie. She was both rich and thin and she looked just plain awful.

I have often wondered if the "Ghastly Chic" of her wedding dress wasn't a statement about what she thought about the "Hole in the Corner" wedding as I don't think I ever saw a photo of her in anything quite so ugly either before or after the wedding.

As compared with pictures of her at her first wedding and another as a debutante. In both, she looked lovely, feminine, and utterly STUNNING.

I agree, Wallis is often viewed as being unattractive but when she was younger she was arguably pretty.

Wallis Simpson dressed very well. She was attractive when young but her first marriage was a big mistake, her first husband Winfield Spencer was abusive to her.

I'm a little surprised by the comment of 'The story of what a man would do for love is mind blowing.' I think he was very brave to do what he did. His family didn't accept it, obviously, shutting him out of their lives until his funeral and then his wife's funeral. But, look at John Lennon and Yoko Ono, and to a lesser extent,Prince Charles and Camilla. Charlie's mother wasn't too thrilled, and I wonder if she thought of her uncle when she finally approved of their getting married. Theirs was a love marriage and people just had to learn to accept it, no matter how much grief it may have cost others close to them.

I don't agree with you. I believe in love but I don't buy it that this was the biggest love story ever. I have seen a documentary and I wonder whether this marriage was a way out for him. I wonder if he was capable of being a king.He gave the impression that he did not want to be a king. And I think the wedding was also a lucky escape for the UK. I saw terrible pictures of him meeting Hitler with a big smile...
Love is not only about the two of you but also about responsibility for every one around you. And of course you have to choose someone you love and not to please your parents or a whole country.
Anyway.... this is not the thread for it so I stop.

Going back to the weddingdress, I don't like it, she looked so skinny and so well not nice. A big no.

Wallis Simpson dressed very well. She was attractive when young but her first marriage was a big mistake, her first husband Winfield Spencer was abusive to her.

It's quite an interesting example of how things change. Back then, it was considered worse to get divorced than to remain married to someone who was (probably) an alcoholic and a wife-beater. I have a very low opinion of Wallis, but I admire her for defying convention and getting out of that marriage.

Back
Top Bottom