Royal Family of Portugal 3: December 2007-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As to Saramago, I think, he is a strange person with his theories of Portugal being incorporated by Spain. Also, I don´t think he deserved the Nobel Prize.

Well we are certainly agreed on that Carminha.... Not only has he strange ideas, his writing is unpunctuated and very very difficult to understand. Besides, in my personal opinion, terribly terribly boring.

I read about him right now on Wikipedia. The Wiki article says "Beira Alta", not North of Portugal... but who knows, maybe both places he helped to populate both places :D

Our house in the country is in Beira Alta and we always say "in the north" I think we are about 30 kilometres from Trancoso. Really north would be up on the border I suppose, in Melgaço or Bragança, but my husband considers himself from the north......
To go back to the priest, I wonder if he was the olden days equivalent of Brad Pitt or George Clooney (looks I mean). :whistling:

My own ancestors came from Galizia, when Portugal was still tied up with Spain. They later settled in the region of Minho, north of Portugal. The Galizians speak very similar to Portuguese.

The Galizians and the Portuguese from Minho have also a very similiar personality. :)

As to Saramago, I think, he is a strange person with his theories of Portugal being incorporated by Spain. Also, I don´t think he deserved the Nobel Prize.

I second that! IMO, his books are just like his personality: boring, confusing, and unfruitful.

Our house in the country is in Beira Alta and we always say "in the north" I think we are about 30 kilometres from Trancoso. Really north would be up on the border I suppose, in Melgaço or Bragança, but my husband considers himself from the north......

I consider Beira Alta as centro. And everything above Oporto as North (Norte). Map

To go back to the priest, I wonder if he was the olden days equivalent of Brad Pitt or George Clooney (looks I mean). :whistling:

haha! Well, I think that if Brad or Clooney had lived in that period of time, jealousy would had killed them! :lol:

Does anyone knows why D. Afonso has the title Príncipe da Beira (Prince of Beira)? D. Duarte has the same title and he uses it often. Do they share the title?

Pics of D. Afonso attending several events with his father

I don't know if these pictures were already posted. (I hope not. If they did, please delete them).

From what I understand, and I also remember reading somewhere D. Duarte saying that his son, not him was principe da beira since he is the heir. D. Duarte was principe da beira up to the birth of D. Afonso. When you see in reports D. Duarte being refered to as principe da beira I think its the reporter that doesnt know the diffrence.

Hey Regina!!! We are next to Moimenta da Beira and my husband was born in Sernancelhe (some people say that Marques de Pombal was too, but even if that is not true the family house is still there and he (Pombal) must have been there often). The map says NORTH.....(admittedly JUST north).....
How on earth do you put smileys on a reply if you are not quoting? Help?

At this point Regina imagine a big bunch of smiley flowers.....

Thanks to Menarue :flowers:, I found out a very interesting thing. Maybe some of you already knew it, but well I didn't.

Several Presidents of USA, including George Bush (father & son) are descendents of D. Afonso Henriques, the first King of Portugal.

Click here
Those Presidents who have the red circle are descendents of William I of England.

One King William's descendents, King Edward I, married Leonor of Castilla who was a descendent of D. Urraca of Portugal (daughter of King D. Afonso Henriques).

I couldn't find Sarah Palin in GeneAll.net

Does anyone know something about her ancestry? Maybe she's related with Portuguese royalty too... :D

D. Henrique and his girlfriend organized a common birthday party.
Isabel Nogueira celebrated her birthday on November 5th and shared her cake with the Duke of Coimbra, who turned 59 years old on November 6th.

Photos from Flash magazine:

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8521/flashhp8.jpg

Oh jolly, I wonder why Dom Duarte wasn't there ;). Did the 2nd brother, the duke of Viseu attend?

I thought I recognised him, so hence I wondered, as I thought he wouldn't be too happy with Mrs. Nogueira either. Are the brothers still on speaking terms with Dom Duarte btw, as he does not seem to be overly exited with Isabel Nogueira as the partner of his brother?

I will try to find if I have anything.

Here is a good link with lots of photos but unforuntaly none of Isabel de Thurn e Taxis but they do have info on where she is buried and a photo of her resting place
Thurn und Taxis 1800-1899

I am also interested in the portuguese royals in Germany!If you have anything please post.

D. Henrique and his girlfriend organized a common birthday party.
Isabel Nogueira celebrated her birthday on November 5th and shared her cake with the Duke of Coimbra, who turned 59 years old on November 6th.

Photos from Flash magazine:

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8521/flashhp8.jpg

Her dress is so awful, IMO. He seems to like her, anyway.
Does anyone knows the names of the ex-girlfriends of D. Henrique?

Does Isabel Nogueira have children?

Last edited:
Isabel's dress is not pretty, IMO :nonono: Pedro Campos Henriques and D. Henrique are so different haha! Oh these reporters...

Elsa, do you if Paulo Ferreira is the new boyfriend of Lili Caneças? I thought she was dating a veeery handsome young man called Carlos (or Pedro?) Pimenta.

Elsa, do you if Paulo Ferreira is the new boyfriend of Lili Caneças? I thought she was dating a veeery handsome young man called Carlos (or Pedro?) Pimenta.
I've no idea... and I must add: I don't care either :cool:

I wonder, did the duke and duchess of Bragança attend? Or Dom Henrique's other brother?

I don't think D. Duarte and Dª Isabel attended the party, since Isabel Nogueira was never accepted by them. At least that's what I've heard, but I am not 100% sure if that's true.
D. Henrique's brother, D. Miguel attended the party. See first picture

Regina, I'm just curious...what are the backgrounds of the other people in the photographs?

Well, basically they're socialites... people who are famous for nothing but attending parties...

Regina, I'm just curious...what are the backgrounds of the other people in the photographs?

As Elsa said, just socialites. Well, Isabel Meirelles is a politician, but the rest of them do nothing interesting to be mentioned, Keith ;)

Last edited:
Canonização de Nuno Álvares reabre guerra de descendência - Portugal - DN

The descendants of D. Nuno Álvares Pereira (1360-1431) attended today the canonization of the Constable, at the Vatican. The family of the Duke of Cadaval (which keeps nowadays the surnames Álvares Pereira) was represented at the ceremony by Rosalinda, Diana and Alexandra deCadaval.​

Meanwhile, the canonization of D. Nuno Álvares Pereira has awaken the "war" between royalists.​

D. Duarte, who attended the ceremony as a representative of the Royal House, clains to be a direct descendent of the new saint, while Nuno da Câmara Pereira stated in a press release, that the only family which may representat the Saint is the family of his wife, D. Lusa de Sousa Coutinho.
Confrnted with the polemic, D. Duarte (who traveled to Rome accompanied by his wife and their three children) said that he is already accustomed to the attacks of Câmara Pereira and took the opportunity to remember that there are many families in Portugal that descend from D. Nuno Álvares Pereira.​

There are many families in Portugal descended from D.Nuno Alvares Pereira and I think it is very strange that Nuno da Camara Pereira should say what he did.
Who does he think the Duchess of Cadaval is descended from? This feud is getting ridiculous and if we can believe D.Duarte all stems from Nuno de Camara Pereira being denied the right to be entitled D.Nuno, for which he blamed D.Duarte.

This feud is getting ridiculous and if we can believe D.Duarte all stems from Nuno de Camara Pereira being denied the right to be entitled D.Nuno, for which he blamed D.Duarte.
Yes quite ridiculous, especially considering that they're arguing about a non-reigning family, which doesn't even have the smallest chance to reign again :cool:
It is said that the reason behind Câmara Pereira's attitudes is that incident in the Nobility Counsel, when D. Duarte didn't allow the Câmara Pereira brothers to be styled "Dom"... go figure. :whistling:

Last edited:
I would just like to add some information about D.Nuno Alvares Pereira, his father had 26 children so there must be a lot of people related to him as well as descended from him.

I don't think Nuno da Câmara Pereira has right to talk this time. Dom Duarte was there as a representative of the Royal House (for those who accept him as that of course) not as D. Nuno Alvares Pereira representative.

They go to Rome to pray to their new saint, they say wonders about the humble life of this new roman-catholic saint but... they refuse to behave like he did! Going to the Vatican to discuss who should be the representative of D. Nuno is too much, IMO :lol:

We don't know the real reasons for this fight between Nuno and Duarte (since Nuno never told why he stopped supporting Duarte), but if the real reason is the "Dom" issue, that seems a silly reason, IMO.

For a real Christian, as Nuno and Duarte call themselves, the best and important title is to be called "child of God". All the rest is just blah, blah, blah.
As Elsa said, all this is getting ridiculous.

I wonder if Diana and Rosalinda talked to each other this time, I hope so. I like Diana very much but I would like to see her in good terms with her half-sister...

Last edited:
They go to Rome to pray to their new saint, they say wonders about the humble life of this new roman-catholic saint but... they refuse to behave like he did! Going to the Vatican to discuss who should be the representative of D. Nuno is too much, IMO
Indeed it is... the royalists should be ashamed of the political and ideological exploitation they are doing of D. Nuno and his canonization... The only thing they have accomplished with this was to transform a national hero into the banner of a petty monarchic cause.
No wonder the majority of the population didn't pay much attention to this canonization... if they wanted to transform a saint into a monarchic symbol (or worse: not even a symbol of all royalists)...
It's really too much :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom