The Duke and Duchess of Bragança and Family: February 2008- December 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a coinsidence, I will be staying in Moledo next week(s) and have a visit to a Monção planned to taste Alvarinho wines!

I suppsoe that it is a group of people who like to drink this wine and comes together to taste it a different occassions? In Holland we have the Genever brotherhood, who does something simular (but tasting Genever instead of wine). And I guess there will be more of these things all over Europe.

A Cronfraria is a group of people who like the wine (in this case) and sometimes comes together to taste it. The main role of a Confraria is to divulgate the wine, its history and defend the traditional way it is produced. When you become a Confrade you're accepted in that "brotherhood", so you join the other confrades in the many iniciatives they have but you also have the duty to divulgate the wine. So a confrade is somehow an ambassador of the wine.

Note that there are many kinds of confrarias in Portugal, there are confrarias of almost any traditional food/drink. Their main goal is to divulgate and preserve the product they are representing.

Thank you Julliette, very well explained!
And welcome to Portugal Marengo :)

What a coinsidence, I will be staying in Moledo next week(s) and have a visit to a Monção planned to taste Alvarinho wines!

I suppsoe that it is a group of people who like to drink this wine and comes together to taste it a different occassions? In Holland we have the Genever brotherhood, who does something simular (but tasting Genever instead of wine). And I guess there will be more of these things all over Europe.

The north of Portugal is absolutely beautiful, and I'm not just saying that because that's where I'm from or anything! ;) But Moledo is nice and perfectly located between Caminha and Ancora, Ancora has nice beaches too! And if you're going to Monção you should visit the palace where the Duke of Bragança was which is the Palacio da Brejoeira which recently opened to the public. Palcio da Brejoeira - Mono - Portugal

D. Duarte and D. Isabel of Braganza were at the wedding between Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia, head of the Royal House of Prussia and head of the German Imperial House, and Princess Sophie of Isenburg.

[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto

Yesterday, October 5th Portugal celebrated the beginning of the Republic but monarchists reunited in Coimbra to remember it was also in October 5th (but of 1143) that Portugal became an independent country with the Treaty of Zamora.

D. Duarte was obviously among them. Here is a video about it.

http://youtu.be/AhVdwPVrPK4

The Duchess of Bragança attended the launch of Charles Philippe d'Orléans book "Reis no exílio" - Kings in exile.

It deals with all the royal families who moved to Portugal, during and after WW2 such as the Savoys, Orléans, Bourbons, Bulgaria, Roumania and Hungarian Regent Admiral Horthy.

There is a chapter on the turbulent visit paid by the Duke and Duchess of Windsor shortly before the war, when Hitler planned to kidnap the king and take him to Germany to use him as a puppet monarch when the invasion would succeed.

Plenty of photos, many of them from the personal archives of the people described in the book.

According to C-Ph the main source was his grand-mother the late Countess of Paris who told him endless stories about that period she so intensely lived.

Back to the Duchess of Bragança, she made the launching speech:
Família Real Portuguesa: DISCURSO DE S.A.R., A SENHORA DUQUESA DE BRAGANÇA NA APRESENTAÇÃO DO LIVRO "REIS NO EXÍLIO", NO HOTEL PALÁCIO - ESTORIL 15 DE OUTUBRO DE 2011.

Among the audience, Pr.Michel de France, Ch.Philippe's father and his unofficial step-mother, D.Isabel de Bragança (Lafões), her ex. D.Pedro de Bragança, Infante D. Henrique, and of course , the Duchess and the Dowager Duchess of ´Cadaval.

Correction

The Dukes of Windors' visit was already in 1940

The Windsors visit was already in 1940, after the war had began.

After the turmoil the visit caused, the Duke was shipped to the Bahamas, far from Germany's reach

HRH Duke of Braganza and HRh Duchess of Braganza were in Bucharest these days for the Jubilee of Hm King Mihai I.

^^ Thanks for the scans Elsa M.:flowers:

The pics are really nice. D.Isabel is so beautiful and Maria Francisca is gaining some features of a woman already and is becoming as beautiful as her mother:) Anyway, Dinis is the cutest. He seems to be the most outgoing of the family, no? He's always smiling while is sister and brother seem to be a bit shy. Do you know in which school Afonso is studying in England? Is is the same Infanta Elena's son was?

Do you know in which school Afonso is studying in England? Is is the same Infanta Elena's son was?
I believe it's the same private school as the one attended by his cousins of Liechtenstein.
One thing that bothers me about the boy is that he's always so stiff, with his head up, as if he was wearing an invisible crown. It may not be the case, but it comes accross as a perky atitute, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom