The Duke and Duchess of Bragança and Family: February 2008- December 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I must say, Duarte looks so like his grandfather Miguel II. Amazing!

According to newspaper Expresso, Afonso (14) is going to study in England, from September onwards. The private school was not revealed, but it's the same Catholic school on the outskirts of London, where the Liechtenstein princes are also studing.
In Lisbon, Afonso used to attend a Catholic private school, where he was not the top of his class, but had good marks in Science.

The duchess was always against the idea of her children studying in "colégios internos" - boarding schools, as Colégio Militar. So, I find this news a bit strange. Elsa, you once posted that Afonso was having bullying problems at school. Do you know if this recent decision has something to do about it?

This family live sclose to several very good private schools as Carlucci American school or International christian school of Cascais, both located in Sintra.

Maybe the decision has to do with giving Afonso a more contact with european young nobles, who knows?

Dunno... I suppose it's a mix of both.
As much as good the Portuguese private schools may be, in Lisbon he will always be regarded as the weird boy who thinks deserves to be the king... that must be a terrible stigma for a teenager to live with.
In England, this class consciousness is part of the culture, so he will be seen as "normal"... especially if the Liechtenstein princes and other nobles are attending the same school... he'll finally be among his peers.
Besides, it's good for him to study abroad and be introduced to other cultures. Nowadays, it's what most everybody does, when entering University... he's just antecipating the decision... 3 years.

Thanks Juanita. The whole wedding seems rather trendy/flashy. Funny to see the duke and duchess between the guests, do you know how they are acquented to the bride and groom?

Thanks Juanita. The whole wedding seems rather trendy/flashy. Funny to see the duke and duchess between the guests, do you know how they are acquented to the bride and groom?
I have no idea, Marengo... I asked the same question and so far I haven't found anything that shows some kind of friendship between the couple and the duke and the duchess :ermm:

Maybe the bride & groom are friends with them I would think so since the Duchess of Cadaval was also there.

Last edited:
I believe they were invited, because the family of the bride has noble origins. Besides being an influent businessman (auctioneer), João Thomaz Perestrello Pinto Ribeiro (her father) is some kind of knight :cool:
Ok so I've only been to one or two wedding in Portugal so forgive me for my ignorance, what are the balloons for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so I've only been to one or two wedding in Portugal so forgive me for my ignorance, what are the balloons for?

Looks like they are hiding the bride and the groom from not authorized cameras, so it is probable they sold the exclusive coverage of the wedding to some media.
So bad taste, IMO!

Looks like they are hiding the bride and the groom from not authorized cameras, so it is probable they sold the exclusive coverage of the wedding to some media.
So bad taste, IMO!
Yes... that's it. They sold the exclusive to Caras.

Well there's not much to hide! The bride looks like she wrapped a wash-cloth around her head and tied a curtain to it as a veil!

heeh! True, indeed.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thank you Elsa! I suppose it isn a coinsidence that the Duke celebrated this in the Northern part of the country, which is supposed to be more conservative and monarchic?

Nice to read the duke referring to a poem of Fernando Pessoa: the time is now! The duke is one of the few pretenders to the throne who is actually always promoting the monarchist cause. Although it comes with the job I don think it does his image a lot of good, as it makes him seem out of touch with reality.

Thank you Elsa! I suppose it isn a coinsidence that the Duke celebrated this in the Northern part of the country, which is supposed to be more conservative and monarchic?
Guimarães is often referred to as the "Cradle" of Portugal... it's where D. Henrique established the administrative center of the Condado Portucalense, where D. Afonso Henriques (the first king of Portugal) is said to have born... and it's where the batle of S. Mamede took place (in 1128).
It's a symbolic (and very beautiful) town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom