Restoration of Monarchy in Portugal

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Exactly, it's just out of courtesy. The monarchists in Portugal are a very small number and they're not actively promoting a restoration atm. I've personally only met one person who was a monarchist and it was something of a family tradition, not a strong belief.

The chances of a monarchy being restored in Portugal are next to 0. In fact, the Braganza Monarchs are lightly but frequently made fun of on television by comedians.

I do not agree. I am a monarchist and I am Portuguese. There are many monarchists in Portugal yes. And there are several monarchist movements in Portugal (Cause Real, Portuguese Monarchic Youth, Royal Associations, PPM, etc). You probably do not know them.

Welcome to TRF :flowers:

Last edited:
Monarchist officials want to change constitution to allow referendum

The Portuguese Association of Monarchical Autarchs (APAM) will launch a petition on the Internet to remove the expression "republican form of government" from the Constitution and replace it with "democratic form of government", so that it is possible to refer to the monarchy in Portugal.

"The public petition seeks to change the expression 'republican form of government' to 'democratic form of government'. It is up to the Portuguese people to pronounce in this public petition on the right to be able to change if one day understand it, "APAM president Manuel Beninger told reporters on Saturday at a dinner in Braga attended by a hundred monarchist inspiration commemorating the fourth anniversary of the Monarchical Autarchs, with the objective of preparing the III National Convention of the APAM.

The expression in question - a republican form of government - is included in Article 288 (b) of the Constitution of the Portuguese Republic and prevents it from referring to the monarchy in Portugal.

"This is not a referendum, it's a path to the referendum," said the APAM president.

To this end, the Monarchist Councilors will request meetings with the PS, PSD and CDS to propose amendments to article 288 of the Constitution, in order to make possible a referendum on the Republic or Monarchy.

Manuel Beninger said that a large number of Portuguese voters would like to express their views on the way in which the state is organized, as in other countries such as Spain, Brazil and Australia.

"It does not make sense that the Portuguese can not choose between Monarchy and the Republic and that this right is forbidden to them by an anti-democratic imposition", emphasized.

"A king represents the nation. Because he is not elected, he is absolutely free of lobbies, pressures, economic groups, and party interests. The king represents all the Portuguese ", maintained the president of the monarchical mayors.

Tired of living in a country called "Portuguese Republic" [...] "which is bankrupt, without principles and without morality", the monarchical authorities say they want to "return to live in Portugal".

The III APAM Convention was scheduled for October 13 (Saturday), in the city of Oporto, where the 220th anniversary of the birth of King Pedro IV of Portugal will be celebrated.
https://ominho.pt/autarcas-monarquicos-querem-alterar-constituicao-para-permitir-referendo/

Monarchist officials want to change constitution to allow referendum

The Portuguese Association of Monarchical Autarchs (APAM) will launch a petition on the Internet to remove the expression "republican form of government" from the Constitution and replace it with "democratic form of government", so that it is possible to refer to the monarchy in Portugal.

"The public petition seeks to change the expression 'republican form of government' to 'democratic form of government'. It is up to the Portuguese people to pronounce in this public petition on the right to be able to change if one day understand it, "APAM president Manuel Beninger told reporters on Saturday at a dinner in Braga attended by a hundred monarchist inspiration commemorating the fourth anniversary of the Monarchical Autarchs, with the objective of preparing the III National Convention of the APAM.

The expression in question - a republican form of government - is included in Article 288 (b) of the Constitution of the Portuguese Republic and prevents it from referring to the monarchy in Portugal.

"This is not a referendum, it's a path to the referendum," said the APAM president.

To this end, the Monarchist Councilors will request meetings with the PS, PSD and CDS to propose amendments to article 288 of the Constitution, in order to make possible a referendum on the Republic or Monarchy.

Manuel Beninger said that a large number of Portuguese voters would like to express their views on the way in which the state is organized, as in other countries such as Spain, Brazil and Australia.

"It does not make sense that the Portuguese can not choose between Monarchy and the Republic and that this right is forbidden to them by an anti-democratic imposition", emphasized.

"A king represents the nation. Because he is not elected, he is absolutely free of lobbies, pressures, economic groups, and party interests. The king represents all the Portuguese ", maintained the president of the monarchical mayors.

Tired of living in a country called "Portuguese Republic" [...] "which is bankrupt, without principles and without morality", the monarchical authorities say they want to "return to live in Portugal".

The III APAM Convention was scheduled for October 13 (Saturday), in the city of Oporto, where the 220th anniversary of the birth of King Pedro IV of Portugal will be celebrated.
https://ominho.pt/autarcas-monarquicos-querem-alterar-constituicao-para-permitir-referendo/

The article in question says:

As leis de revisão constitucional terão de respeitar:

[...]

b) A forma republicana de governo;

That pretty much rules out any constitutional revision that would result in the restoration of the monarchy. What are the chances that the mayor's initiative will be successful ?

The aim is to change this law of constitution.
I do not know what the odds are, but I hope they can change.

What length of time period would be required for the change of the law?

HIGH MINHO: MONARCHICS WANT TO 'DESTROY' ARTICLE 288 OF THE CONSTITUTION OF THE REPUBLIC

Article 288 (b) of the Constitution of the Portuguese Republic remains under close fire by the Portuguese monarchists, and the Alto Minho is no exception. "The Constitutional Review Laws will have to respect the republican form of government." A norm that, said the president of the Royal Association of Viana do Castelo, Aníbal Marinho, makes that "the Constitution is not democratic".

Now, the faithful complain to the crown, this imposition of "republican form of government" prevents a possible referendum on a possible return to the monarchy. "This is an impediment that is not democratic. The people who want to return to the monarchy can not do it because the Constitution prohibits this popular will, "he explained. "In order to hold a referendum, a change to the Constitution will first have to be made. Only then can we think of a referendum, "he said.

For the Royal Association of Viana do Castelo, the changes in letter b would change from "republican form of government" to "democratic form of government". However, for Aníbal Marinho, it is still necessary "some demystification of the monarchical ideal" with the Portuguese. "There are still many people who do not understand it, linking it to the past. The most democratic countries in Europe and where human rights are defended staunchly are monarchies, as is the case in the countries of the north of this continent, "he said. "People will have to understand the role of the monarchy and the king as Head of State. The king is impartial, independent and head of state of all the natives of a country ".

It is already this Friday that the Royal Association of Viana do Castelo, together with the congener of Braga, holds in Viana do Castelo the Dinner of the Conjurated. An initiative that will be marked by the award ceremony of the School Contests organized by the Royal Association of Viana do Castelo, in the academic year 2017/2018, on the theme "October 5, 1143 - The day Portugal was born". Among the individuals that should be present, there are names such as Ascenso Simões, Ilda Novo and José Manuel Carpinteira, deputies in the Assembly of the Republic; Miguel Alves, Mayor of Caminha; and MEP Jose Inacio Faria.

Ironically, while Republicans value the date of October 5, 1910 [the date on which the Republic was established in Portugal], monarchists celebrate the same day ... but of the year 1143. It was on that date, they say, "on which occurred the foundation of Portuguese nationality due to the efforts and merit of D. Afonso Henriques, the first King of Portugal, who benefited from the work carried out by the Archbishop of Braga, Dom João Peculiar, in favor of the constitution of the new kingdom of Portugal. "

The Dinner of the Conjurated is scheduled for 20:00. It will take place in Quinta da Presa, in the parish of Meadela, in Viana do Castelo.
https://www.radiovaledominho.com/al...zDHmUYp_y2xOwpSbG9ookJ1UjdtjNo2UUoxY3m-cdNZqU

The APAM - Portuguese Association of Monarchical Mayors argues that the people can choose between monarchy and republic.

The APAM - Portuguese Association of Monarchical Mayors argues that "in the forthcoming legislative elections, it is urgent to elect deputies of monarchical inspiration on a multiparty side so that the ill-fated article 288 (b) of the Constitution can be changed and the Portuguese people can be given the power to democratically choose the form of state representativeness it wants: monarchy or republic ".

The article in question imposes the Republic as the only form of government in Portugal.

APAM President Manuel Beninger told JN that the Portuguese must be able to choose "from an exempt, over-partisan king, defender of our homeland, representative of the 900-year historical legacy of our history, or to continue on" make believe that we are not bad »with the election of a said president elected not by the majority of the population but by the vote of the" less bad "".

"We have a presidential election where the huge abstention of those who do not see themselves in this republic wins any Republican candidate," he said.

The fifth anniversary of APAM was celebrated on Monday in the city of Porto, at a convention with 80 counselors, held under the motto "On the route of the king of Portugal and Brazil in Porto". The event included visits to places of the city where Dom Pedro IV is evoked, in monuments.

The convention was the guest of honor of SOAMAR Brasil - Society of Friends of the Brazilian Navy.
https://www.jn.pt/nacional/interior...-deputados-e-mudar-constituicao-11141419.html

But is the King "over-partisan"? Dom Duarte Pio is quite in the Conservative and Catholic spectrum of society, while maybe he should be more neutral on this.

But is the King "over-partisan"? Dom Duarte Pio is quite in the Conservative and Catholic spectrum of society, while maybe he should be more neutral on this.

Does the Roman Catholic Church of Portugal support Dom Duarte Pio in his quest to be the King?

Dom Duarte Pio is not a partisan, but has the support of practically all Portuguese monarchist movements.

How popular is the Prince of Beira of in Portugal?

Afonso is popular with Portuguese royalists. The Prince of Beira is close to the Portuguese Monarchical Youth (an association of young royalists in Portugal), recently also led a reforestation action in Serra da Estrela and Serra da Gardunha. Afonso also participates in the delivery of the Príncipe da Beira Prize. Afonso has done a good job representing the Portuguese Royal House.

Afonso is popular with Portuguese royalists. The Prince of Beira is close to the Portuguese Monarchical Youth (an association of young royalists in Portugal), recently also led a reforestation action in Serra da Estrela and Serra da Gardunha. Afonso also participates in the delivery of the Príncipe da Beira Prize. Afonso has done a good job representing the Portuguese Royal House.

This is so astonishing to know. His zeal will eventually pay off. :flowers:

Not to put down other 2nd in line (younger generation) of deposed royal families, most of them, doesn't really show great zeal or even show interest in continuing their family legacy.

Last edited:
Current State of Portuguese Monarchism

As of writing this, the only political party within the Portuguese Republic to advocate for the nation to become a constitutional monarchy is the People's Monarchist Party, a party that is not supported by Dom Duarte Pio, the Duke of Braganza.

The People's Monarchist Party is right-wing with its ideology consisting of monarchism, conservatism, euroscepticism, subsidiarity, and agrarianism. The party has zero seats in the assembly, zero seats in the European parliament, two seats in a regional parliament (not sure which one), and sixty-seven party members elected into various positions of local government.

Currently the party is part of the right wing populist coalition known as Basta (Enough!). The other members of the Basta coalition are the far-right CHEGA party which is currently polling around 10% in the opinion polls and the right-wing Citizen and Christian Democracy party. Basta's ideologies include the nationalism and populism of CHEGA, the monarchism of the People's Monarchist Party, and the Christian democracy of the Citizen and Cristian Democracy party.

I'm worried that the biggest pro-monarchy party being associated with the far-right could kill any chance of Portugal's center-right, center, and some center-left leaning citizens of supporting the nation to become a constitutional monarchy, regardless of the Duke of Braganza's popularity. This could keep support at around 15%-20% indefinitely.

I think that there are no links between the PPM (Partido Popular Monárquico) and CHEGA. And if there are, I don't know them.
PPM was part of the Basta! with CHEGA and the Citizenship and Christian Democracy Party in the 2019 European elections.
But I think it was just that.

I firmly believe that Portugal won't become a constitutional monarchy. To be honest, the Portuguese people don't have anything against a monarchy per se (I don't even hear debates and such). Those who have lived during the last monarchy days have already died.

The problem is with the dictatorship period. This awful period is still vivid in the hearts of the population (my parents remember certain parts of it, and my grandparents remember it all). People fought for human rights and freedom of speech, and we finally got our freedom in 1974 (a crucial event that happened not too long ago, and it is the most important National holiday in our calender).

The Portuguese people are very proud to have achieved the right to vote, so how can Portugal become a monarchy and strip the citizens of vote? It's a downgrade, and not an upgrade. People will certainly oppose it. That's why Portugal will never become a monarchy again (we saw many human rights and civil rights movements on this year's Presidential elections since it was a bit controversial around one candidate, and the people fought and spread on social media to advocate the right to vote in order to be against fascism and chauvinism).

In fact, I believe that it is hard for a constitutional republic to become a monarchy again. Not only for Portugal, but for the other countries who are constitutional republics now.

Last edited:
I firmly believe that Portugal won't become a constitutional monarchy. To be honest, the Portuguese people don't have anything against a monarchy per se (I don't even hear debates and such). Those who have lived during the last monarchy days have already died.

The problem is with the dictatorship period. This awful period is still vivid in the hearts of the population (my parents remember certain parts of it, and my grandparents remember it all). People fought for human rights and freedom of speech, and we finally got our freedom in 1974 (a crucial event that happened not too long ago, and it is the most important National holiday in our calender).

The Portuguese people are very proud to have achieved the right to vote, so how can Portugal become a monarchy and strip the citizens of vote? It's a downgrade, and not an upgrade. People will certainly oppose it. That's why Portugal will never become a monarchy again (we saw many human rights and civil rights movements on this year's Presidential elections since it was a bit controversial around one candidate, and the people fought and spread on social media to advocate the right to vote in order to be against fascism and chauvinism).

In fact, I believe that it is hard for a constitutional republic to become a monarchy again. Not only for Portugal, but for the other countries who are constitutional republics now.

I also think that it is difficult to restore the monarchy in Portugal. This happens for several reasons, but mainly because the monarchy was abolished more than 100 years ago. Virtually no Portuguese alive today has memories of that time.
It is true that our neighboring country, Spain, is a monarchy and the Portuguese even like to follow what is happening in the Royal Family and the Spanish monarchy.
But I believe that the Portuguese, at least the majority, are satisfied and many do not even care about the regime. Basically they accept that Portugal is a republic and do not even question whether they could have another type of regime.
There is a part of the Portuguese who would like Portugal to be a monarchy, but they don't usually say much about it, except from time to time on social networks, there is also a party that defends the restoration of the monarchy but does not have much expression.
I am a monarchist and I would like the monarchy to be restored. I feel sorry for the way the monarchy ended up in Portugal, unfairly. They expelled the Royal Family from the country in a strange way, for no reason. This two years after the regicidio where they killed the King and the Crown Prince.
The Portuguese were never able to decide what kind of regime they wanted, there was never a referendum in Portugal, which is unfair.

I agree that restoration of Portuguese monarchy is very unlikely. It is not anymore in living memory. What longer from abolition has passed time more unlikely restoration is. Same thing is with any all monarchies which have abolished so long time ago that it is not anymore in living memory. Republicanism has already so strong support even among conservatives that moar pwoplw son'r anymore bother with the issue.

The President of the Portuguese Monarchic Youth, Sebastião Sá-Marques, was interviewed last June 28, 2021 by the magazine Sábado.

The "Unashamed Monarchists" are a group of younger monarchists who are promoting the monarchical cause in Portugal. The page on the social network Instagram was launched in April this year by a group from which the new direction of Juventude Monárquica Portuguesa, led by Sebastião Sá-Marques, would come out.
The Juventude Monárquica Portuguesa – which brings together monarchists aged between 14 and 30 and lives off membership fees and donations – has less than 400 members.
The idea is to grow through social media – the page of "Desaverage" has less than 800 followers – and go to schools and colleges "to show that [they can] be an active part of society". "Nobody wants to know about coats of arms here," he says about the association's ongoing dedusting.

https://www.sabado.pt/portugal/deta...1S21cidqPcYM7ZjbOV-DjAQmKwXGOnrwCc7rShjjr5MUc

https://www.instagram.com/monarquicosdesavergonhados/

The only “ right to vote “ that would be taken away in the event of a restoration of the monarchy would be the right to vote for the President of the Republic . But there are several republics in Europe where the Head of State is not elected by popular vote either, e.g. Italy and Germany, so it is not really a big deal. In fact, having a non-partisan monarch as Head of State would offer many advantages to Portugal compared to the current republican constitution where the President has extensive reserve powers with no accountability.

I believe the Portuguese can look up to nearby Spain and other European monarchies and fully understand that there is no incompatibility between a modern constitutional monarchy and democracy or freedom. The pre-1974 dictatorship BTW emerged in the Portuguese republic , not under the monarchy.

The real problem as I see it is Dom Duarte Pio as his line ( the Miguelistas) represents an absolutist tradition within the monarchy as opposed to to the liberal tradition associated with the now extinct main line.

Last edited:
What are the chances of a Restoration in Portugal?

How likely, on a 0-10 score, is a restoration of the monarchy in Portugal? I know that none of the major political parties are monarchist, but is there significant Royalist sentiment beneath the political radar?

It would be good if the two oldest European allies could both be monarchies once again

Is it true that if Portugal did become a monarchy the citizens would not be able to vote?

Is it true that if Portugal did become a monarchy the citizens would not be able to vote?

It would become a constitutional monarchy, I would presume, with a multiparty system and elections as at present, but with a King rather than an elected President.

How likely, on a 0-10 score, is a restoration of the monarchy in Portugal? I know that none of the major political parties are monarchist, but is there significant Royalist sentiment beneath the political radar?

It would be good if the two oldest European allies could both be monarchies once again

I'd say very very unlikely

Vote all? Like there wouldn't be any elecitons? I don't believe such claims. Surely Portugal would remain as democracy if monarchy would be restored (very implausible). Portuguese people hardly would accept absolute monarchy and EU probably wouldn't accept that and might be quiet frustrated.

Vote all? Like there wouldn't be any elecitons? I don't believe such claims. Surely Portugal would remain as democracy if monarchy would be restored (very implausible). Portuguese people hardly would accept absolute monarchy and EU probably wouldn't accept that and might be quiet frustrated.

Yes, I wonder where that idea came from. The idea of restoration would be to establish a constitutional monarchy. I agree that it seems fairly unlikely (although it would be good of course) but I would be interested to hear a range of views on this.

I don't know the exact number of how many monarchists there are in Portugal. In Portugal there are three monarchic organizations: the Causa Real (https://www.causareal.pt/), the Juventude Monárquica Portuguesa () and the Real Associações ([url]https://www.reallisboa.pt/). These are the monarchical movements that exist in Portugal.
The Portuguese constitution does not allow a referendum to be held to decide whether the Portuguese want a monarchy or a republic.

I don't know the exact number of how many monarchists there are in Portugal. In Portugal there are three monarchic organizations: the Causa Real (https://www.causareal.pt/), the Juventude Monárquica Portuguesa () and the Real Associações ([url]https://www.reallisboa.pt/). These are the monarchical movements that exist in Portugal.
The Portuguese constitution does not allow a referendum to be held to decide whether the Portuguese want a monarchy or a republic.

Thank you Sir. May I ask what the difference is between Causa Real and the Real Associações? I had conflated the two organisations, wrongly believing that the latter was a branch of the former.

Being British I am sceptical about referenda (or referendums, if you prefer) because of the political and social divisions they cause, especially when the result is fairly close. I am sure you understand what I mean.

I understand that some members of the centre right PPD-PSD and CDS-PP are monarchists, although these parties (like all major parties) are officially pro-republic. The monarchist PPM is now quite marginal and I understand that even most monarchists do not support it.

Thank you Sir. May I ask what the difference is between Causa Real and the Real Associações? I had conflated the two organisations, wrongly believing that the latter was a branch of the former.

Being British I am sceptical about referenda (or referendums, if you prefer) because of the political and social divisions they cause, especially when the result is fairly close. I am sure you understand what I mean.

I understand that some members of the centre right PPD-PSD and CDS-PP are monarchists, although these parties (like all major parties) are officially pro-republic. The monarchist PPM is now quite marginal and I understand that even most monarchists do not support it.

Causa Real coordinates, at a national level, the monarchic movement, with the main objective of promoting a political alternative for Portugal.
The Royal Associations are part of the territorial organization of the Royal Cause.
The PPM is a small party and the Duke of Bragança is not part of the party.

Back
Top Bottom