Prince Ernst August of Cumberland and Princess Viktoria Luise of Prussia - 1913

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
24 May 1913 Prince Ernst August of Cumberland, future Duke of Brunswick-Luneburg, married princess Viktoria Luise of Prussia, daughter of Emperor Wilhelm II. The couple married in Berlin:

a234977426312bdf513d5417c1c3004c.jpg

==
copyrights expired.

Last edited:
The couple:

d27e58cbdde0351fb8fe1d6b630ef001.jpg

And the famous portrait of Tsar Nicholas II and King George V was also made on thos occassion:

3bd0df5c113eda239a948cdc2be8cb1b.jpg

==
copyrights expired

Last edited:
012 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

While i was in Eastern Europe i came upon this beautiful medallion to cemmemorate their wedding i will take a photo of the front later this is the reverse, of the very historical item, would love to know how many of these were struck, any information would be, really appreciated.

Reverse side

Will try put a frontal of this commemoration medal shortly

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 509
A really nice piece of this historical event

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 533
I would be delighted to hear if anyone has one of these or can provide any information on the makers etc, please pm me.

I am green with envy over all the lovely gowns the ladies are wearing in the first image. Wow!

I am ALL about the historical fashions. <3

A really interesting piece of history you have got here! Congratulations!

Thank you, yes it is a really nice piece, in very good condition, would love to know more about it's history, how many were made etc, and by whom? someone must have held this particular medallion very dear, enough for to wear it.

Last edited:
The wedding celebrations of Princess Viktoria Luise and Prince Ernst August ended with the Fackeltanz. The Fackeltanz was a torch dance. This dance was only performed at German royal weddings. No one below the rank of Royal Highness was allowed to take part.

Part of the wedding procession of Princess Viktoria Luise was filmed in color.

I saw an exhibition about her at Huis Doorn in the Netherlands.

Some time before she met Ernst August, she wanted to marry Count Georg von Fugger Babenhausen, but the Kaiser refused this. Luckily she was happily married to Ernst August.

The wedding celebrations of Princess Viktoria Luise and Prince Ernst August ended with the Fackeltanz. The Fackeltanz was a torch dance. This dance was only performed at German royal weddings. No one below the rank of Royal Highness was allowed to take part.

The Fackeltanz has its roots in the court ceremonial of Emperor Constantine (272-337) and was later customary at several German courts as well as the English, French and Danish courts. At the Prussian court the dance looked as follows: Twelve male princes, assisted by pagers, carried burning torches in their hands. In the first round the bride and groom dance alone, after which in the second round the bride invited the emperor and then the other highnesses. Finally, the groom danced with the empress and the princesses. Initially the dance would have ended with the newlyweds being led to their bed.
A variety of the Fackeltanz was also a tradition at Swedish royal weddings until King Carl XIV Johan vetoed its use at the wedding of his son Prince Oscar to Princess Josephine of Leuchtenberg in 1823. In Sweden it was instead the members of the Royal Council that danced for the newlyweds after they had been put into bed.

I've read somewhere that the dance has been performed many times at post-WWII German weddings. One of them the wedding of Prince Georg Wilhelm of Hannover to Princess Sophie of Greece/Hesse.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom