Prince Floris, Princess Aimée and Family, Current Events Part 1 (February 2005 - )

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prince Floris & Aimee attended the parade in Apeldoorn today ...

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 407
  • Floris.jpg
    Floris.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 386
They seem very happy together and make a sweet couple.

Aimée and Floris baptism Amalia June 2004

Attachments

• kerk.jpg
    kerk.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 282
More pictures from Aimée and Floris Queensday 30 april 2005 from different agencies.

Attachments

• aimeee.jpg
    aimeee.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 295
  • samen.jpg
    samen.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 312
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 365
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 318
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 273
This is sort of a random story. A few months ago I was visiting my grandmother and she very proudly informed us that her god son was getting married. Turns out she was talking about Prince Floris who is the godson of the Royal Canadian Legion (the pictures from the WWII rembrance show him in a Legion unform). Anyways here is a small article from the Legion magaizne.

Members, Your Godson Is Getting Married

Prince Floris of the Netherlands, godson to all Royal Canadian Legion members, has announced plans to marry Aimee Söhngen later this year.

The couple met while Söhngen was studying at Leiden University. She is currently employed as a project manager at the Fortis Bank and her favourite sports are golf and skiing.

Prince Floris is the fourth son of Princess Margriet of the Netherlands who was born in Ottawa during World War II. When he was born the Legion was given the honour of becoming his godparent as a way of marking the sacrifices of Canadians who had given their lives in WW II to liberate the Netherlands. When he reached the age of majority he was invited to become a member of the Legion and an honorary dominion officer.

Dominion Command has sent its congratulations on behalf of all Legion members, wishing Prince Floris and Söhngen a long, healthy and prosperous marriage.

http://www.legionmagazine.com/frontline/journal/05-05.asp

Oppie said:
This is sort of a random story. A few months ago I was visiting my grandmother and she very proudly informed us that her god son was getting married. Turns out she was talking about Prince Floris who is the godson of the Royal Canadian Legion (the pictures from the WWII rembrance show him in a Legion unform). Anyways here is a small article from the Legion magaizne.

Members, Your Godson Is Getting Married

Prince Floris of the Netherlands, godson to all Royal Canadian Legion members, has announced plans to marry Aimee Söhngen later this year.

The couple met while Söhngen was studying at Leiden University. She is currently employed as a project manager at the Fortis Bank and her favourite sports are golf and skiing.

Prince Floris is the fourth son of Princess Margriet of the Netherlands who was born in Ottawa during World War II. When he was born the Legion was given the honour of becoming his godparent as a way of marking the sacrifices of Canadians who had given their lives in WW II to liberate the Netherlands. When he reached the age of majority he was invited to become a member of the Legion and an honorary dominion officer.

Dominion Command has sent its congratulations on behalf of all Legion members, wishing Prince Floris and Söhngen a long, healthy and prosperous marriage.

http://www.legionmagazine.com/frontline/journal/05-05.asp

That is so sweet! Such a nice gesture that Prince Floris has such a great group of "godparents". Thanks for the article!

Fun story Oppie! Thank you.

I think it is so nice that Princess Margriet has encouraged her son to continue the ties with Canada (& Canadian veterans in particular) that began in WWII. I remember reading somewhere that Floris spent at least one summer in Canada when he was a teenager. And over the years, he has often attended the parade in Apeldoorn honouring Canadian veterans (& Dutch liberators from other countries).

In early May of this year, the prince presented the awards for the Legion's annual Remembrance contest (held in the Netherlands for the first time). He also, along with Canadian Governor General Clarkson, unveiled a Parks Canada plaque at Het Loo Palace commemorating the liberation of his country. The event was also attended by the late Canadian war hero Ernest "Smoky" Smith. (see pictures below)

Even though he is a member of the Royal House, Prince Floris rarely carries out public duties. He has chosen to pursue a private life/career. So it is quite an honour that he still involves himself with Canadian veterans.

Photos: Veterans Affairs Canada (http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub.cfm?source=feature/netherlands2005/nmedia05/nethimag_may6)

Attachments

• 20050506_02.jpg
    20050506_02.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 263
  • 20050506_04.jpg
    20050506_04.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 314
  • 20050506_05.jpg
    20050506_05.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 337
  • 20050506_07.jpg
    20050506_07.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 321
re

sara1981 said:
im hope she will be great as Princess or Countess when she got married to Floris but she great role as Princess to be? or Countess to be? wait and see get married

Sara Boyce

I believe she is a princess to be (I'm not sure that you asked a question)

re

does anyone have a picture of Aimee at the wedding of Prince Pieter-Christiaan and Princess Anita

Princess Robijn said:
does anyone have a picture of Aimee at the wedding of Prince Pieter-Christiaan and Princess Anita

There are some pics of her with Floris in the wedding thread for P-C and Anita. That thread is located on the Old, New, Royal, and Blue board.

I have read some comments on other message boards that some people have the impression that she is over bearing and less than discreet. Is this the general sentiment of other Dutch members?

Such a comment came as a great surprise to me. I always had the impression (from the little that I've seen of both Anita and Aimee) that both ladies were quite discreet and down to earth as their other sisters-in-law, Marilene and Annette.

I was surprised to see those comments too Alexandria. Normally, I wouldn't think much of them, but they did come from people who I don't think just throw their opinions around lightly.

I know that looking at pictures of Aimee, there is often a hardness that comes across. This was especially evident at the engagement announcement. In photographs taken on that day, Anita came across as a more soft and open person compared to Aimee. But, I am just making my judgments by looking a photographs. And a photograph can tell a thousand stories, but also a thousand lies.

So I too would really love to hear about what the Dutch think of their future princess.

(BTW, Welcome back Alexandria!:))

Squidgy said:
I was surprised to see those comments too Alexandria. Normally, I wouldn't think much of them, but they did come from people who I don't think just throw their opinions around lightly.

I know that looking at pictures of Aimee, there is often a hardness that comes across. This was especially evident at the engagement announcement. In photographs taken on that day, Anita came across as a more soft and open person compared to Aimee. But, I am just making my judgments by looking a photographs. And a photograph can tell a thousand stories, but also a thousand lies.

So I too would really love to hear about what the Dutch think of their future princess.

(BTW, Welcome back Alexandria!:))

Thanks for the feedback Squidy. I wouldn't have given the comments much further thought if they hadn't been posted by people whom, as you said, don't put their opinons out there lightly.

I had seen the pictures (pictures here) from the engagement in which Aimee seemed to express herself more "physically" and "exuberantly" than Anita (though not by much) and I chalked it up to simply the excitement of the moment. (Frankly I'd be doing cartwheels if I were announcing my engagement, too -- let alone to a prince!) It was certainly far from the moment when Felipe interrupted Letizia at their engagement and Letizia interjected and asked him to let her finish her comment.

And the few other occasions I've seen Aimee (baptisms and the silver jubilee), Aimee didn't seem to be mugging for the camera anymore than any of the other princesses. She seemed to have entered the service waving and smiling as the others did, and seemed to smile for the cameras afterwards as did everyone else.

(P.S. Thanks for the welcome back! I've missed a lot while I was away! And very striking new avatar you've got!)

Alexandria, when I clicked on the part of your text that says "Pictures here" the first post that comes up is XXPatrickXX's (from the Netherlands) and it says "I love Aimee!!" So I guess we know at least how one Dutch member feels about Aimee.:D:D

Squidgy said:
Alexandria, when I clicked on the part of your text that says "Pictures here" the first post that comes up is XXPatrickXX's (from the Netherlands) and it says "I love Aimee!!" So I guess we know at least how one Dutch member feels about Aimee.:D:D

Oops! Not sure how that happened.

Here are the related posts:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=180280&postcount=36

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=180288&postcount=37

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=180293&postcount=39

I also saw these comments on another board. I was a little surprised, but I understand at the same time. From what little I have seen of Aimee, I like her. But, I guess I can see where an impression of being overbearing and less than discreet can come from. She has a look about her, that may suggest that she enjoys the idea of becoming a Princess. At times, she seems a bit cool, but that could also just be shyness and feeling overwhelmed.

As a dutch poster, I can only day that I was as surprised as the rest of you. But like you aid, the remark comes from reliable posters. I have seen to little of Aimee to judge myself, although during the engagement on television I did not thought anything extraordinairy about her. I will keep my eyes opened however!
Maybe during queesday (I was not able to see it on television as I usually escape the country and go to belgium on that day) she got a bit over excited? But I highly doubt it. She has a somewhat more effeminate bearing then Annette or Anita though.

Aimee does look more pretentious and haughty than her other sisters in laws. But that just might be her look and her personality is completely different.

Floris seems so humble and down to earth though it's hard to believe that he might choose a life partner who was snobby.

Does anyone have more photos they can post of Aimee? I enjoy looking at her style.

Genevieve said:
Aimee does look more pretentious and haughty than her other sisters in laws. But that just might be her look and her personality is completely different.

Floris seems so humble and down to earth though it's hard to believe that he might choose a life partner who was snobby.

I don't agree with you at all. It's just a question of look IMO; I think she's a very pretty woman who dresses well (except that ugly hat for PC and Anita's wedding :eek:). She will be very nice during family events.

They are marrying this thurday and saturday, in Naarden! Is anybody here planning to visit this (small) city on these days?
I onder if the civil wedding is broadcasted on television, or that the scenario is the same as for Pieter-Christiaan, only the religious ceremony live on television and a photoshoot somewhere after the civil one...

How do they decide which city the wedding will be held in? Is Naarden the hometown of the bride or close to where her family is from?

Last edited:
This time they chose the hometown of the bride, Naarden (a posh small city south-east of Amsterdam).
PC and Anita chose for Apeldoorn as the groom came from that city and Noordwijk because the parents of Anita are living there. Bernhard and Annette chose Apeldoorn for there civil wedding and Utrecht for the religious one as Benrhard jr was baptised there. Maurits and Marilene chose Apeldoorn both times, as the groom was raised there.

It seems the two younger brothers chose smaller villages, the marriage seems 'smaller' then those of Maurits and Benrhard jr, who are still in line for the throne.

Untill the wedding of Queen Beatrix all royal marriages were traditionally in The Hague (or abroad, in the country of a foreign princess)

Any news, photos, etc. on tomorrow's wedding? I am looking forward to seeing the ever stylish Aimee!

;) I shall go to the city of Naarden,and try to make nice photo of them and members of the Royal Family.
Its only ten minuts with the train from mine house.

I hope that i get lucky :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Pictures from today ANP. Floris and Aimée were shopping in PC Hoofdstraat in Amsterdam.

Attachments

• 3116717.jpg
    3116717.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 380
  • 3116723.jpg
    3116723.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 396
Yeah, misshelen, thank you for the pictures. It looks cold there -- I notice Floris' hands look cold. And good luck with your photos tomorrow, ropura!

Back
Top Bottom