King D. Afonso Henriques 'The Conqueror' and Queen D.ª Mafalda

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
Alfonso I Henrique, King of Portugal (Viseu or Guimarães, ?, 1109 - Coimbra, 6 December 1185); married in? on ?, 1146 Countess Mafalda of Savoy (1125-Coimbra, 4 November 1157 or 1158)

Reign as Count: 1112 - 1128 (de jure), 1128 - 1139 (de facto)

Reign as King: 1139 - 1185

Predecessor (as Count of Portugal): Henry of Burgundy, Count of Portugal (de jure) / Teresa of León, Countess of Portugal (de facto)

Successor: King Sancho I of Portugal and the Algarves

Children: Prince Henrique and Princess Mafalda of Portugal, Queen Urraca of Leon, King Sancho I of Portugal, Countess Teresa of Flanders (later Duchess of Burgundy), Prince João and Princess Sancha of Portugal

Parents Alfonso: Duke Henry of Burgundy, Count of Portugal and Teresa of Leon, Countess of Portugal (illegitemate daughter of King Alfonso VI of Castille and Leon)

Parents Mafalda: Count Amedeus III of Savoy and Countess Matilda of Albon

Siblings Alfonso: Count Alfonso of Portugal, Countess Urraca of Trava, Sancha, Lady of Braganca; Count Henrique of Portugal

Siblings Mafalda: Countess Elisa of Beaujeu, Countess Agnese of Geneva, Count Umberto III, Count Giovanni, Count Pietro, Count Guglielmo, Countess Margharita, Countess Isabella and Countess Guiliana of Savoy

Last edited:
Afonso I (English Alphonzo or Alphonse), more commonly known as Afonso Henriques (pronounced [ɐˈfõsu ẽˈʁikɨʃ]), or also Affonso (Archaic Portuguese), Alfonso or Alphonso (Portuguese-Galician) or Alphonsus (Latin version), (Viseu, 1109, traditionally July 25 – Coimbra, 1185 December 6), also known as the Conqueror (Port. o Conquistador), was the first King of Portugal, declaring his independence from León.

Afonso I was the son of Henry of Burgundy, Count of Portugal and Teresa of León, the illegitimate daughter of King Alfonso VI of Castile and León. He was proclaimed King on July 26, 1139, immediately after the Battle of Ourique, and died on December 6, 1185 in Coimbra.
At the end of the 11th century, the Iberian Peninsula political agenda was mostly concerned with the Reconquista, the driving out of the Muslim successor-states to the Caliphate of Cordoba after its collapse. With European military aristocracies focused on the Crusades, Alfonso VI called for the help of the French nobility to deal with the Moors. In exchange, he was to give the hands of his daughters in wedlock to the leaders of the expedition and bestow royal privileges to the others. Thus, the royal heiress Urraca of Castile wedded Raymond of Burgundy, younger son of the Count of Burgundy, and her half-sister, princess Teresa of León, wedded his cousin, another French crusader, Henry of Burgundy, younger brother of the Duke of Burgundy, whose mother was daughter of the Count of Barcelona. Henry was made Count of Portugal, a burdensome earldom south of Galicia, where Moorish incursions and attacks were to be expected. With his wife Teresa as co-ruler of Portugal, Henry withstood the ordeal and held the lands for his father-in-law.

Read the entire wikipedia article here.

Maud of Savoy (1125–1158), also known as Mafalda, Mahaut or Matilda (in Portuguese always as Mafalda),was the first queen of Portugal. She was Queen consort of Portugal through her marriage to King Afonso I of Portugal (of the House of Burgundy; first king of Portugal) in 1146.
She was the second or third daughter of Amadeus III of Savoy, Count of Savoy and Maurienne, and Mahaut of Albon (the sister of Guigues IV, Comte d'Albon, "le Dauphin").

Read the entire wikipedia article here.

King Afonso I was the first monarch of the Iberian Peninsula to join forces with the Knights Templar.

Back
Top Bottom