Thurn und Taxis Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micas

Royal Highness
Country
Portugal
Some1 have pics from this famely jewels? They semes have a very nice colection of jewels and some of them are very old and belong to a lot of famely. Itr semes they sell all the jewels recently
Some1 can post pics and tell a litle more about there jewels?

micas said:
Some1 have pics from this famely jewels? They semes have a very nice colection of jewels and some of them are very old and belong to a lot of famely. Itr semes they sell all the jewels recently
Some1 can post pics and tell a litle more about there jewels?
Here's some pictures of Thurn und Taxis tiaras past and present

Attachments

• ThurnTiara.jpg
    ThurnTiara.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 13,932
  • ThurnUndTaxisFloral.jpg
    ThurnUndTaxisFloral.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 2,467
  • eugenetiara.jpg
    eugenetiara.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 2,232
  • thurn-taxistiara.jpg
    thurn-taxistiara.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 6,628
Who are the Thurn und Taxis? are they are royal house? what country are they from?

hillary_nugent said:
Who are the Thurn und Taxis? are they are royal house? what country are they from?
They are (were?) one of the richest royal families in Europe. About 300 to 400 years ago, they got the concession from (?) to carry the mail between various cities in Europe, for I believe an unlimited length of time. It did end, and I gather they did get a payout, but have never been able to ascertain the extent of the payout. It must have been handsome.

I wonder how much of their concession grew from spying and/or serving other masters, while doing that ?

Thurn & Taxis is based out of Regensburg in Bavaria, Germany. Compared to the other royal families (prior to WW1), I don't think they controlled a large area of Bavaria. If that is the case, then they were one of the first royals to "dirty" their hands at a commercial trade, albeit a fantastic royal monopoly concession.

Did they actually sell their jewelry. I would go mad!

Attachments

• Gloria15.jpg
    Gloria15.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 2,089
  • Gloria19.jpg
    Gloria19.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,890
Gloria von Thurn und Taxis jewelry

Necklaces, earrings and brooches.

All pictures from www.fotomarktplatz.de

Attachments

• Gloria05.jpg
    Gloria05.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 7,934
  • Gloria06.jpg
    Gloria06.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 5,233
  • Gloria08.jpg
    Gloria08.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 5,482
  • Gloria09.jpg
    Gloria09.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,454
  • Gloria10.jpg
    Gloria10.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 7,246
  • Gloria14.jpg
    Gloria14.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 8,896
  • Gloria17.jpg
    Gloria17.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 9,398
  • Gloria24.jpg
    Gloria24.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 7,372
  • Gloria27.jpg
    Gloria27.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 5,239
  • Gloria30.jpg
    Gloria30.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,430
hrhcp said:
They are (were?) one of the richest royal families in Europe. About 300 to 400 years ago, they got the concession from (?) to carry the mail between various cities in Europe, for I believe an unlimited length of time. It did end, and I gather they did get a payout, but have never been able to ascertain the extent of the payout. It must have been handsome.
Ruggiano de Tassis (Franz von Taxis) founded the postal service in Italy. In Innsbruck, in 1489, Jeannetto de Tassis (Taxis) was appointed Chief Master of Postal Services, and the family held its exclusive position for centuries. In 1516, the Thurn und Taxis family had a postal service based in Brussels reaching to Rome, Naples, Spain, Germany and France by courier. The Thurn und Taxis company lasted until the 18th century, when the postal service was finally bought by the heir to the Spanish throne.
The house of Thurn und Taxis is currently headed by HSH Albert Maria Lamoral Miguel Johannes Gabriel 12th Fürst von Thurn und Taxis, son of Gloria Princess von Thurn und Taxis. Since 1748 the family resides in St. Emmeran Castle in Regensburg. The family's brewery was sold to the Paulaner Group (Munich) in 1996, but still produces beer under the brand of Thurn und Taxis.

More information is available on the family's website:
http://www.thurnundtaxis.de/frs_home.html

Reina said:
Did they actually sell their jewelry. I would go mad!
THe last Prince married a much younger lady, countess Gloria. In the 80's she was known as the "Punk Princess". She would wear fabulous tiaras and jewels with punk, spiked, painted hair. She settled down a lot, especially after her husbands death. Their young son inherited a huge fortune, but his father must have had a lot of debts (I guess the wealth was all tied up in industry, etc.) So Gloria rolled up her sleeves and sold off some of the family heirlooms. Personally, I would have sold one of their MANY castles (prince Phillip is said to have jokingly complained about how FEW homes the queen had compared to the Thurn und Taxis family).

reynard said:
THe last Prince married a much younger lady, countess Gloria.
I gather house rules stipulated that he had to marry an aristo, and she was young enough to be his daughter or granddaughter when they married. The old prince (Johannes?) had a reputation of swinging DC, so he had a bit of hard time to find some-one who would say yes. She came from an impoverished aristo family, so .....

In the 80's she was known as the "Punk Princess". She would wear fabulous tiaras and jewels with punk, spiked, painted hair.
Anything to dispell a myth or two.

She settled down a lot, especially after her husbands death.
The taint was gone. Sorry that I am so snippy, but I prefer the "real story".

Their young son inherited a huge fortune
that he did. Hope he hasn't inherited the vices genes from the men's side of his family.

, but his father must have had a lot of debts (I guess the wealth was all tied up in industry, etc.) So Gloria rolled up her sleeves and sold off some of the family heirlooms.
actually it had to be sold off to pay off the death tax, which is still present in Germany.

reynard said:
Their young son inherited a huge fortune, but his father must have had a lot of debts (I guess the wealth was all tied up in industry, etc.) So Gloria rolled up her sleeves and sold off some of the family heirlooms. Personally, I would have sold one of their MANY castles (prince Phillip is said to have jokingly complained about how FEW homes the queen had compared to the Thurn und Taxis family).
From worldroots.com:
"After Prince Johannes' death, the Thurn und Taxis empire almost collapsed under the weight of death duties and adventurous financial speculation. The princely couple's extravagance also contributed to their mounting debts. Princess Gloria was forced to open the doors of her husband's castles and hold auctions. She also sold off most of the enterprises that were in deep financial straits, while reducing the family's expenditures. The Princess' actions to safeguard the future of her son's inheritance has raised the ire of many members of the family, yet she did not have other options. Johannes' death did not allow him time to prepare his affairs and thus reduce the amount of tax levied on the Thurn und Taxis empire by the German government. Princess Gloria's activities in favor of her son's future seem thus far to have saved a large portion of the family's patrimony. Long-gone are the endless parties, the constant thundering of nightclubs and the nasty encounters with paparazzi. These days, Princess Gloria spends most of her time dedicated to the upbringing of her children and to the dutiful restructuring of the Thurn und Taxis legacy."

I'm surprised that Prince Johannes hadn't planned ahead. Didn't he have a heart transplant?

wait why did they sell their jewels in the first place, when they're one of the richest royal families?

Thurn und Taxis

wait why did the Thurn und Taxis sell their jewels in the first place, when they're one of the richest royal families?
Like many old Princely and aristocratic families, they were rich in assets.
The T 'n T family had extensive land holdings in the Habsburg Empire, especially Bohemia. They had the foresight to transfer the moveable assets (eg furniture, art) to the safer family seat in Regensburg, Bavaria.

Although they, like the Liechtensteins and others, lost their estates in Soviet-occupied Eastern Europe, they had valuable assets securely stored away. The T 'n T "headquarters", St Emmerams in Regensberg is a huge complex. Princess Gloria was quoted as saying that the rooms were stuffed with excess furniture.

So when Prince Johannes died, and death duties had to be paid and the family companies re-organised, these "surplus" assets, plus a number of fabulous jewels from their extensive collection, were sold to raise the cash.

Princess Gloria did not need to sell any of their TWELVE castles/schloss in Germany.

Here is the link to the Thurn und Taxis website: http://www.thurnundtaxis.de/frs_home.html
The pic below is (part of) St Emmerams in Regensberg, Bavaria.

Attachments

• T 'n T St Emmerams.jpg
    T 'n T St Emmerams.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 4,825
Last edited:
Did Gloria have to sell the yacht? Does one have info on the other homes they own?

Last edited by a moderator:
T 'n T Schloss

When Gloria took control of the family enterprises the yacht was one of the first things to go.

A post script to the previous post: St Emmerams, the family seat in Regensburg, has more rooms than Buckingham Palace.

Some years ago in the televised version of Robert Lacey's "Aristocrats" some of the Thurn und Taxis schloss were shown, but it is hard to find a definitive list of what the family owns.

I know this is actually the T 'n T jewellery thread, but a couple of "homes" will have to do.

Schloss Hohenberg - left
Schloss Taxis - right

Attachments

• T 'n T Sclhloss Hohenburg.jpg
    T 'n T Sclhloss Hohenburg.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,364
  • T 'n T Schloss Taxis, Dischingen.jpg
    T 'n T Schloss Taxis, Dischingen.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,289
Last edited:
Whoa, they have 12 castles?!?! O___O that's alot more than most well known royal families isn't it?!?! wow, it must cost heaps to maintain all of them!!!

'Famous Jewellery Collectors' book

EmpressRouge said:
There's a book out there that has a nice profile of the von Thurn und Taxis' jewelry:
Famous Jewelry Collectors by Stephano Papi. I think it's been translated into other languages, for sure into French.

This book's not bad, but it's not strictly a "Royal Jewels" book.
It is divided into three sections: Screen Actresses, Aristocracy, and Society.

The best part is 'Aristocracy':

Cornelia, Countess of Craven (includes ruby & diamond tiara from the French Crown Jewels)
Gladys, Duchess of Marlborough
King Umberto II of Italy
The Princess Royal, Countess of Harewood
The Princes von Thurn und Taxis (gasp! see it to believe it!)
The Duchess of Windsor (OK if you like heavy and clunky)

'Society' includes:

Countess Mona Bismarck (fabulous diamonds & rubies)
Lydia, Lady Deterding (very classy)
Daisy Fellowes (more heavy and clunky)
Barbara Hutton (includes Grand Duchess Vladimir's emerald and diamond necklace with the 100 carat [yes] hexagonal emerald)

Some of the jewels are very well photographed and presented.

wow that nice!

but i never heard that before Thurn and Taxis because more richers than everyone royals! not fair! and plus 12 castles that totally crazy!

Sara Boyce

Castles to spare

sara1981 said:
wow that nice!

but i never heard that before Thurn and Taxis because more richers than everyone royals! not fair! and plus 12 castles that totally crazy!
Sara Boyce
The Thurn und Taxis aren't the only family with lots of property.

The Princely House of Hohenlohe has about a dozen castles/schloss in Germany.

From what I hear Gloria is not well liked around Europe and is well known for the frenetic and unroyal lifestyle from her younger years. The prince had to marry to produce an heir, that is why they married. He, um, had other interests which did not include women. But, to each his own and it is nothing new in royal circles to marry only to continue the royal line.

To this day, not too many are fond of her and her excessive and somewhat bizarre lifestyle choices.

Princess Gloria

His Lordship said:
To this day, not too many are fond of her and her excessive and somewhat bizarre lifestyle choices.

I think you'll find that since the death of Prince Johannes Gloria has re-invented herself as an astute businesswoman, reorganiser and preserver of the family fortune, loving mother, and devout Catholic.

It's a long time since Princess Gloria was criticised for any "lifestyle choices", and this criticism was based on her "outrageous" hairstyles and the fact she liked to ride a motorbike. Very superficial criticisms, I think.

She has preserved the long-time Thurn und Taxis family tradition of providing a daily soup kitchen at St Emmerams for the poor of Regensburg. See this week's Point de Vue for a story on her assisting the pilgrims at Lourdes.

Perhaps Prince Johannes has had the last laugh. His marriage to the young Gloria was designed to provide an heir; she has done much more than that. Maybe he saw the underlying brains and steel in her character which were not obvious to outside observers, but came to the fore following the untimely death of her husband.

When the pressure was on, with her husband's business empire falling apart, Gloria rose to the challenge, and has surprised everyone.

His Lordship said:
From what I hear Gloria is not well liked around Europe. The prince had to marry to produce an heir, that is why they married. He, um, had other interests which did not include women.
In addition to what Warren said, I must say that the prince did not marry Gloria only for a heir. He was notoriously homosexual, OK, but to all accounts (from those who new them), they were the perfect match. The prince was a very difficult man with a wicked and cruel sense of humour. Just one anecdote: One day he was invited to a friend's birthday party. This friend liked exotic fishes very much, it was her passion. She had an aquarium full of very expensive, rare and beautiful fishes. So the prince arrive an his present turn out to be... an exotic fish. The fish is ugly but the friend is polite and places her present in the aquarium with the others. After the dinner the lady go check how the new fish is doing . The other guests hear a huge Boom: the lady just collapsed realising that all her luxury fishes has been eaten but the ugly one. The prince had offered a Pyranha...
After his marriage with Gloria, he calm down a lot. Friends say he found his master. She brought peace to his life and they were in love in there fashion, I think.
About Gloria, she is not particularly loved or hated. She just made a fool of herself few years ago with ludicrous comments on AIDS, but apart from that, she did nothing to be disliked (apart by hairdressers at a time of her life;) )

Warren said:
I think you'll find that since the death of Prince Johannes Gloria has re-invented herself as an astute businesswoman, reorganiser and preserver of the family fortune, loving mother, and devout Catholic.

It's a long time since Princess Gloria was criticised for any "lifestyle choices", and this criticism was based on her "outrageous" hairstyles and the fact she liked to ride a motorbike. Very superficial criticisms, I think.

She has preserved the long-time Thurn und Taxis family tradition of providing a daily soup kitchen at St Emmerams for the poor of Regensburg. See this week's Point de Vue for a story on her assisting the pilgrims at Lourdes.

Perhaps Prince Johannes has had the last laugh. His marriage to the young Gloria was designed to provide an heir; she has done much more than that. Maybe he saw the underlying brains and steel in her character which were not obvious to outside observers, but came to the fore following the untimely death of her husband.

When the pressure was on, with her husband's business empire falling apart, Gloria rose to the challenge, and has surprised everyone.

Well Said. I think people need to look beyond what the press says!

The pearl and diamond tiara has found its way back to France, hasn't it? I think I saw an article about an exhibition of French royal jewellery at the Louvre, and it had a prominent place in the exhibition.

yup, i believe, the louvre bought the paure from gloria during an auction she had after johannes' death.

msfroyste said:
yup, i believe, the louvre bought the paure from gloria during an auction she had after johannes' death.

yes, you're quite correct. the tiara now rests in the Louvre museum in Paris.

wow the jewels are amazing!!! great pics! are all the jewels of French Crown's collection scattered around the world? it'd be cool to put the collection back together for display or something ^__^

Does anyone know the provenance of the other tiaras pictured at the beginning of this thread?

Back
Top Bottom