Reliable information about the Farmerking and his wife?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Machabeeus

City
Uppsala
Country
Sweden
Hi

Some time ago I started a researchproject that I hope will end up in a book in the future.
I am researching the lives of the Catholic saint Queen Elisabeth of Aragon (1271 – 1336) and her husband King Denis.
I have read the forumthread about them on this forum: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f201/king-d-dinis-i-the-farmer-and-queen-d-isabel-15719.html, I have read about them on Wikipedia and a friend of mine found a few articles about her in a local university database.

My question to you is if you know any good sourcematerial that I could read to find out more about them?

The following is a book about King Denis: Amazon.com: Cancioneiro d'el Rei Dom Denis (Portuguese Edition): Henry Rosemann Lang, King of Portugal, 1261-1325, . Diniz: Books and this one too: http://www.amazon.com/Liederbuch-K%C3%B6nigs-Denis-Portugal-Portuguese/dp/1144965012/ref=sr_1_24?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1366730651&sr=1-24&keywords=Denis+of+Portugal, unfortunately I do not understand Portuguese. The same here: http://www.amazon.com/Liederbuch-K%C3%B6nigs-Denis-Portugal-Portuguese/dp/1144965012/ref=sr_1_24?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1366730651&sr=1-24&keywords=Denis+of+Portugal, do you know if I can find these book or ones like yhem in English?

This one is in English: King Dinis of Portugal and the Alfonsine Heritage (American University Studies. Series IX, History, Vol 69): Sheila R. Ackerlind: 9780820409214: Amazon.com: Books, but a little bit expensive. Do you know where I can find it to a cheaper price?

I know that King Denis was a musician, do you know where I can find his lyrics (preferably both in English and in Portuguese)?

I know that Saint Elisabeth wrote letters to her brother James if I am not mistaken, do you know where I can find them?

I know that their son Alfonso started a rebellion against his father, do you know where I can find details about that?

I can go on, but you get the point.

I am interested to get all historical information about them that could help me to write a historically correct work of biographical fiction about them.

Anyone here that can help me in my work?

Kind Regards

Hello,

I'm very happy to hear that our kings and queens attract interest abroad.

My knowledge of D. Dinis and D. Isabel is not very big, just the basic things we learn about them in school, and that was many years ago.

Nonetheless, I'm always happy to contribute to increase the knowledge about my country and our history abroad, so, I'll be very happy if I can help you.

I'll start by doing a bit of research in the topics you mentioned and see what I can find. Soon, I'll share it here with you.

You said that you don't understand portuguese, so I assume it's not worth it to share things in portuguese, is it? If it is, let me know.

Also, don't hesitate to ask for help whether you need more material, you want to ask specific questions or you need help with the portuguese.

Good luck with you work.

PS: As you probably noticed, I call them D. Dinis and D. Isabel. These are their names in portuguese and how we all know them here. It's a bit dificult to me to call them Denis and Elizabeth, sounds like talking about different people. Hope you don't mind that.

Well, searching for books about them that are writen in portuguese proved to be a bit difficult, as expected.

A good source for this kind of books is the National Library. Here is their website:
National Library of Portugal

And here are the contacts in case you decide to use their help:

Biblioteca Nacional de Portugal
Campo Grande, 83
1749-081 Lisboa
Portugal

Tel. 21 798 20 00
Fax 21 798 21 40
bn@bnportugal.pt

Maybe they can tell where to find those books or similar ones in english...

I just posted a legend about D. Isabel in the other thread:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...mer-and-queen-d-isabel-15719.html#post1563840

Last edited:
Portugal has very interesting kings. Dinis and D.Isabel have very interesting stories. I also know little about them and would like to know more.

Back
Top Bottom