Princess Louise of Wales and Alexander Duff, 1st Duke of Fife - 1889

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CyrilVladisla

Imperial Majesty
City
Conneaut
Country
United States
Princess Louise was the daughter of The Prince and Princess of Wales, Albert Edward and Alexandra.
Alexander Duff was the son of James Duff, 5th Earl Fife and Agnes Duff, The Countess of Fife.
Princess Louise and Alexander married on July 27, 1889 at the Private Chapel in Buckingham Palace.
Louise wore a Duchesse dress of white satin, with a flowing train. She wore a wreath of orange blossoms and a point de gaze veil.
:onering::onering::onering::onering::onering::onering::onering::onering::onering::onering::onering::onering:

Princess Louise and her sister Princess Maud (later queen of Norway) strongly resemble each other.

She received lots of great gifts, most notably the blinged our Fife tiara.

Macduff was quite a bit older than Louise and reportedly somewhat dour (though wealthy) but she was determined to marry him. I think she could see a life of spinsterhood tending to Motherdear looming if she didn’t make an effort.

Macduff was quite a bit older than Louise and reportedly somewhat dour (though wealthy) but she was determined to marry him. I think she could see a life of spinsterhood tending to Motherdear looming if she didn’t make an effort.
Either way, they had a lovely marriage and they truly loved each other.

Princess Louise also looked very like her mother!

Louise was certainly regarded as being extremely shy, and she hid herself away in Scotland for most of her life.Her sister Maud was the least shy of the three girls, I think. Victoria became quite bitter as she got older.

Louise was certainly regarded as being extremely shy, and she hid herself away in Scotland for most of her life.Her sister Maud was the least shy of the three girls, I think. Victoria became quite bitter as she got older.

were they pretty? I haven't got a photo to hand and can't remember, but I never heard that they greatly resemlbed their mother who was a great beauty. They were I think all three rather shy and that probalbly kept them from easily acquiring husbands.

The Wales princesses were not considered beauties, none took after their mother looks-wise yet they were far from ugly. They were never encouraged to take a role in anything really and were poorly educated.

Victoria wanted to marry a couple of times but wasn't allowed to as her mother expected her to stay home as a companion (a glorified maid to her mother was what some described her as). She was the most intelligent of the three and did make a life for herself in her last 10 years after Alexandra died.

After marriage, Louise seemed to distance herself from her family (her mother complained Louise wouldn't allow her children to stay with their grandparents "she thinks I can't look after them"). She was always described as shy. She became expert at fly fishing.

Maud was the most outgoing and a tomboy. She loved sports. After she became Queen of Norway, she was always homesick for England and spent a lot of time there.

By all accounts the The Duke and Duchess of Fife had a very happy marriage.

By all accounts the The Duke and Duchess of Fife had a very happy marriage.

Did they? i've never read anything about them, much. There are no bios of teh Wales girls.

Macduff was not considered dour according to some French prostitutes...! (Hopefully not after his marriage.). He and Louise did seem fairly happy and I don't think she got over being suddenly, bizarrely widowed.

Did they? i've never read anything about them, much. There are no bios of teh Wales girls.

Van der Kiste's Edward's VII's Children is the most I've read about them.

I think all three of them were probably more intelligent than their brothers, considering the virtual lack of formal education they got! (Nephew David's nasty comment aside.) I heard a remark somewhere that their mother was basically only really interested in Eddy and Georgie, not them. Sadly, it feels true...:sad: The beautiful, celebrated Alix not only kept them childlike, as a unit, and with her, but also ensured she'd never have any competition. :/

Louise was genuinely shy, and she and Toria took after their father with heavier features and protruding eyes. She was also genuinely interested in music, and became interested in architecture and design after her marriage and a keen fisherwoman as others have said.

Maud really ought to have an (English) biography at this point, and an author could make a substantial cameo for Louise and a pretty good supporting role for Toria in it, too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom