The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-30-2021, 04:33 PM
Heir Apparent

This Thursday a new book on the prince (Business prince) will be published. The authors talked to lots of people near him but the royal family did not cooperate. According to this book, the prince has an excellent feeling for timing (as evidenced by getting into internet and later on real estate - and probably now racing - at the right moment), is creative and willing to take risk. For him it is all about the reward at the end and he isn't that careful (or principled) in whom he does business with.

Read: Article (in Dutch) by NOS.

Old 03-31-2021, 02:27 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

One of the risks is apparently working with corrupt business partners in Serbia - including the mayor of Belgrade- according to the authors.

Yesterday one of the authors -Michiel Couzy- was talking about his book on the chat show Op1 with (Count) Sander Schimmelpennick.

https://www.npostart.nl/op1/30-03-2021/POW_04917717 at minute 50.

The prince refused to cooporate with the authors. Couzy has written several articles for newspaper Het Parool about the prince, mostly focussing on the prince's real estate portfolio in Amsterdam. They called him 'a prince with a disastrous image' and he does very little to correct that image. Schimmelpenninck says that the prince is like other business men of that generation that grew up in the 1980s with the idea 'greed is good'. Schimmelpenninck and Couzy both urged the prince to give more clarity about his business dealings.

In the programme the prince was defended by a member of parlament - named Wyben van Haga- from the FvD, an extreme-right party of Covid-deniers and anti-semites. Van Haga was involved with a scandal involving real estate in Amsterdam which led to him be kicked out of the Liberal Party of the Prime minister a few years ago, after which he radicalized and joined the FvD.

--
During the attack on the Royal Family in 2009 Prince Bernhard was absent due to an illness. According to the authors, if the killer had succeeded in his attack it would have meant that Bernhard would have been prince regent until Amalia's 18th birthday. According to the authors the prince sometimes makes a joke about it to intimi: 'Can you imagine? I was almost called to something higher!'.

Apparently the prince has been sending whatsapp messages to the authors of this book, filled with a list of reproaches. He is claimed to have written: 'I assure you: Willem-Alexander is not amused'.

https://royalinsider.nl/prins-bernha...source=dlvr.it

Old 03-31-2021, 06:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Have any other members of the family since Prince Bernhard senior been so polarizing on the basis of their commercial activities? The degree of controversy seems unusual for a minor member of a European royal family.
Old 03-31-2021, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

How is Prince Bernhard's health?
Old 03-31-2021, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Supposedly his health is fine -though he does have the Crohn's disease which is chronical - but he is in a high-risk catagory for the rest of his life probably, which is why he was vaccinated before most other people.

Quote:
Have any other members of the family since Prince Bernhard senior been so polarizing on the basis of their commercial activities? The degree of controversy seems unusual for a minor member of a European royal family.
No, it has never been a problem for anybody else. Neither was it for Bernhard before he started to get involved in real estate. Now he has become the symbol for everything that is wrong with the rather tight and over-heated housing market in Amsterdam and in much of the rest of the country. An issue that affects many people directly, so some of them will have rather strong opinions about it.

The only cousin that caused scandal was princess Margarita of Parma & her first husband, but that was far more serious due to their accusations involving the government and royal family. Among other things they accused the RF of trying to ruin his business. Their interviews show some parallels with the present situation in the UK with the duke and duchess of Sussex.
Old 03-31-2021, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Probably not the best idea sending whatsapp messages to the authors!
Old 03-31-2021, 07:35 AM
Majesty

Marengo is tat true that he is the owner of 300 houses in Amsterdam ?
Old 03-31-2021, 07:46 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Probably not the best idea sending whatsapp messages to the authors!

I agree, it sounds a bit condescending and intimidating also.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
I agree, it sounds a bit condescending and intimidating also.
Exactly what I was thinking and also involving the king too.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Marengo is tat true that he is the owner of 300 houses in Amsterdam ?
According to Mr. Couzy of Het Parool newspaper the prince has 590 adresses on his name. A spokesperson of the prince claims that the prince is only one of four owners of these properties (I suppose his company has 3 other business partners) and that the prince himself only has 25,5 properties on his own name.

Note that the prince and his company bought several former office buildings that they are converting into a high number of appartments, among them the rather large former ING office in the Westerpark & plans to construct new buildings on this site and the former CBS headquarters on Bickerseiland. I assume this may partly explain a high number of adresses that is owned by the company. And considering the state these buildings were in [I worked in one of them so I saw it first hand] I am not quite sure it is a bad thing that they are investing money into converting these buildings. Sadly for many these new appartments will not be affordable for those with an avarage salary as they are aiming for a higher segment to make the projects as profitable as possible.

Were he not related to the royal family I am quite sure his ownership of these properties would never have featured in the national -or even in the local- news btw. As it is he is the ideal villain for those who are frustrated with the housing crisis that many parts of the country is in. I am not sure if it is completely fair to blame the prince for all that is wrong. He is simply doing what the market and laws are allowing him to do, with little regard for societal implications perhaps. Decades of decreased public spending, liberalisation of the housing market, deregulation and big delays in the construction of affordable housing is the main issue, but that is a more complicated story than just to blame a prince.

In 2020 his private wealth was valued by some magazines at 80 million Euros. But I have no idea how they reached that conclusion.

----
As to the whatsapp messages: there were reproaches in a whatsapp exchange. The authors tried to get in touch with the prince and to let him clarify his part of the story - I suppose that is why the conversation started. The part about Willem-Alexander was supposedly said in a private conversation with one of the authors.

Tags
prince bernhard jr., princess annette, van vollenhoven