The Bragança and Saxe Coburg Gotha siblings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCuriousPerson

Commoner
City
Lisbon
Country
Portugal
Hello to all!

I would like to start a thread with photos and informations about the Bragança and Saxe Coburg Gotha siblings, the children of Queen Maria II and King Fernando (Ferdinand) II of Portugal.

If there is already a post about this topic can you please inform me?

Thank you!

TheCuriousPerson :)

Hi!

Hello Julliette!

I'm not sure if you already received a message from me because my internet went down...:ohmy:

If you have I apologize for sending you another message.

Thank you for the welcoming wishes. ;)

I will search in the thread you posted so kindly. Later I will add some photos of the siblings. :)

Photos

This photo is from the Royal Collection Trust. Only Pedro is missing in the photo.
From left to right: Fernando, Antónia, Luís (with the top hat), Maria Ana, Augusto and João.
They all looked so serious. But they seem adorable. :)
The "photo" (daguerreotype) was taken in 1854.

Attachments

• 1854.jpg
    1854.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 636
Photos

King Pedro V, the Beloved or the Hopeful.

He was a very cultured young man, very fond of his brothers and sisters. And always alerting brother Lipipi (that is how they treated little Luís) of his rather naughty behaviour.

Attachments

• 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 629
This photo is from the Royal Collection Trust. Only Pedro is missing in the photo.
From left to right: Fernando, Antónia, Luís (with the top hat), Maria Ana, Augusto and João.
They all looked so serious. But they seem adorable. :)
The "photo" (daguerreotype) was taken in 1854.

There are still descendants of d. Maria II?

The Romanian and Saxon Royal families for starters are descendants through her daughhters

The Romanian and Saxon Royal families for starters are descendants through her daughhters

Through Saxony also the Habsburgs, the descendants of Emperor Karl I. and his brother and also the Palatin line and the Princely Family of Hohenzollern again and through the Hohenzollern Prince Leopold of Bavaria and his brother Prince Adalbert.

Thank you for all the replies. ;)

Yes, fortunately there are still descendants from Queen Maria II and King Fernando II of Portugal.

King Manuel II had no children (though he married with the beautiful Princess Augusta Victoria, grand-daughter of Princess Antónia of Bragança and Saxe Coburg Gotha, later Princess Hohenzollern Sigmaringen through marriage by Prince Leopold Hohenzollern Sigmaringen).

But as it has been said here, the remaining descendants belong to the Hohenzollern Sigmaringen line and Romanian (since Aontónia's eldest son became King of Romania), as well as their Saxon cousins, the descendants of Princess Maria Ana of Bragança (Antónia's sister) who married Georg of Saxony.

Both princesses were already living outside of Portugal when King Pedro and his brothers (except Luís) became ill and died. :(

Photos

This is one of my favourite photos of Pedro and Luís. It belongs to the Royal Collections.
Luís is standing and Pedro is seated. Very handsome boys. :)

Attachments

• 554976_10151595725860761_84779606_n luis e pedro.jpg
    554976_10151595725860761_84779606_n luis e pedro.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 1,001
Nice to see the thread "growing" with pics and information about their descendants.

BTW, TheCuriousPerson, did you send me a message? I didn't receive it.

Hi Julliette,

Yes, I sent you a message before the one posted here but I see now that you didn't receive it because my internet went down when I clicked to send. But what I meant to tell you is in the message posted above. :)

Princess Maria Ana

Does anyone have photos of Princess Maria Ana of Bragança? She married Prince Georg of Saxony.

I've only seen about 3 photos which are commonly available online. Does anyone have more to show? When she was a child and when she was already married? Perhaps with her chilldren?

:flowers:

Pedro

No one willing to share more photos?

Today I leave this one. It also belongs to the Royal Collection of HM Queen Elizabeth II.

It is King Pedro during his trip through Europe in 1854.

Attachments

• pedro V 1854 fotografo desconhecido royal collection.jpg
    pedro V 1854 fotografo desconhecido royal collection.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 587
I'm interested. I've seen lots of pictures on the internet I can share here.

Where do you get these pictures?

Blog Real, I wrote with each picture where I took them from. It was from the Royal Collection of HM Queen Elizabeth II, which is available online.

I'm glad to know that there are people interested after all. :):flowers:

Prince Fernando

Prince Fernando of Bragança and Saxe Coburg Gotha. He died of typhoid fever as his brothers, King Pedro V and Prince João.

This photo I don't remember where I took it from. I should have written...:sad:

Attachments

• Infante_Fernando_of_Portugal 1861.jpg
    Infante_Fernando_of_Portugal 1861.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 435
Today, it's the time for Prince João :)

Attachments

• 66848075_136294296993.jpg
    66848075_136294296993.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 281
This is actually the only photo of Prince João that I know (excepting the group photo with his siblings already posted here). Has anyone ever seen another? Have you that photo? Can you post it here?

:flowers:

Lovely princess Maria Ana (married Georg of Saxony).

Attachments

• 89860826.jpg
    89860826.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 307
This is one of my favourite photos of Pedro and Luís. It belongs to the Royal Collections.
Luís is standing and Pedro is seated. Very handsome boys. :)

CuriousPerson, I also like this photograph of Luis and Pedro.
It is nice in families to have photos of the brothers like this one.
You, the viewer, can learn about the caring bond that each brother had for the other.

Group portrait of members of the Portuguese Royal Family, in 1861. Standing: Infante D. Luís, Duque do Porto (1838-89); Prince Leopoldo de Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (1835-1905); Infante D. João (1842-61); Infante D. Augusto, Duque de Coimbra (1847-89); Prince Carlos de Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (1839-1914); Infante D. Fernando (1846-61). Seated: Infanta D. Antónia (1845-1913); D. Pedro V of Portugal (1837-61).
https://c026204.cdn.sapo.io/1/c0262...he_Portuguese_Royal_Family_(1861).png?size=xl

Group portrait of members of the Portuguese Royal Family, in 1861: (standing) Infante D. Augusto, Duque de Coimbra (1847-89); Prince Leopoldo de Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (1835-1905); Infante D. Luís, Duque do Porto (1838-89); Prince Carlos de Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (1839-1914). Seated: Infante D. João (1842-61); Infanta D. Antónia (1845-1913); D. Pedro V de Portugal (1837-61), and Infante D. Fernando (1846-61).
https://c026204.cdn.sapo.io/1/c0262...ortuguese_Royal_Family_(1861).svg.png?size=xl

Back
Top Bottom