King Manuel II (1889-1932) and Auguste Vitória of Hohenzollern (1890-1966)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Victoria Princess of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (19 Aug 1890-29 Aug 1966) was a daughter of Wilhelm Prince of Hohenzollern (1864-1927) and his first wife Princess Maria Teresa of Bourbon-Two Sicilies. Wilhelm was a son of Prince Leopold and Infanta Antonia of Portugal. Maria Teresa was a daughter of Francis II of the Two Sicilies and Sophia of Bavaria younger sister of Empress Elisabeth of Austria-Hungary.

Blog Real, It is an honor to hear that you are pleased with the video about the Proclamation of King Manuel II. It is most unfortunate how he lost both his father and older brother, Crown Prince Luis. Do you believe that if the republic had not occurred, Manuel II would have had a successful reign? Also, who would he have named as the heir to the throne?

Blog Real, It is an honor to hear that you are pleased with the video about the Proclamation of King Manuel II. It is most unfortunate how he lost both his father and older brother, Crown Prince Luis. Do you believe that if the republic had not occurred, Manuel II would have had a successful reign? Also, who would he have named as the heir to the throne?

Could the throne have passed to the Orléans-Braganza ? That would be the natural solution from a genealogical point of view.

I believe that Manuel II had had a successful reign.I don't know who would have been the successor. Right now the heirs to the throne are d. Duarte Pio of Braganza and her children.

According to the 1826 Constitution, with the extinction of all legitimate descendants of Queen Maria II, collateral branches would inherit the throne, bypassing foreigners, and it is my guess that the heir to the throne would thereby have been the Duchess of Loulé, descending from Infanta Anna de Jesus.

O Portal da Hist?ria - A Carta Constitucional de 1826: T?tulo V

A SENHORA DONA MARIA II, POR GRAÇA DE DEUS, e formal Abdicação, e Cessão do SENHOR DOM PEDRO I, IMPERADOR DO BRASIL, reinará sempre em Portugal.

Sua Descendência legítima sucederá ao Trono, segundo a ordem regular da Primogenitura, e Representação, preferindo sempre a linha anterior às posteriores; na mesma linha o grau mais próximo ao mais remoto; no mesmo grau o sexo masculino ao feminino; no mesmo sexo a pessoa mais velha à mais moça.

Extintas as linhas dos Descendentes legítimos da SENHORA DONA MARIA II, passará a Coroa à colateral.

Nenhum Estrangeiro poderá suceder na Coroa do Reino de Portugal.

I may be wrong, but King (at the time Prince) Umberto is the man behind them, wearing an uniform. And behind him the other man looks like to be the Duke of Guise.
My guess is that the picture was taken in 1931 in Palermo, at the wedding of Prince Henri d'Orleans and Princess Isabelle d'Orleans e Bragança (later Count and Countess of Paris).

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that really his wife, not his mother?!:ohmy:
The lady in the photo looks like 65, not 20 (AV was born in 1890, and the photo was obviously taken in 1910)!:whistling:

Yes, who is in the picture is the mother of King Manuel II, Queen Amelia.

Closeness is not always based on blood. Royals share something else in common, their roll. Manuel and his father before him had worked hard to strengthen an old alliance between the UK and Portugal. Even in exile, he continued to help build communication between Portugal and UK, working often with George V.

Edward VIII (prince of wales at the time) was supporter at his wedding.

The King lived at Twickenham, London, in his exile after 1910 didn't he (and his wife.)? The BRF were/are often sympathetic to exiled royals who are London based.

The King lived at Twickenham, London, in his exile after 1910 didn't he (and his wife.)? The BRF were/are often sympathetic to exiled royals who are London based.

Yes they did. They lived in a home called Fulwell Park.

https://houseandheritage.org/2019/01/24/fulwell-park/

Twickenham not only had a draw for exiled royals, but for Manuel's family. His own mother was born there. Amelie's father, Philippe, Count of Paris was in his initial exile when Amelie was born. She was born at York house in Twickenham. So were Louis-Philippe and Helene. The family lived there until they returned to France when she was six.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_House,_Twickenham

After their second exile, her father eventually ended up at Stowe House until his death.

Last edited:
I wonder why King Manuel II was so close to the British royal family when he was only a rather distant relative.

Was it perhaps because his mother Princess Amelia of Orleans was a British subject and her family was close to the British royal family?

Was it perhaps because his mother Princess Amelia of Orleans was a British subject and her family was close to the British royal family?

In what year did Amelie of Orleans become a British subject? I thought that she was first a French princess and then would have become a Portuguese subject upon marrying into the Portuguese Royal Family.

In what year did Amelie of Orleans become a British subject? I thought that she was first a French princess and then would have become a Portuguese subject upon marrying into the Portuguese Royal Family.

Before marrying King Charles I of Portugal, Amelia of Orleans lived in England.
D. Amelia spent part of her childhood in England, where she was born, due to the exile to which her family had been subject since Napoleon III had taken the throne of France in 1848. Only after the fall of the empire in 1871, the Orléans were able to return to the country.

And until 1983, people born in British territory were automatically British nationals.

The eldest three children of Philippe, Count of Paris were born in London. They were born at York house. Amelie (as oldest), Louis-Philippe and Helene were all therefore British citizens by birth (anyone born in UK back then were British). She was six when she moved to France for the first time. Her parents were exiled again and returned to London a second time, the year she wed.

Did Princess Amelie of Orleans ever become a citizen of France?

Back
Top Bottom