Engagement of Infanta Maria Francisca de Bragança and Duarte de Sousa Araújo Martins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blog Real

Imperial Majesty
City
Lisboa
Country
Portugal
The Dukes of Bragança announced today the engagement of their daughter, Infanta D. Maria Francisca de Bragança, Duchess of Coimbra, and Mr Duarte de Sousa Araújo Martins.
Maria Francisca and Duarte de Sousa Araújo Martins got engaged in Timor earlier this month. Infanta D. Maria Francisca informed her parents, the Dukes of Bragança and other close members of her family.
More details about the wedding day will be announced in due course.

Duarte Maria de Sousa Araújo Martins was born in Lisbon on the 14th of May 1992, son of Pedro Martins and D. Maria do Carmo de Sousa Araújo. He has three brothers. Maternal grandson of the well-known architect and painter of sacred art João de Sousa Araújo.
Mr. Duarte de Sousa Araújo Martins has a degree in Law from Universidade Católica Portuguesa and a Master of Laws (Banking and Finance Law) from Queen Mary University, in London.
He is a lawyer, currently a Senior Associate at the Uría Menéndez Proença de Carvalho law firm specializing in capital markets and mergers and acquisitions.
He developed voluntary work throughout his life, namely as General Chief of Missions.

https://scontent.flis6-1.fna.fbcdn....QqiKpHE69djilAjctDP1htpxcMhNQUjHA&oe=63A0B600

https://www.dn.pt/sociedade/infanta-maria-francisca-de-braganca-esta-noiva--15492002.html

Another photo of Infanta Maria Francisca and Duarte taken at the time of their engagement on Monte Ramelau, Timor.

https://c9.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/G3017454a/22406533_meSyC.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations to the Happy Couple and the Infanta Maria Francisca is very like her mother the Duchess!

Congratulations to Maria Francisca and Duarte! Wishing them all the best

What a nice news, many good wishes to Maria Francisca & Duarte!

Congratulations to Infanta Maria Francisca and Duarte! What joyful news before Christmas! :poinsettia:

Congratulations to the couple. What does the bride to be do for a living?

Congratulations to the couple!

Congratulations to the couple!!!!!

Such a lovely news. She always seems like a very friendly and down-to-earth young lady.

Had some hopes that she might become the perfect bride for prince Rafael - but of course that didn't happen; so, it is wonderful to see that she found the man she wants to spend her life with!

He is 5 years older than her but you couldn't tell from the picture they shared.

Excellent news! I wish them the best! Will the groom be known as Duke of Coimbra as a courtesy title?

Is Duarte a common name in Portugal? Or only in certain circles? Or is it just an unlikely coincidence that MaraIa Francisca is going to marry someone that share his name with her father?

Is Duarte a common name in Portugal? Or only in certain circles? Or is it just an unlikely coincidence that MaraIa Francisca is going to marry someone that share his name with her father?

Duarte is a common name in Portugal. It's just a coincidence that Maria Francisca's fiancé has the same name as her father.

I'm very curious about this marriage. The Dukes of Bragança were married at the Jerónimos Monastery in Lisbon. Maria Francisca can choose to get married there. I think the Nossa Senhora da Conceição Church in Vila Viçosa could also be an option. Maria Francisca was baptized in Vila Viçosa. However, the bride and groom can choose another location.

I'm also very curious to know who the wedding guests will be.

Duarte is an Iberian given name and surname, being an alternative Portuguese form of the name Edward (from wikipedia)

I'm very curious about this marriage. The Dukes of Bragança were married at the Jerónimos Monastery in Lisbon. Maria Francisca can choose to get married there. I think the Nossa Senhora da Conceição Church in Vila Viçosa could also be an option. Maria Francisca was baptized in Vila Viçosa. However, the bride and groom can choose another location.

I'm also very curious to know who the wedding guests will be.
The Duke and Duchess are frequent guests at different German royal weddings and celebrations so I'd expect at least a few German guests.

The Duke and Duchess are frequent guests at different German royal weddings and celebrations so I'd expect at least a few German guests.

Yes it's true. I also expect some German guests. And I also hope that the Imperial Family of Brazil will be invited. Afonso, Maria Francisca and Dinis are close to Rafael, Amélia and Maria Gabriela. And the Duchess of Bragança and her children were at the wedding of Princess Amélia and James Spearman in 2014.

Duarte is an Iberian given name and surname, being an alternative Portuguese form of the name Edward (from wikipedia)

The name Duarte was introduced into the Portuguese royal family by Queen Philippa (1360-1415) wife of King Joao I and daughter of John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster. She named her oldest son Duarte (who succeeded his father as King) after her grandfather, King Edward III of England.

According to a friend of Princess Maria Isabella of Savoy-Genoa, the princess was told by the Duchess of Bragança that the wedding of Infanta Maria Francisca will take place on 7 October 2023 at Sintra.

According to a friend of Princess Maria Isabella of Savoy-Genoa, the princess was told by the Duchess of Bragança that the wedding of Infanta Maria Francisca will take place on 7 October 2023 at Sintra.

Thanks for the information. :flowers:
Where in Sintra will the wedding take place? There are very beautiful monuments there. Sintra is a wonderful place.

The wedding will be in October:
The wedding is scheduled for next October, but the ceremony is already starting to be prepared, as D. Isabel said: “They already asked me for help, as there are several things involved, since the wedding will be their way and a party for us, but also for the Portuguese people who have followed Francisca since she was born and will certainly also enjoy meeting Duarte.”

https://caras.sapo.pt/famosos/2023-...PvjHQjREGNW0A-SEQyeloe5h-v-dy_So#&gid=0&pid=1

Infanta Maria Francisca and her fiancé, Duarte Martins, gave an interview to the Portuguese weekly newspaper "Expresso" where they revealed some information about the wedding and other curiosities:

Duarte was already a monarchist before meeting Maria Francisca.

The wedding will take place on the 7th of October at the Jerónimos Monastery in Lisbon.

A broadcast on television is not excluded.

Duarte and Maria Francisca had dinner with Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa, President of the Republic, and invited him to the wedding.

The prime minister will also be invited to the wedding.

Infanta Maria Francisca will be able to wear the same tiara that her mother wore on her wedding day.

The ceremonies start on the 6th with the reception of foreign guests, such as royal families close to the Portuguese royal family.
https://c2.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/G90172a40/22484380_Cnmsa.jpeg

https://c9.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/Gcb18d5fc/22484379_Ikv4L.jpeg

https://monarquiaportuguesa.blogs.sapo.pt/infanta-maria-francisca-e-o-noivo-1132966

Last edited:
We might see some members of the Spanish RF ,Queen Sofia ,Infanta Elena attending?

We might see some members of the Spanish RF ,Queen Sofia ,Infanta Elena attending?

I don't know. Certainly the Spanish Royal Family will be invited. At the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Bragança, Infanta Margarita was present. I don't know who will be present at this wedding.

Statement:
Their Royal Highnesses the Dukes of Bragança is pleased to announce that the marriage of their daughter, Her Highness Infanta D. Maria Francisca de Bragança, Duchess of Coimbra, to Mr Duarte de Sousa Araújo Martins will take place on the 7th October at the Jerónimos Monastery. The wedding will be presided over by S.E.R. the Cardinal D. Manuel Clemente, Patriarch of Lisbon.
The wedding will be followed by a reception in the cloisters of the Jerónimos Monastery.
His Highness and Mr Duarte de Sousa Araújo Martins got engaged in Timor in early December 2022.

Sintra, May 19, 2023
New photo: https://c5.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/Gca183d53/22484515_n4Cz3.jpeg

https://monarquiaportuguesa.blogs.sapo.pt/1133596.html

Today there will be a report on Portuguese television, on the SIC channel, about the announcement by the Portuguese Royal House of the wedding date of Infanta Maria Francisca and Duarte Martins.

https://monarquiaportuguesa.blogs.sapo.pt/1134133.html

On that picture Maria Francisca looks a lot like her mother.

It is great to see that the relations with the current head of state are such that he is invited to this wedding; and it seems they are open to providing the media access without necessarily expecting it. Sounds like a good (but always delicate - as a no longer reigning royal family) balance.

I also noticed that Maria Francisca is a Highness instead of a royal highness. Are her elder brother and parents also only highnesses?

Last edited:
On that picture Maria Francisca looks a lot like her mother.

It is great to see that the relations with the current head of state are such that he is invited to this wedding; and it seems they are open to providing the media access without necessarily expecting it. Sounds like a good (but always delicate - as a no longer reigning royal family) balance.

I also noticed that Maria Francisca is a Highness instead of a royal highness. Are her elder brother and parents also only highnesses?

The Duke and Duchess of Bragança and the Prince of Beira are royal highnesses.
Maria Francisca and her younger brother, Dinis, are only highnesses.

Last edited:
The Duke and Duchess of Bragança and the Prince of Beira are royal highnesses.
Maria Francisca and her younger brother, Dinis, are only highnesses.

Thanks, I already wondered whether it was similar to Norway; which is why I asked about her parents and older brother. I assumed her younger brother would have the same status as Maria Francisca.

The Dukes of Bragança announced today the engagement of their daughter, Infanta D. Maria Francisca de Bragança, Duchess of Coimbra, and Mr Duarte de Sousa Araújo Martins.
Maria Francisca and Duarte de Sousa Araújo Martins got engaged in Timor earlier this month. Infanta D. Maria Francisca informed her parents, the Dukes of Bragança and other close members of her family.
More details about the wedding day will be announced in due course.

Duarte Maria de Sousa Araújo Martins was born in Lisbon on the 14th of May 1992, son of Pedro Martins and D. Maria do Carmo de Sousa Araújo. He has three brothers. Maternal grandson of the well-known architect and painter of sacred art João de Sousa Araújo.
Mr. Duarte de Sousa Araújo Martins has a degree in Law from Universidade Católica Portuguesa and a Master of Laws (Banking and Finance Law) from Queen Mary University, in London.
He is a lawyer, currently a Senior Associate at the Uría Menéndez Proença de Carvalho law firm specializing in capital markets and mergers and acquisitions.
He developed voluntary work throughout his life, namely as General Chief of Missions.

https://scontent.flis6-1.fna.fbcdn....QqiKpHE69djilAjctDP1htpxcMhNQUjHA&oe=63A0B600

https://www.dn.pt/sociedade/infanta-maria-francisca-de-braganca-esta-noiva--15492002.html

Specifically, as general chief of missions for the law faculty at the Catholic University. Thank you for sharing and translating the links. :flowers:

Excellent news! I wish them the best! Will the groom be known as Duke of Coimbra as a courtesy title?

Titles in the defunct nobility were always shared with the spouse, male or female, so I hope the family continues the tradition of equality.

In the monarchy, on the other hand, royal titles were sometimes but not always shared with husbands, so he might not share his wife's courtesy(?) title of Infanta.

Thanks, I already wondered whether it was similar to Norway; which is why I asked about her parents and older brother. I assumed her younger brother would have the same status as Maria Francisca.

Unlike the recent changes in Norway, though, it was always the customary usage in the Portuguese monarchy to reserve Royal Highness for the direct line of succession (Princes and Princesses). Younger daughters and sons (Infantas and Infantes) were addressed as Highness at most within Portugal, though they sometimes were addressed as Royal Highness when abroad (similarly to how Norwegian younger daughters and sons have no Highness predicate whatsoever in Norway since 2002, but are sometimes addressed as Highness abroad).

The Duke and Duchess of Braganca are often present at german royal and noble weddings such as the recent bavarian Wedding. So i guess there will be several of them invited.

I can only read the first part of the interview (so now know that they met at a party of mutual friends on 13 October 2019). Can anyone share a bit more about the subsequent paragraphs that are behind a pay wall?

Back
Top Bottom