Princess Charlotte Augusta of Wales and Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg - 1816

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CyrilVladisla

Imperial Majesty
City
Conneaut
Country
United States
Princess Charlotte was the daughter of King George IV of Great Britain. Her mother was Princess Caroline of Brunswick.
Prince Leopold was the son of Duke Francis of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld.
Charlotte and Leopold married on May 2, 1816 at Carlton House in London.
Charlotte's dress was a white and silver slip, covered with transparent silk net embroidered in silver lame' with shells and flowers. The sleeves were trimmed with Brussels lace. The train was six feet long.
Charlotte wore a wreath of diamond leaves and roses.
Leopold wore a scarlet British uniform. He carried a jeweled-encrusted sword that had been given to him by Queen Charlotte.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday: Princess Charlotte's Gown

Last edited by a moderator:
Princess Charlotte was the daughter of King George IV of Great Britain. Her mother was Princess Caroline of Brunswick.
Prince Leopold was the son of Duke Francis of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld.
Charlotte and Leopold married on May 2, 1816 at Carlton House in London.
Charlotte's dress was a white and silver slip, covered with transparent silk net embroidered in silver lame' with shells and flowers. The sleeves were trimmed with Brussels lace. The train was six feet long.
Charlotte wore a wreath of diamond leaves and roses.
Leopold wore a scarlet British uniform. He carried a jeweled-encrusted sword that had been given to him by Queen Charlotte.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday: Princess Charlotte's Gown

I suppose it is easy to get the answer from Wikipedia, but how old were they when they got married and how long were they married before Charlotte’s untimely death ?

Last edited:
I read that they loved each other very much and that it took a long time for him to recover from her loss.

I read that they loved each other very much and that it took a long time for him to recover from her loss.

I read that her father wanted her to marry the Hereditary Prince of Orange (later King Willem II of the Netherlands) and that Charlotte had to fight him to agree to her marriage to Leopold, so I suppose it must have been a true love match.

Their story is very sad indeed. Losing his wife and stillborn son. I've always read that they loved each other dearly, and he was truly disconsolate when they lost her. Even the people of Great Britain were very sad for their princess' death. It seems she was very popular within the people. A very tragic story indeed.

And later he gave her name to a daughter he had with his second wife.

Leopold lost his Wife , his Child and his Trone.
Her doctor commited suicide after the birth .

I suppose it is easy to get the answer from Wikipedia, but how old were they when they got married and how long were they married before Charlotte’s untimely death ?

Princess Charlotte was 20 and Prince Leopold was 25 on their wedding day.

Leopold lost his Wife , his Child and his Trone.
Her doctor commited suicide after the birth .

Wife and child but not really throne. In reality, like Albert, he was never going to be king. He would simply have been consort.

He gained his throne by losing Charlotte and their child.

How different things would have been if Charlotte had lived and been queen. No Victoria as queen, or even alive likely (dad rushed to have a heir after Charlotte died), or her many well spread descendants. Not to mention the descendants of Leopold with his second wife, in Belgium and else where.

But it was sad that their love was cut short so quickly.

Back
Top Bottom