King D. Afonso II 'The Fat' and Queen D.ª Urraca

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
Alfonso II Sancho, King of Portugal and the Algarves (Coimbra, 23 April 1183 - Coimbra 12 March 1223); married in ? , on ?, 1208, Princess Urraca of Castille (1186 - Coimbra, 3 November 1220)

Reign: 1212 - 1223

Predecessor: King Sancho I of Portugal

Succeeded by: King Sancho II of Portugal and the Algarves

Children: King Sancho II and King Alfonso III or Portugal, Queen Leonor of Denmark and Prince Fernando (Lord of Serpa) and Prince Vincente of Portugal

Parents Alfonso: King Sancho I of Portugal and Princess Dulce Berenguer 'of Barcelona' of Aragon

Parents Urraca: King Alfonso VIII of Castille and Princess Leonora of England

Siblings Alfonso: Queen Teresa of Castille, Prince Raymond, Princess Sancha, Princess Constanca, Prince Pedro (Count of Udell and Lord of the Balearic Islands), Prince Fernando, Prince Henrique and Princess Branca of Portugal, Queen Berengiara of Denmark and Queen Mafalda of Castille

Siblings Urraca: Queen Berengaria of Leon, Prince Sancho, Princess Sansha, and Prince Enrique of Castille, Queen Blanca of France, Prince Fernando, Princess Mafalda, Princess Constanca, Princess Leonor and King Enrique I of Castille

Last edited:
Afonso II (Portuguese pronounced [ɐˈfõsu]; English Alphonzo), or Affonso (Archaic Portuguese), Alfonso or Alphonso (Portuguese-Galician) or Alphonsus (Latin version), nicknamed "the Fat" (Portueguese o Gordo), third king of Portugal, was born in Coimbra on April 23, 1185 and died on March 25, 1223 in the same city. He was the second but eldest surviving son of Sancho I of Portugal by his wife, Dulce Berenguer of Barcelona, Infanta of Aragon. Afonso succeeded his father in 1212.
As a king, Afonso II set a different approach of government. Hitherto, his father Sancho I and his grandfather Afonso I, were mostly concerned with military issues either against the neighbouring Kingdom of Castile or against the Moorish lands in the south. Afonso did not pursue territory enlargement policies and managed to insure peace with Castile during his reign. Despite this, some towns, like Alcácer do Sal in 1217, were conquered from the Moors by the private initiative of noblemen. This does not mean that he was a weak or somehow cowardly man. The first years of his reign were marked instead by internal disturbances between Afonso and his brothers and sisters. The king managed to keep security within Portuguese borders only by outlawing and exiling his kin.
Since military issues were not a government priority, Afonso established the state's administration and centralized power on himself. He designed the first set of Portuguese written laws. These were mainly concerned with private property, civil justice, and minting. Afonso also sent ambassadors to European kingdoms outside the Iberian Peninsula and began amiable commercial relations with most of them.

Read the entire wikipedia article here.

Urraca of Castile (1186 – 1220) was a daughter of Alfonso VIII of Castile and Leonora of England. Her maternal grandparents were Henry II of England and Eleanor of Aquitaine.
In 1208 Urraca married Afonso II of Portugal.

Read the entire wikipedia article here.

Back
Top Bottom