Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark and Princess Ingrid of Sweden - 1935

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fairy tale, thank you very much for the wonderful photos! They are beautiful, and my favourite one must be the one where they are stepping out of the church and the sun is shining on their faces. You can literally feel the happiness they are radiating. - I also like the way Frederik looks at Ingrid ever so gently.

And how much time has gone since these photos were taken! And sadly, everyone in these photos, royals, staff members and the public, are all gone now. The beauty of everyone involved on that day will stay for years to come.

Fairy tale, I had no idea that these photos even existed. Thank you for sharing them with me. :flowers:

Frederik was actually engaged to Olga of Greece in the early 20s. They broke off their engagement (supposedly it was mutual) after she met Paul of Yugoslavia. Ingrid was linked to three of George V's sons (the future Edward VIII, the Duke of Gloucester, and the Duke of Kent) as well as Carol of Greece.

In addition to the myrtle Ingrid used, she also requested the church be decorated with delphinium - lots of it. A plane full of delphinium was flown in from the UK especially for the wedding.

In addition to the myrtle Ingrid used, she also requested the church be decorated with delphinium - lots of it. A plane full of delphinium was flown in from the UK especially for the wedding.

Delphinium was a favorite flower of Princess Ingrid's. :flowers::flowers:

When I went to view the wedding, this was shown: Wedding King Frederick IX: The YouTube account associated with this has been terminated.

Ingrid married Frederik:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89n2gzR5f0I

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a reason why they got married in Sweden rather than Denmark? I know that one usually gets married where the bride is from, but Frederik was the crown prince. I would have thought they would have married in Denmark. Princess Anne-Marie got married in Greece where King Constantine lived. Not in Denmark. If Prince Christian were to marry a princess from another country would he be expected to marry in the bride's country?

Is there a reason why they got married in Sweden rather than Denmark? I know that one usually gets married where the bride is from, but Frederik was the crown prince. I would have thought they would have married in Denmark. Princess Anne-Marie got married in Greece where King Constantine lived. Not in Denmark. If Prince Christian were to marry a princess from another country would he be expected to marry in the bride's country?

At that time, they would indeed marry in the bride's home country. For example, in 1926 then crown prince Leopold of Belgium and princess Astrid of Sweden also married in Sweden after which he took his bride with him to her new homeland. Note that her father got married in Denmark, as her mother was a princess of Denmark, while her sister got married in Sweden while marrying a Danish prince. Her sister Märtha was an exception as she got married in Norway when she married the Norwegian crown prince.

It seems that nowadays, at least for the heir to the throne, the wedding will take place in the heir's country. For other princes and princesses (especially in smaller monarchies such as Luxembourg) there seems to be more flexibility).

At that time, they would indeed marry in the bride's home country. For example, in 1926 then crown prince Leopold of Belgium and princess Astrid of Sweden also married in Sweden after which he took his bride with him to her new homeland. Note that her father got married in Denmark, as her mother was a princess of Denmark, while her sister got married in Sweden while marrying a Danish prince. Her sister Märtha was an exception as she got married in Norway when she married the Norwegian crown prince.

It seems that nowadays, at least for the heir to the throne, the wedding will take place in the heir's country. For other princes and princesses (especially in smaller monarchies such as Luxembourg) there seems to be more flexibility).

Thank you! I didn't realize that was the norm back then.

Indeed. At the Wedding of Crown Prince Frederik and Mary Donaldson it was mentioned that this was the first Wedding of a Crown Prince who took place in Copenhagen since over 200 years.

Back
Top Bottom