Prince Gustaf Adolf of Sweden and Princess Sibylla of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha - 1932

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
On 20 October 1932 hereditairy prince Gustaf Adolf of Sweden, Duke of Västerbotten married princess Sibylla of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha in Coburg.

2509135598_693dd3c1c7.jpg

==
copyrights expired

Last edited:
That anecdote about the King of Bulgaria is hilarious! Ahh, royal protocol.

Thanks for posting Elsa, I have never seen it before. I suppose that Victoria Melita cvould have argued that an empress (de jure) would outrank an ex-king, but she left the king to his tantrum.

Could you explain Marengo the problem with Victoria Mellita with the ex-tsar Ferdinand of Bulgarie ??

The youtube video shows that Tsar Ferdinand gets angry because Victoria Melita is exiting the church before him, and he starts shouting and gets into the car that was supposed to take Victoria Melita and her daughter Kira. In the mean time the Grand Duchess tries to ignore the kings tantrum.

Does anyone know if Sybilla could speak Swedish at the time of her wedding? In the video when the couple leaves the cathedral, she looks embarassed, or lost for words when she gives a little wave to the crowd. Maybe she was just overwhelmed (she'd be forgiven for that!). I just wondered if maybe she couldn't understand what anyone was saying...

hennybenny, she got married in Coburg (her home) so I'm sure she understood what the crowd was saying. Maybe she didn't know what to say to her new husband (I'm pretty sure he must have spoken German)?

And King Ferdinand behaved pretty atrociously... it was most unchivalrous of him to have a tantrum because of a breach of protocol.

they boths understand germans and english and princess sybilla swedish was so poor it was one of the reason she was never popular with the swedes

CyrilVladisla,
Could you find the You tube , the anecdote when the Attendance left.
Princess Melita and her Daughter Kyra took Tsar Ferdinand's of Bulgarie 's car and he was angry !

they boths understand germans and english and princess sybilla swedish was so poor it was one of the reason she was never popular with the swedes
Princess Sibylla spoke perfectly good Swedish, but with a German accent.

Information on the civil marriage for Sibylla and Gustaf Adolf
Royal Musings: Civil marriage for Sibylla and Gustaf Adolf

The article stated: The register was signed on a tablet which belonged to Duke Ernst II of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, the father of Prince Albert, who married his first cousin Queen Victoria in 1840.

Duke Ernst II was not the father of Prince Albert.
Duke Ernst II was the brother of Prince Albert.
Duke Ernst I was the father of Duke Ernst II and Prince Albert.

Back
Top Bottom