Mary, Princess Royal and Viscount Lascelles - 1922

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
On 28 February 1922 Princess Mary of the UK married Henry, Viscount Lascelles at the Westminster Abbey in London:

2580895512_00b629b259.jpg

==
copyrights expired

Last edited:
In this bridal group are from left to right, standing:
Lady Doris Gordon-Lennox, daughter of the Earl of March
Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, the future D of Y
Viscount Lascelles and Princess Mary
Major Sir Victor Mackenzie, Bt. DSO, the best man
Lady Diana Bridgeman, daughter of the Earl and Countess of Bradford
Lady May Cambridge, daughter of the Earl of Athlone and Princess Alice

Sitting are from left to right:
Lady Victoria Mary Cambridge, daughter of the Marquess of Cambridge
Princess Maud, daughter of the Princess Royal and the Duke of Fife
Lady Rachel Cavendish, daughter of the Duke of Devonshire
Lady Mary Thynne, daughter of the Marquess of Bath

Source: Our King and Queen Volume II

Attachments

• Princess Mary marriage 1.jpg
    Princess Mary marriage 1.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 9,741
Princess Mary and Viscount Lascelles at the Sanctuary rails when the service began in Westminster Abbey

Source same as in prior post

Dr. Ryle, the Dean of Westminster, seen here facing Viscount Lascelles, performed the first part of the service by reading the revised form of introduction proposed by Convocation. Then Dr. Randall Davidson, the Archbishop of Canterbury, concluded the ceremony. The the left of Princess Mary can be seen King George, with slightly in front of him, Lord Lascelles' mother and brother, the Countess of Harewood and the Hon. Edward Cecil Lascelles. The best man, Sir Victor Mackenzie, is standing to the right of Dr. Ryle. Queen Mary may be distinguished by her light dress in the centre of the group right. In the row in front of her are, from left to right: Princess Victoria, Prince Henry and Queen Alexandra.

Attachments

• Princess Mary marriage 2.jpg
    Princess Mary marriage 2.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 6,498
And finally a picture of the crowd awaiting the Princess and the couple together with King George V, Queen Alexandra and Queen Mary on the balcony at Buckingham Palace.

Same source as above.

(Sorry that I do not know how to include the pictures like Marengo does)

Attachments

• Princess Mary marriage 3.jpg
    Princess Mary marriage 3.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 5,141
Farewell

This one shows the three Princes (DoY, Henry, George) showering their sister and the Viscount Lascelles in confetti. The King wearing a bearskin is seen to the right.

The PoW was on an Imperial Mission to India and Japan.

After the reception at Buckingham Palace, the couple drove in an open landau to Paddington to entrain for Shifnal.

Their honeymoon was spent at Weston Park, the seat of the Earl of Bradford.

Same source as above

Attachments

• Princess Mary marriage 4.jpg
    Princess Mary marriage 4.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 1,015
Wonderful picture of the couple being showered by her brothers! Thank you for posting it--

Princess Mary: Royal Bride

King George V, Queen Mary, Princess Mary, and Viscount Lascelles (after the wedding ceremony) at Buckingham Palace, 1922.

2rf7bcx.jpg

Princess Mary was so beautiful IMO, she's one of my favourite princesses. I love the weddings of that decade. Sadly it seems that it wasn't really a love-match.

Very interesting that Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon was in the wedding party. The wedding was in February 1922 so she wouldn't have been engaged to the D of Y at that time

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting that Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon was in the wedding party. The wedding was in February 1922 so she wouldn't have been engaged to the D of Y at that time

I believe Elizabeth Bowes Lyon was in the wedding as bridesmaid because she was a friend of the bride. She actually got engaged to DoY in January, 1923 and subsequently married him in April. So, no, she wasn't engaged to the DoY at the time of Princess Mary's wedding.

Lady Elizabeth Bowes Lyon as a bridesmaid at Princess Mary's wedding, 1922.
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/egallery/images/collection_large/2999505.jpg

really cute pics especially the brothers showering confetti..i wonder if this is where elizabeth met d of y??and fell in love?

:previous:

According to a biography Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon met Prince Albert for the first time in 1919.

Princess Mary was so beautiful IMO, she's one of my favourite princesses. I love the weddings of that decade. Sadly it seems that it wasn't really a love-match.

I agree with all of your post Dierna.
Though looks have nothing to do with who you love, they did seem a little mismatched, like, he didn't look her type.

I agree with all of your post Dierna.
Though looks have nothing to do with who you love, they did seem a little mismatched, like, he didn't look her type.

I believe the Viscount was much older than Princess Mary so the age difference had to be difficult.

Viscount Lascelles was 15 years older than Princess Mary.

Princess Mary did not wear a tiara on her wedding day.
On British Pathe I saw footage on Princess Mary's wedding.
The Glass Coach carrying the bride to Westminster Abbey was pleasant to view.
The cheering crowds were enthusiastic.
Princess Mary stated, "It is a great happiness to me that I am to remain in my native land."

Viscount Lascelles presented Princess Mary with an imperial jewel.
The sapphire cluster devant de corsage with diamond swags and loops had been the property of Grand Duke Mikhail Mikhailovich.
Mikhail had inherited it from his mother, Grand Duchess Olga Feodorovna.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mary's dress looked very elegant. I also loved her veil.

Very nicely done.

I seriously believe that more people would become interested in older Historical Royals if some of the pictures were in color. Princess Mary and her wedding is a perfect example. Examine the detail of Mary's wedding dress in color and see all the details that are sometimes overlooked.

Princess Mary visited her fiance's Yorkshire home of Harewood House in 1921.

Back
Top Bottom