King D. Henrique I 'The Cardinal'

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
Henrique I, King of Portugal and The Algarves, Archbisshop of Evora (1533-1540-1575-1578), Regent of The Kingdom (1562-1568), Archbisshop of Lisbon (1564-1570), Lord of Guinea, Lord of the Conquest, Navigation and Commerce of Ethiopia, Arabia, Persia and India (1578-1580); (Lisbon, 31 January 1512 - Almeirim, 31 January 1580)

Reign: 1578 - 1580

Predecessor: King Sebastião of Portugal and the Algarves

Succeeded by: King Philip II of Spain (King Philip I of Portugal)

Parents: King Manuel I op Portugal and Princess Maria of Aragon

Siblings: Prince Miguel da Paz; King Joao III of Portugal, Queen Isabel of Spain, Holy Roman Empress; Duchess Beatrice of Savoy, Prince Luis, Duke of Beja; Prince Fernando Duke of Trancoso; Prince Alfonso, Princess Maria, Prince Duarte of Portugal, Duke of Guimaraes

Last edited:
Henry, Cardinal-King of Portugal or Henrique (in Portuguese, pronounced [ẽˈʁik(ɨ)]) the Chaste (Portuguese o Casto) (Lisbon, January 31, 1512 — Almeirim, January 31, 1580) was the seventeenth King of Portugal and Algarves. He ruled between 1578 and 1580.
Henry was the younger brother of King John III and, as a younger son, he was not expected to succeed to the Portuguese throne. Early in his life, Henry took Holy Orders to promote Portuguese interests within the Catholic Church, then dominated by Spain. He rose fast through the Church hierarchy, becoming in quick succession Archbishop of Braga, Archbishop of Evora and Grand Inquisitor before receiving a Cardinal's hat, receiving the Titulus Ss. Quattuor Coronatorum. Henry, more than anyone, endeavoured to bring the Jesuits to Portugal and employed them in the colonial empire.

Read the entire wikipedia article here.

If Pope Gregory XIII had released Henrique I from his ecclesiastical vows, which princesses would have been considered as a possible wife for Henrique?

Documentaries and videos about King Henrique I:

Back
Top Bottom