CrownPrincess Juliana of The Netherlands & Prince Bernhard of Lippe-Biesterfeld -1937

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
CrownPrincess Juliana of The Netherlands & Prince Bernhard of Lippe-Biesterfeld -1937

Some pictures of the wedding of Juliana and Bernhard, all from
het Geheugen van Nederland and free of copyrights:

julianaew1.jpg

Princess Armgard, Crown Princess Juliana, Prince Bernhard and Queen Wilhelmina

Last edited:
The ' ondertrouw' ('under-marriage' -> registating the wedding at the city hall) on 19 December 1936

Leaving for the city hall:

jube23.jpg

On the balcony:

jube24.jpg
jube14.jpg

Last edited:
Leaving the palace:

jube31.jpg

Civil wedding:

jube22.jpg

Leaving after the civil wedding:

jube33.jpg
jube26.jpg
jube9.jpg

Last edited:
In church 1:

jube1.jpg
jube17.jpg

jube25.jpg
jube3.jpg

jube28.jpg
jube30.jpg
jube21.jpg

Last edited:
in church 2:

jube27.jpg
jube34.jpg
jube32.jpg
jube35.jpg

Last edited:
Church 3:

jube6.jpg
jube7.jpg

jube8.jpg
jube12.jpg
jube15.jpg

Behind the couple (left to right): Fuerstin Elisabeth of Erbach-Schoenberg. the Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Princess Karola of Lippe, the Fuerstin of Lippe, Prince Aschwin of Lippe-Biesterfeld, Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands, Princess Armgard of Lippe-Biesterfeld, Duke Adolf Friedrich of Mecklenburg, Grand Duchess Elisabeth of Oldenburg, the Fuerst of Lippe, Princess of Saxe-Meiningen. Prince Julius of Lippe and Duchess Elisabeth of Mecklenburg

Last edited:
golden carriage:

jube10.jpg
jube11.jpg

Last edited:
Before entering the balcony of the palace:

jube4.jpg

on the balcony of Noordeinde Palace:

juba2.jpg

The front court of Noordeinde palace, with childrens choirs:

jube5.jpg

Last edited:
Wedding portraits:
jube13.jpg
jube16.jpg

jube19.jpg

On the last picture are the couple with the witnesses (in no particular order): Prince Aschwin of Lippe-Biesterfeld, Duke Adolf Friedrich of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Prince Julius of Lippe, Count Rabe Casper of Oeynhausen-Sierstorpff, Jvr. Louise Pauline van de Poll, Jhr. Frans Beelaerts van Blokland, Johan Huizinga and Colonel Alexei Pantchoulidzew.

Last edited:
The guestlist:

HM Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands
HSH Princess Armgard zur Lippe-Biesterfeld
HHSSHH Prince Viktor Adolf & Princess Rosa, Prince & Princess zu Bentheim und Steinfurt
HSH Princess Elisabeth, Princess zu Erbach-Schönberg
HRH Prince George, Duke of Kent
HRH Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone & HSH the Earl of Athlone
Major Henry & Lady May Abel Smith
HHSSHH Prince Leopold & Princess Anna, Prince & Princess of Lippe
HSH Prince Armin of Lippe (enfant d’honneur)
HSH Prince Aschwin zur Lippe-Biesterfield
HSH Prince Julius & Princess Marie of Lippe
HSH Prince Ernst August of Lippe
HSH Princess Karola of Lippe
HHRRHH Grand Duke Friedrich Franz & Grand Duchess Alexandra of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
HH Hereditary Grand Duke Friedrich Franz of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
HHHH Duke Adolf Friedrich & Duchess Elisabeth of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
HRH Grand Duchess Elisabeth of Oldenburg
HHHH Hereditary Grand Duke Nikolaus & Hereditary Grand Duchess Helena of Oldenburg
HH Duchess Eilika of Oldenburg (enfant d’honneur)
HSH Prince Friedrich, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont
Count Paul & Countess Allene Kotzebue
Count Rabe & Countess Margarethe von Oeynhausen-Sierstorpff
Count Caspar von Oeynhausen-Sierstorpff (enfant d’honneur)
Countess Svea von Oeynhausen-Sierstorpff (enfant d’honneur)
Count & Countess von der Goltz

More guests were expected but many Germans did not get their visa's from the Nazi's.

Last edited:
Love this thread, thanks Marengo for putting it together, what a treat it is!

I've never seen so many opictures of Queen Juliana's wedding!
Great to see them, thanks!

I never saw pictures of Princess Juilana 's wedding to Prince Bernhard I know it took a lot of searching.Thanks for the wonderful photos.

I love her gown. I love that even though it was the epitome of the style of the 30's, it would not be out of place today.

Just another beautiful, classy, and elegant bride :flower

The couple attended a performance in the concert hall in The Hague the ight before. There were some troubles as the conductor had to be replaced as he refused to play the Nazi-anthem (Horst Wessel hymn) and several German guests gave the Nazi-salute, much to the dismay of Queen Wilhelmina and the English guests. As The Netherlands was still neutral at the time the queen had decided that the British anthem should be played too, and the (Dutch) audience sung the anthem as loud as they could.

A picture of Wilhelmina, Bernhard and Juliana at this concert:

fad99b9a0aa15d0fc843df113a1a9e2c633.jpg

If I'm not mistaken Prince Bernhard was only two years younger than CP Juliana but the groom looks much younger or am I the only one thinking so...

I have never really liked her wedding dress, I think it's a shapeless bag. Possibly because of all those folds (which were, if I am correct, inspired by Greek wear). I have seen it on exhibition in 2002, but I don't find it any bit special.

Marengo, Thank you for the information about the ball. I've never heard that story before.

About the dress..does anyone know if P. Laurentien meant to copy Q. Juliana's dress?
The bodice of her dress and the bell sleeves are too similar.

I see the Merlillo (sp) tiara on Q. Wilhelmina but which one is Juliana wearing?

At the wedding concert princess Juliana wore the old version of the emeralf tiara, with three prongs. Later two prongs were removed, but a few years ago two different ones have been added again.

During her wedding Juliana wore the five diamond rose brooches, connected with small pearls. The rose is in the famiy coat of arms of the house of Lippe. The brooches were bought at Mellerio and a gift from king Willem III to queen Emma.

And the engagement:

YouTube - Verloving Prinses Juliana en Prins Bernhard

The announcement led to spontanious celebrations i The Hague and all over the country, as can be seen in the clip too. Afterwards the clip also shows the couple in the garden of a palace, the carriage ride through The Hague, going to church, and fireworks

Last edited:
I thought Queen Juliana's dress was gorgeous! But I do NOT think that it did HER justice. It was wrong & ill fitted for her body I believe, but the fabric and design were sumptuous indeed.

The wedding looked beautiful. I don't know if it is the pictures or not, but Crown Princess Juliana looked out of it. Is there a reason because of it? Also, was there a English royal at the wedding?

The wedding looked beautiful. I don't know if it is the pictures or not, but Crown Princess Juliana looked out of it. Is there a reason because of it? Also, was there a English royal at the wedding?

Yes, the Duke of Kent attended the wedding as a representative of George VI. The D of K had actually proposed to Juliana (and was declined) before he married Marina of Greece; Juliana was also a bridesmaid in their wedding.

The photos at the beginning of the post are inaccessible now. So sorry for that, I would have loved to have seen them.

Who were the bridesmaids for Princess Juliana?

Princess Sophie of Saxe-Weimar was not a bridesmaid for Princess Juliana. Why did Princess Sophie cancel her attendance?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom